1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Serious question/poll

Mr.LaBella Feb 9, 2013

?

Serious question/poll

1. Yes, I would like to see it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I do not think it will work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unsure, and will reply back in this thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CDanger

CDanger Little member

Great idea

More contacts = more knowledge shared

2. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

But nobody from Uranus OK Ron!

3. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

I'll chime in to say I think it would be useful for people within the same country to get introduced so they could use the buy\sell forum more effectively. I'm sure many users outside of the US share the frustration when they see knives for sale that are only shipping CONUS.

I'd be willing to post\contribute in an international section.

4. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

No let them post in all areas of the mighty JD and then send them to the fill:yuna:buster thread.

5. misfit

misfit Somebody check my brain

Huwag akin putulin mo!

Не заставляй меня сократить вас!

Non mi faccia si taglia!

That being said, I'm looking forward to all the cool, crazy and bizarre globally! It a big world and there's alot of shit going on! I can't wait for the International threads in Ultra Hott! Do trolls and mall ninjas exist outside of North America........?:bwah:

M

I guess The Field will be quite robust and entertaining in the near future!:ropeman::devilcorn::manganr:

6. SERE

SERE Huge member

From the point of view that it will make it easier for US citizens to get to know some of the AWESOME work that is made in Europe, I say YES.

As for the language use, English of course.
    Everyone knows a few English words and above this, it is all about the photo's, the specs, the making of.

For those who are interested in checking out non US made knives it might work.

Cheers,
    Wouter

p.s. Ron, good idea to check this out.

7. Warthog

Warthog Enormous member

I think it's a great idea.

Count my vote as yes.

8. TIERRAVENTURA

TIERRAVENTURA Little member

I believe the freedom of JD is a highly desirable forum for everyone in the world, the amount of information one can gather is enormous, but you have to understand that most of the people from non-English-speaking origins are most likely to use the English language as a second language, and that brings some new complications that natives do not take into account.

I noticed, initially I posted a lot more frequently than now, but I´m on the forum every day, several times a day, yet I refrain myself from writing, due to the bullying of moderators. You have to understand that communication is very different for a non-native speaker, we take a longer time to understand what you write, we take a lot more time to compose messages to make sure we do not send a different message, and furthermore, aggressive language used by moderators, sayings, expressions or images of ridiculing users, REQUIRE A LOT OF TIME TO DIGEST, for a non-native speaker due to the STRONG CULTURAL CONNOTATIONS.

IMO, we do not necessarily need a separate forum, we need time to understand the particular interpretation of the rules of interaction, and moderators that take the time to make sure we are plugged into the forum interaction, and that effort from moderators WILL NOT TAKE FOREVER, just a little longer than normal…pretty much like the “LEARNER” sign on cars for new drivers in England … REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT JUST DEALING WITH DIFFERENT LANGUAGES; YOU ARE DEALING WITH DIFFERENT CULTURES.
    Thanks for giving the opportunity to feedback.

desmodus likes this.
  9. Ditch Doctor

Ditch Doctor Huge member

Can we use them for cheap labor, cuz I need some landscaping work done?:manganr: Just kidding!

Seriously though, I think there should be no boundaries. Knife making and collecting in the age of the interwebs truly leaves the boundaries behind. But, I also understand the language difficulties. I know when I look at the Russian knife forum all I can do is look at the pretty pictures with no understanding with what's being said. And google translate is hit and miss.

There are so many international makers that bring entirely new approaches to knives though that really need a broader market among collectors in the US. And there's a lot of international collectors that we US collectors need to change knives with and broaden our collections.

I could see the benefits of having an international area, but I just never thought about. Because it's all good on the nationality front when it comes to knives!

Now excuse me while I go gaze at my navel for a while.

10. vjb.knife

vjb.knife Investigador Subaquatico

Go International

I agree that going international is a good idea.

11. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

Go for it!

Even if (for some reason) it doesn't work, at least we can say we tried.

For the record, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

--voted yes--

12. AILL

AILL Enormous member

Against it. I do not really see advantages. The forum already is international. At least this is my impression. I would not feel tempted to post more or less if there was some "international" section or not.

Andreas

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  13. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I always thought the JDBA was the international area, I can't read half the shit posted in there without running it through a translator. :cheesydevil:

Oh yes, I am on my way to vote. International exchange would be grand the more the merrier. :thumbsup:

14. Steven Licata

Steven Licata knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

15. Cpfrombv

Cpfrombv Huge member

I hate to think that people have actually held off posting because they feel that their English was not "up to par". Every post I have seen by people from outside the U.S. the english has been great. If a person did post one that was a little off, it was never so bad that you couldn't understand them or get the gist of their post. I am going to vote yes in hopes that the ones that have held off posting will start to interact more.

16. knifezoid

knifezoid Bladerunners Systems -=BRS=- Knife Maker or Craftsman

I always say if it sounds like a good idea and leads to progression then
    it's worth the effort to try to make it work.

It will be a lot of work for you though, Ron trying to manage it all.

Get some competent multi-lingual, cultural guys to do it.

And for the record my Chinese sucks butthole so you can count me
    out for any China related forums. I will however post this everyday
    in there:

:KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ::KZ:

Cpfrombv likes this.
  17. donzaucker

donzaucker Little member

I vote yes only if it serves to avoid that many users-sellers indicate knives for sale only shipping CONUS.
    I don't understand why some users choose to sell only CONUS . International buyers pay®international shipping and they buy under their responsability, so why "only shipping CONUS"

AILL and Ditch Doctor like this.
  18. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I voted for yes. Although I don't believe that I would post more if there was an international sextion.. Furthermore I don't think, that non US users tend to don't post, because their english is bad. Grammar Naz*s are everywhere :devilroll:

But, either an international section, or international threads in certain topics.

For example, a thread for european knive makers, would be sweet, because it's a little bit of a hassle for some users to order "over the big lake".
    Also I believe an international pass-around thread would be great, maybe one for europe, one for asia??, australia?.

There is no use for these threads for me, because nobody is willing to send a knife for one week to europe. Custom departments can be a pain in the a**.

As for the language, I believe english is the way to go, it's a "world language", or maybe in a few years chinese :manganr:, just joking.

So to sum it up, yes I believe it's a good idea, but please don't just open an international section without any ideas behind it. It would need a good structure.

itadakimasu

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  19. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

my bad, I posted it twice.

20. Beau71

Beau71 Little member

Good Idea

Sure. Go for it!