1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

S&W 45 Shield

TheBadGuy May 21, 2016

1. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

2. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I dunno if that's going to work. I shot a 9mm SA XDs and loved it; bought the same in .45 and hate it. Bought a M&P Shield in 9mm and love it; not sure if I'd step up for the same in .45 (Unless, TBG says it's GTG, then I'll be all in)... :jdwink2:

View attachment 135854 Tacticool.jpg

3. TheBadGuy

Did you not like the XDs in 45 due to sharp recoil? I will definitely buy one but that doesn't mean I will like it. Time will tell. Recoil wise, I often carry a S&W 340PD (12oz .357) that to me, as more recoil with full power loads than my 4" .44 mag. It's not a good range gun but I can put shots on target and like the extra knock down power.

4. Sheldon_Wickersham

Not so much the recoil, it's just not a comfortable gun to shoot; maybe because I'm using the shorter mag and hot loads. It's just a far cry from the 9mm variant; and, the Shield 9mm is softer shooting.

Also, the XDs grip just sucks from a comfort standpoint - point being, they're both right there, but when I holster up it's almost always the Shield. Maybe I should try shooting the XDs with the extended mag. Wednesday.

5. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

The extended mag REALLY helps from a comfort standpoint, Sheldon. I guess I've just accepted the rather uncomfortable recoil as the price I pay for a tiny pistol with a bigass cartridge. Physics can only be bribed so far. lol

Point being that it's not a range gun anyway, it's for defense. I shoot it enough to stay familiar with it, then switch to my full-frame 1911 for .45 fun. :thumbsup:

6. Sheldon_Wickersham

Well, the .45 XDs with the 5 rnd flush magazine works well at 20’ with some effort and a bicycle inner-tube slipped over the grip, and better with the extended 7 rnd magazine. Most shots were grouped in or around the 3” target with only a few flyers. As I thought, the extended magazine is simply too long for CCW, for me.

With a little time to kill before the scheduled range meet-up, I Googled XDs’ for some reason, and ended up at SA’s website. Something struck me in the Spec’s section, that being mention that the gun shipped with a 5 rnd flush, and a 6 rnd mid length, with a 7 rnd extended magazine also available. WTH? That's not how mine shipped a few years ago.

Looks like I wasn’t the only person having issues. I had fully planned on shooting the gun one last time, then selling it; now, I think I’ll try one of the 6 rnd mid length magazines first…

Back on topic…looking forward to trying one of the S&W Shield in .45…

XDs_ex.jpg

7. GregB

GregB Average member

Shield in .45

I had an XDS 45 pre recall and liked it, but got rid of it due to the way the recall was being handled at the time. Replaced it with a Kahr PM45. One of my favorite carry guns. I'll probably give the 45 Shield a try when it comes out.

GregB

8. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

I still haven't done the upgrade on mine, I just exercise care when I chamber a round. I've heard that the post-recall ones have a much less nice trigger, so I'd rather just be careful, myself.

9. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

[video=youtube;CV3HvFpYBX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3HvFpYBX8[/video]

New Hickok45 video on the 45 Shield. Should be seeing them in your local gun store soon

taoist likes this.
  10. TheBadGuy

Ut Oh. Its already all over gunbroker!! Time to volunteer for some weekend work :bwah:

11. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

The entire gun industry needs to sponsor hickock. If you make a good gun, he will sell it for you :bwah:

That textured grip looks like the stippling I want on my glocks :cry:

12. Sheldon_Wickersham

Funny, after watching that video; the second half where he actually talked about the differences between the guns, I ordered one of the six round 'mid length' magazines for my .45 XDs, instead. :ropeman:

XDs_6.jpg

It fits my hand well...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
    taoist likes this.
  13. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Interesting review, thanks for posting.