1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Scot Kalitta dead!

mack1 Jun 21, 2008

1. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

NHRA Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta was killed today at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ.
    His Toyata Solara Funny Car was travelling at an estimated 300mph when the crash occured and his car burst into flames.
    He was taken to Old Bridge Township Hospital where he was pronounced dead from multiple injuries. The crash occured during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA Super Nationals.

State Police confirmed the 2 time Top Fuel Champion, with 18 Career Victories, was killed.

One of the best in Drag Racing is gone.

2. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

3000 mph? What did he have; a matter, anti-matter warp drive?:schmoove:

3. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

:bwah:

4. maui4lowry

maui4lowry Zombie Eradicator Extraordinaire

sad to hear, thankfully it doesn't happen to often with all the safety precautions

5. ctxxxxx

ctxxxxx Level: True Devil

very sad to hear of NHRA's loss of a great driver... i saw the clip where he died and its unbelievable.

6. Bruce

Bruce New Jersey's *other* Bruce

Sorry to hear about that. I have no idea who this guy was, but when you participate in "Sports" like drag racing, you can't be surprised when someone gets killed. :ssad:

7. maui4lowry

maui4lowry Zombie Eradicator Extraordinaire

Just saw the clip, and when he hits that back wall you know there is lil to be done....dam

8. Michelle

Michelle m1 Lady Devil

Anyone got a link to the clip?

Yes, of course I am morbid.

But seriously, RIP to him, but he died doing something he loved.

We should all be so lucky to go out that way.

I can only think of two things I love enough to want to die while participating in them.

m1

9. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

You want to die arguing with people on the internet? :thefinger

RIP Scott Kalitta.

RoadFish and Michelle like this.
  10. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I was pondering this very point a couple days ago.
    Very sad.
    He left behind a wife and two sons.
    I always liked Scott because he would say what ever he wanted , whether it was what you wanted to hear or not.
    A lot like his old man.
    It was 300 m.p.h. and I haven't seen footage yet , but it had to be bad because those cars are pretty safe considering what they do.
    Fron early reports I got from a buddy in Ca. , it sounds like catastrophic engine failure started it off and it just never got better.
    R.I.P. Scott
    J.S.

11. antixbush

antixbush BANNED Fucktard

Damn. What a way to go out though..

12. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:rip: Scott

Jerzee- e thug, it is a lifestyle :shift:

13. Basko

Basko Huge member

Just watched it on the news. The races were on ESPN2 today. When I turned on the TV I turned to the drags and apparently the accident had just occurred a little earlier. Big explosion, fire, and then out of control in a straight line all the way to the end of the strip where he hit the barrier at full speed. Dangerous business. RIP Scott Kalitta.

14. 10x

10x DISMEMBERED

News station coverage link...

http://a11news.com/250/scott-kalitta-crash-video/

Link has a photo, embedded you-tube video and a short write-up

RIP Scott Kalitta

But I have to say....I'd prefer to go out in a blaze of glory doing what I love than to rust.

15. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

“The driver was killed after he lost control of his vehicle,” said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a spokesman for the State Police.

My nomination for the absolutely stupidest thing I have heard in a long fucking time award.
    I knew the shut down lanes were short at E-town , but man ........... he got through it in a big hurry and the sand trap did very little to slow his car down.
    He could have well been unconcious after the explosion........that was as big a "boom" as you'll see in a fuel car.
    That is the first vid I have seen of it and it is as horrific as I expected.
    I can speculate as to what failed in the car......a broken cam shaft probably......that looked bigger than the standard dropped valve , but none of that changes the outcome.
    There will be a lot of " what if 'ing " and possibly some changes to track layouts , adding more room on the back end.
    But when your number comes up in the devine lottery , you gotta collect.
    A sad day in the drag racing community.
    J.S.

16. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

GodSpeed Scott!

It happened right in front of me and Stabber jr[​IMG]

17. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Fixed!

The 0's got away from me on that one!:manganr:

Just viewed the Vid.

Damn.

18. culpeper

culpeper Devil May Hare

Or dead from the explosion. The motors in Funny Cars sit in front of the driver. They also used to mount the motor in the front of the Rail cars as well but years ago they moved them to the rear of the driver.

19. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

I have a question that may be unanswerable at this time, but if as is stated, the engine blew, how come the car didn't appear to slow down? I have blown a few engines just on the Freeway and I slowed down pretty fast after the engine stopped providing power to the wheels.

20. ctxxxxx

ctxxxxx Level: True Devil

i think someone posted the link here in the thread to the video on YouTube. Hell, I was sitting at O'Charleys with my girlfriend when the clip was shown on ESPN!:cool_notcool: