1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Severtech impressions

ghaltai Apr 3, 2010

1. ghaltai

ghaltai Huge member

I'd read about the Severtech for several years without finding a negative comment. Sure, some foolks said it wasn't their cup of tea, but even they acknowledged the knives many great qualities.

I watched the many for-sale boards, but seldom aw one, and those I did see were priced at retail, so i sent in an order via email, following the instructions on Aaron's site.

A few weeks later Aaron wrote to say that a batch was ready, and to send money if I still wanted one.

I did, and sent my money order, then settled back to wait the 4-6 weeks the website said it might take.

I got lucky, and only 10 days later Aaron wrote to let me know my knife was on its way via Fedex. (useless trivia: I used to work in ine of Memphis's finest restaurants, and we waiters would draw straws to see who had to wait on Fred Smith. He was an arroggant bully who tipped 10%, except on alcohol, on which he didn't tip at all. We were taxed on the entire bill, of course, so waiting on his table was often a break-even proposition. While I admire his business accomplishments, I think he's a slug)

Anyway, after fedex lost the knife for several days, they found it and brought it to my door yesterday.

It surpassed my high expectations.

The finish on the knife is superb. The aluminum slabs are deeply and extensively ebgraved with an overlapping pattern, offering a secure grip from which fluids will easily drain. The geometry of the open side makes for enhanced grip purchase, and the knie feels both comfortable and secure in the hand. It is a -large- knife, but fits my hand well. The open side has deeper lines etched across it for enhanced purchase, a small detail, and indicative of the amount of thought that Aaron puts into his product. Similar jimping is on the grip top, and extends well out onto the blade.

The blade snaps open with authority inertia, you need a good grip on the knife, though it would take a very weak one to lose it in deployment.

The blade is extremely sharp, easily clearing my arm of even the finest little frog hairs. The tanto tip is stout, but needle-pointed. There is lots of discussion on the utility of a tanto, but to me it is the right tip for this knife. It penetrates.

The firing button is located in a shallow rectangular recess. The sizes work to help prevent an accidental opening. There is no 'safety' per se, which suits me. The pocket clip is set up for tip up carry, and the case is not drilled/tapped for tip down. Again, suits me.

The knife is beautifully designed and executed. Aaron takes a lot of pride in his work, with justification. This is a great knife, and a tremendous bargain at 250.00

I ordered a plain knife in black, no serrations, no options. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting another one to pimp

I'll post pix if folks want them, but it is a stock knife, and plenty of pix are on the site at www.severrtech.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  2. jfever311

jfever311 Ya give me fever!

Nice review.

Maybe now is a good time for me to give Aaron a call..........

3. jason.lee740

jason.lee740 West Coast Devil Division

Nice but no pics for us to drool over? :ross:

4. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

I thought there were people waiting a long time for one. Like they paid and never recieved one.

5. ghaltai

ghaltai Huge member

This is the first time I've heard anything like this about Severtech. I researched them pretty well, I think, and never ran across a single complaint. Obviously, my experience was different.

Here are a few pix. I tried to show the depth and clarity of the engraving on the knife case.

6. SSandshark1050

SSandshark1050 Devil @ heart

Aaron D. Riley is a good dude!

It seems that everyone is waiting for or looking for a Severtech knife these days.

ALL of the knives are hand fit, semi-custom pieces. It is very time consuming to get them to his standards in a timely manner. With that said, there is a group of knives (number unknown) still in the works for people who have previous orders on log with Aaron. This means, he is not making "new" knives for sale but rather, making knives for people on lists while not accepting new orders.

Talking to Aaron, there may be a solution to all of this in the near future but it's not for certain. I'll keep you all posted.

I had ONE of less than 15 REALTREE brand camo anodized Severtechs ever made from an experimental run, SOLD it to a great member here and I miss it much....

7. jason.lee740

jason.lee740 West Coast Devil Division

ghaltai, thanks for the sweetass pics!

I can see why they are sought after, they are hella nice.

8. ghaltai

ghaltai Huge member

I realized I had left out warranty info.

Outside of abuse or a torture test, you are covered. Aaron is using top-grade materials, and has put a lot of time and effort into working with his sources.

I'd also like to add that I have never met Aaron, never talked to him. i am just a very happy customer. If the knife had a zit on it, I'd say so.

9. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

i've been waiting a year and a half for a spartan.

someday i will get that e-mail.

i'm really looking forward to it.

nice knife ghaltai! :devilzeek

true pearl of any man's collection.:ssmile:

ETA: lefty spartan for sale on BF right now!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  10. SSandshark1050

SSandshark1050 Devil @ heart

how I do miss this one..... :ssad:

[​IMG]

11. jlowe2

jlowe2 Huge member

that's a classic, SS.!

12. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

Nice!

13. mr2blue

mr2blue Huge member

I sold the Green One which was a mistake but I still have the other 2 which are definite keepers.
    [​IMG]

14. jlowe2

jlowe2 Huge member

nice pair of severtechs you have there mr2blue!

15. badgandy

badgandy Little member

It took a while for Aaron to get back to my Email but it was all business from there/ THE BEST!

16. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

That's good to hear. I sent an email over the week-end to order a Spartan w/o the serrations (didn't know if he does that or not). I followed up with a phone call today and the number listed on his web site was out of service. Hopefully he'll answer my email.... :ssmile:

17. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

Well I managed to find a black on black one on the secondary market after many years of being beaten to the post. This time I was determined to land the fucker and I did.

Its a freaking cool knife no doubt about it. It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. I love the angular lines and awesome machined handles. But the best thing about it is that massive fuck-off blade. Man, its a thick piece of steel.

Love the button too. Its just a button, no fancy bullshit. And the clip is a piece of art. Totally functional. Big deal you say, but so many people cant make a decent clip its embarrassing.

All in all I'd have to say its the king of the heap as far as side-openers go. I think only the large SOCOM can give it a run for its money...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its so freaking cool I want another one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  18. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

after two years i got sick of waiting for aaron to make me a spartan.

i bought a regular tanto here on the JD and sent it to tom krein.

to tell you the truth i like this blade shape better than a regular spartan's.

this is going to be a damn good cutter now that it's not a useless tanto. :easydevil:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  19. ghaltai

ghaltai Huge member

useless tanto?

Tom Krein can work magic with his grinding, and I've always been really happy with his work. He did a beautiful job on your severtech. If I ever get my hands on another I'd be tempted to try that blade profile. But for now, I'm happy with the (extremely useful) tanto:ross:

I'm hoping to get a red handle on the next one.

20. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

Great idea!