1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. KaliKid

KaliKid Brigade Member Brigade Member

So what do you fellas use to keep those mugs clean looking? I am a safety razor, occasional straight razor guy myself.

Attached Files:

El Gringo and Gravedigger like this.
  2. Gravedigger

Gravedigger JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

3. KaliKid

Heck yeah! You definitely have an affinity for the finer things if you use a straight razor! :goodpost: What shave soap are you hooked on? Right now I am using Proraso White and sometimes Bella. I have tried some Stirling and it was OK, but not my cup of tea.

Gravedigger likes this.
  4. Gravedigger

Yeah this is a great topic lolol. The best straight razor shave I ever got was from a barber who used a Proraso cream in a tube. I don't know if it was the cream or just his technique but was amazing. I have been using a cream from L'occitne ( Cade) for a few years. It is ridiculously expensive but a tiny bit goes a long way and gets a thick creamy lather pretty quick. A small jar of it lasts me forever... at least that's how I justify spending so much on a cream hahahaha. I haven't tried any of the soaps but have gotten several people Taylor of Old Bond St shaving cream bowl Sandalwood and they ranted and raved. I should expand my horizons as well. Have you tried cream vs soap? I do want to try soap also.

KaliKid likes this.
  5. KaliKid

Spot on!! Thank you and I hope this thread gains some traction. I love shaving and have tried some different soaps, but only a few creams. The one cream I really liked was the one from C.O. Bigelow. You can get it at Bath & Bodyworks. Its pretty cheap, like $10.00 and last at least 3 to 4 months. Was for the Proraso you use, I have NEVER had a bad experience with any of their products. I highly suggest trying their soaps. The Sandalwood is the best smelling IMO. I don't know if I am allowed to post the place I get some shave products from (mods please let me know if I messed up) but I shop a place online call Maggard Razors. They have soap samples pretty cheap so I would definitely check them out if you can. But I am warning you, this is habit forming with so many damn choices out there!! LOL!!

Gravedigger likes this.
  6. Gravedigger

I hear ya! I will be sure to check it out. Same thing with straight razor honing. If you go down that rabbit hole you can easily sink $400+ just to get started. Some of these Jnats (Japanese natural stone) can get up over $1k if you get into collecting. The search for the best shave is in itself a sick hobby. I have found that pre-shave oil is most indispensable. I have been using Art of Shaving and I don't think I could go without it. For after shave Captain's Choice Bay Rum shave balm has been serving me well. A slight tingle and moisturizes well without alcohol. Oh man I wanna shave now lmao!!

KaliKid likes this.
  7. KaliKid

LOL!! Should we leave you alone to get that BBS shave? LOL!! Man, I agree with you on the straight razors, good grief are they expensive. Hey, let's get you off of that Art of Shaving and onto some other goodness. Since you know Proraso, they have a pre and post shave cream. I have tried the preshave oil, but found this cream to be awesome! Now for Captains Choice, you can't go wrong. I have their cherry scent and it is great. Here is my straight for now!

Keen Kutter copy.jpg

K Wiliams likes this.
  8. Gravedigger

That is beautiful!! Love it! Do you prefer the pre shave cream vs oil because it doesn't get loaded on the brush? If so I will be sure to try the Proraso. It will be a tuff switch tho :ronl::ronl::ronl:

I also have a vintage resto'd 6/8 Wade & Butcher which was shave ready. I believe I paid ~$50. The seller gave me his info if I ever needed anything else. I guess he does this on the side. It was worth it too because when I sent my Thiers out for honing it had cost $30 anyway for the service. I will probably get another one soon.

KaliKid likes this.
  9. KaliKid

Now I like Wade & Butcher! I started to get into the straights but then got mesmerized by the many safety razors out there. I love a good slant because you can walk away from a shave without feeling like you ripped your skin off. Now your question is a loaded one regarding the pre-shave preference. I would have to say I like the cream better. I found the oils to screw with the soap I am shaving with. Not all soaps, but some didn't play nice with the oil. The cream is awesome to rub into the skin before the shave. It softens up the hair really well. You can't go wrong with the added layer of protection!

Man, we gotta get some of these people shaving!! LOL!! :)

10. Gravedigger

I hear ya! They are missing out! Ok I'll be sure to try the cream. I do have an Above The Tie Atlas DE safety. I got the open comb in medium. It was SS which I thought would be good afa rust resistant. You can buy other baseplates for different aggressiveness, slant, closed comb, etc. I love it as well. I never tried a slant. I am very sensitive also which was why I switched to the straight. I don't get as irritated for some reason. It may be the edge.

KaliKid likes this.
  11. KaliKid

Ah, so you are sensitive skin as well. You better get you a slant, pronto!! Makes a world of difference! Good luck with the cream. Make sure you write up a review. :)

12. K Wiliams

K Wiliams Little member JDBA Official Member

DE safety razors(or an Andis T-Outliner) for head shaves.

Karve Christopher Bradley.
    Fine Marvel.

20180928_191039.jpg 20181002_180042.jpg

El Gringo, Gravedigger and KaliKid like this.
  13. KaliKid

Sweet razors!! Especially the Karve! Thanks for posting. What blades you using in them fine razors?

K Wiliams likes this.
  14. K Wiliams

K Wiliams Little member JDBA Official Member

Polsilver Super Iridium, and Gillette Silver Blue.

Gravedigger and KaliKid like this.
  15. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I been using a Murkur short handle for at least 8 years now... I bought enough Feather blades to last almost eternity.
    Soaps.. Tabac (favorite) , Proaso green, Speick tube occasionally. I've used some Queen Charlotte and Mikes soaps also.
    After shave... currently Pinaud Whiskey Woods is a favorite. Lucky Tiger, Tabac, Captn's Choice (bay rum and also lime), The Veg on occasion, Clubman original.. it kinda goes on and on.

K Wiliams, Gravedigger and KaliKid like this.
  16. KaliKid

I just got some of the Silver Blues last week and haven't tried them yet. How do you like them?

K Wiliams likes this.
  17. KaliKid

You Sir, are well shaven!! LOL!! I have the Proraso Green as well and love the smell! With the Lucky Tiger, I got the balm but have a problem with it getting flakey. Do you have the splash or balm? The Pinaud sounds awesome. I have the regular Pinuad, but need to expand on the other scents they have. I agree with it never ends for sure. LOL

El Gringo and Gravedigger like this.
  18. Thanos74

Thanos74 Hillbilly Deluxe JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have always wanted to go to a barber for a straight shave, but unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to experience it as of yet. The barber in my home town is pushing 85 and I've never been able to catch him open anyway. Maybe one day I'll get to do the whole hot towel, hot cream, super close straight shave I've only dreamed of thus far! Now, after reading this thread, I'm really intrigued, and I'm going to have to check into getting this checked off the ol'bucket list!

K Wiliams, KaliKid and Gravedigger like this.
  19. Gravedigger

I used to get the hot straight razor shave at the barber whenever I got a cut, religiously. I still do once in a while for sure. There is ALMOST nothing like it... until you start doing it yourself !! Now it's like a therapeutic break from life. I look forward to it every week. I used to dread it!

K Wiliams and Thanos74 like this.
  20. Thanos74

Thanos74 Hillbilly Deluxe JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I hear ya! I've definitely gotta try it. I've often considered getting a good quality straight razor and doing it my self, but since having a new baby recently, its hard to find the time to take a crap, much less try to learn to straight shave! Lol!

KaliKid, Gravedigger and crogers like this.