1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Scapegoat Kimura

Jacob Gray Jan 30, 2017

1. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

I'm new to the forum but not new to flipping. I've had plenty of CCC's from my childhood and decided I wanted a quality balisong after one exploded after flinging it across the room into a wall.
    At the time, the 42 had everyone's praise in the Bali community, but unfortunately had been discontinued... lucky me. Fortunately, I was able to pick up a Bradley Kimura 3 for about $100 at a knife and gun show. I had only heard of quality reviews of the knife and was told it was manufactured by KAI. I've been flipping the same knife for about 4 years now it seems like, though my timeline could be a little off. I LOVE IT! However when reading about people's collections and opinions, they rag on the kimura and compliment good Bali flippers by saying "they could make the kimura look like a good flipper". I don't really get it, but maybe that's because I've only ever flipped my kimura and a replicant very briefly. I understand the negative attributes of the kimura but I don't know why everyone else seems to hate it so much. What's your guy's thoughts on it? Is it really that much worse than the 42, replicant, AB, etc?

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I hate it... and yes its that bad.

3. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

What's your major complaint Buddha? From what I've heard, most people hate the weight, handle length, and handle shape. I feel like those are all very subjective things that depend on what your first Bali was. Should be interesting when I finally get a premium balisong....

4. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

For 90$ it was a great buy... but as a competitive flipper it's not great.

The main problem I found with it are that the handles are flat and narrow. The weight wasn't too heavy BUT because it was short in the handle and oddly shaped it made it FEEL heavier than it actually was. For example it's the same length as the 51 but people hardly ever complained that the 51 was short because it had a better handle dims with better balance (although too light).

The only good thing it had going for it was that it was cheap, sturdy and factory loctite.

*** Also, the person who decided that the blade should be bead blasted is an idiot.

5. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

I
    I agree about the bead blast finish. It really sucks. I polished mine then stonewashed it and it looks much better and seemed to flip smoother too. Also go latchless on it now

6. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It was a great knife for the price but as a competitive flipper yes it is not so good, if you pick up a similar weighted knife with longer more ergonomic handles and you can instantly tell the difference, having said that I learned pretty much all of my flipping on a kimura I didn't move on till I had the basics down.

So I guess in closing its a great starting point but you would never see one in a seasoned flippers videos just because once you get past the basics it will become more of a hindrance to your flipping than it is worth.

7. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

All of these things are pretty much true. The reason it was so highly praised was because it was a well built knife that flipped ok-ish with a good warranty at a good price point.

The price vs value is pretty skewed now so it went from being a good knife to pick up if you're just starting, to an overpriced collector's item.

I like the Kimura well enough and sometimes I just want to hear it sing, but there are better knives available and with the price they go for now you're better off saving for a nicer knife.

Unfortunately there hasn't really been anything that properly fills that price point since their discontinuation. Bear-Ops B200 and B400 is the closest at the moment, but they have hit or miss QC. I've bought a few for my friends and definitely lately they've been more hit than miss.

8. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

The BRS barebone is a pretty good starter at 200 dollars I guess.

9. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

i personally love my kimuras i made a name for myself using one back in the day. but that being said its pretty much what wigs said the biggest complaint people have about it is that its flat short heavy and not an all around great momentum holder... while i love my kimis and would never part with them they do make flipping a bit more difficult thats why people tend to not care for em. the longer lighter knives hold momentum better and tend to swing easier and be a hair more forgiving when it comes to a cut unless youre going balls to the wall with it. but yea anyways kimura is great but there are better made and better balanced balis available for a bit more so i guess its a "why bother" kind of mindset seeing as most people seem to want a pure flipper

10. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

Yeah I've been flipping a 42 T-Latch for a few days now and the arguments everyone's making against the kimura are starting to really stand out and make sense. It's a quality knife but awefully awkward to go back to once you become accustomed to longer handles & more ergonomic handles.

11. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i had 2 kimuras and agree the handles seemed thin and heavy for its dimensions. then they released the extremely thin kimura 10 or whatever # it was.

after it all the kimura 1 still seems popular. they sell quickly on the second market and the handles look better for flipping. i was never sure if the kimura 1 had ti handles or if they were steel. if ti then the kimura 1 is the one to have, if steel its probably really handle heavy.

12. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

Yeah to my knowledge, all the Kimuras had steel handles and a couple had steel handles with G10 inlays that came out at the end of the line.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017