1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Searching for a new EDC!

JoeMarion Mar 24, 2011

1. JoeMarion

JoeMarion Huge member

Hey so now that I am back, I have decided that I need to get a new EDC! My price range is $100-200. For this EDC I want a cooler looking design, but definitely be a practical knife. Thanks for the help devils! :madaddy:

I am also curious as to other devils' favorite unique edc, one they carry to show off to others more because I know we all have these!

2. Tank Buster

Tank Buster Rattlehead Devil

For coolness and practicality I would go with the Emerson CQC-8 in stonewash finish. Or if Emersons aren't your thing then I'm pretty sure you can get a Spyderco ti military for around $200.00.

3. JoeMarion

JoeMarion Huge member

Any other suggestions? Those seem to be a little more tactical than edc. I like the emerson, but I feel like there is better out there. Any more ideas?

4. Napo619

Napo619 Huge member

UUmmm.. Are you saying that a tactical folder can't be a EDC??? That's Weird... Im Just sayin..

5. JoeMarion

JoeMarion Huge member

Lol no, I actually like a lot of tactical knives as my EDC. I just like seeing other people's advice on what they like. Maybe something with a little bit more belly to it or something. I really am just trying to find something a little new to what I have.

6. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Huge member

One of my favourite EDC's is simply the Spyderco Caly3 ZDP. Big knife in a small package. But then it all depends on what you think is "practical"

If you're someone that like to carry a bigger knife something else might be in order.

What are your preferences other than your budget?

7. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

You got my vote with the Caly CF. I'v carried one for almost 2 years. The G10/VG-10 version is nice, too, but, both are getting harder to find.

I would have liked to see Spyderco make a slightly smaller version with a 2.75" blade. That would blend in a little better with the way the laws seem to be headed in some locales. Instead, they went to 3.5". Wrong answer.

8. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

My favorite is an LCC, and it is alot of belly. You might might be able to find a M/A for close to your top end. Another one that makes it into my pocket is an old Kershaw Boa, that is a lot of belly. I don't think one will be easy to find but there seem to be a Baby Boa available.
    all da best,
    rats...

9. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Emersons. :bwah:

I'd vote for a Benchmade 950.

10. JoeMarion

JoeMarion Huge member

Oh I really like the BM 950 rift. I think that is what I am going to go with. Thanks SM! Just trying to find a cheap place to purchase it now. :shockedevil:

Thanks for your guys' help!

11. DasFriek

DasFriek Huge member

Me edc list may help.

1. HEST folder, Hard to find but people either love or hate them. Brick of a knife.
    2. Benchmade 950 Rift a little lite sanding on the high edges of the G10 makes it perfect. Smooth and well made, One of BM's top knives.
    3. Bradley/Protech Underboss with Ash Burl inserts as a Sunday knife, 101% Class baby.

I have a Large Sebenza coming but thats out of your price range, But also a ZT 0551 with it and if you can find one its a great knife im told.
    Its a Hinderer collaboration btw with ELMax steel. I know a guy who isnt gouging me on the 0551 and if you can find one they run about $210-$220 with tax's and any shipping they may have incurred.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  12. swamphunter

swamphunter Master Baiter

I'd recommend the Spyderco Paramilitary 2, been carrying this thing for the last couple weeks and it is awesome!

13. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Spyderco Manix 2 Great all around folder. Lots of jimping for grip and slim in pocket. :semper:

14. jujigatame

jujigatame Slanted & Enchanted

Agreed. The basic 154CM Manix 2 can be had for under $100 with shipping. Some of the other variations with the flat grind and upmarket steels could be snagged for $200 or less if you shop around the secondary market and strike good timing on a deal, maybe get one that's been lightly used. The orange handled S30V version may be the most likely to fall into that category. The blue S30V and green XHP models are out there but most folks are looking for $225 for $250 on an NIB example. The CF S90V is beyond that and I don't think many of those are getting past one resell since collectors and users want them bad.

15. jzmtl

jzmtl Huge member

If you are interested in manix, the FFG s30v skeletonized and glow in dark handle manix is available at jsburys.com right now, $140 shipped.

Jeez, I want to see what you consider not slim. Manix is one of the widest and thickest knife I have.

16. Ross

Ross honorary Italian Brigade Member

Zero Tolerance ZT030x. Solid, framelock design, relatively flat, good belly in the blade. Should be available right at the top of your price range, maybe $180 - $200. Emerson Commander would be another good choice.

17. kadinh

kadinh Arrogant Jerk

to put my 2ยข...

I work in a medical clinic (business/admin side) and have on business attire every day, and I wear suits weekly as well. My current EDC options are:

- CRK Large Sebenza 21
    - Spyderco Manix 2 XHP
    - Spyderco Paramilitary 1 Digicamo
    - Spyderco Caly 3 CF ZDP-189
    - Spyderco Native 3
    - Bark River Pro Scalpel
    - Bark River Bravo 1

I try to rotate them all out for EDC (except the bravo 1), and the one I reach for most is the Caly 3. I really like the wire clip (even though I didn't think I would), and the size is just right. I have a Gayle Bradley and a Sage 1 in the mail right now, so they'll be added into the mix as well (and yes, I do have a thing for carbon fiber).

18. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

I would take a look at the new BM 581 Barrage. Hell of a nice package for under $200.

If you want something lighter consider the Ritter Grip. If you can find one in CPM-M4 all the better but the S30V one is pretty cool too.

19. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

My current favorite EDCs are the Manix 2 (FFG S30V), and the ZT 0350 (a little smaller & lighter than the 301/302). Either would be an excellent choice. The Kershaw Tyrade Ti also offers an outstanding value for the buck....full Ti framelock, composite blade, $200 or less on the secondary market.

20. JoeMarion

JoeMarion Huge member

Lol I like the Manix 2 a lot too, but I already bought a blue one from Glenn and even though it is just a collector for me, I don't want to have double knives quite yet while I have a smaller collection of knives.