1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Russian meteor strike?

Mr.LaBella Feb 15, 2013

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

I would be jumping in that lake! Everyone knows meteors* give you SUPER POWERS! I mean, how many comic books or movies have you watched?????!

Dummies! :doh: :facepalm:

2. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Have at it *Icecube Man*... :thumbsup:

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

10 ton meteor? Thousands injured? Where are the Russian government conspiracy theorists on this one?

If I had hairs on the back of my neck, they would be standing up!

4. Dillon Brock

Dillon Brock strawboss

I just said what,out loud,to myself :bwah:Did you shave your neck?:jdwink2:

5. knifepuppet

knifepuppet Brigade Member Brigade Member

You guys sound pretty convenient?

6. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

Meteor fragments are selling for more than the value of gold rocks

7. Peter Bruno

Peter Bruno Average member

Naturally we will be stocking Meteor-grade steels direct from Russia available to you only through...screw it. I mean Russia got hit by a big space rock. Happened. Let the meteor-marketing feed frenzy begin. :devilroll:

8. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

:devilzeek

Risk of massive asteroid strike underestimated

Meteor in Chelyabinsk impact was twice as heavy as initially thought.

'"Using video recordings of the event, scientists have now reconstructed the asteroid's properties and its trajectory through Earth’s atmosphere. The risk of similar objects hitting our planet may be ten times larger than previously thought, they now warn.'

The Chelyabinsk asteroid had approached Earth from a region of the sky that is inaccessible to ground-based telescopes. In the 6 weeks before the impact, it would have been visible above the horizon only during the daytime, when the sky is too bright to see objects of its size, says Borovička.

“The residual impact risk — from asteroids with yet-unknown orbits — is shifting to small-sized objects,” says Peter Brown, a planetary scientist at the University of Western Ontario in London, Canada, and an author on the Nature papers.

Of the millions of estimated near-Earth asteroids 10–20 metres in diameter, only about 500 have been catalogued. Models suggest that an object the size of the Chelyabinsk asteroid hits Earth once every 150 years on average, Brown says. But the number of observed impacts exceeding 1 kiloton of TNT over the past 20 years alone hints at an actual impact risk that may be an order of magnitude larger than previously assumed, Brown and his co-workers show in their study3. Scanning the visible sky with a view to identifying approaching small objects might be a prudent response, he suggests. One such asteroid detection and early-warning system, ATLAS, is being established in Hawaii.

The Chelyabinsk event highlighted the great use that astronomers can now make of rapidly available information from consumer electronics and social media, says Timothy Spahr, director of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory’s Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

“Calculating meteor trajectories isn’t easy physics by any means,” he says. “I’m stunned at how the fairly good-quality YouTube videos have enabled such beautiful science.'”

http://www.nature.com/news/risk-of-massive-asteroid-strike-underestimated-1.14114

9. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

The sky is falling, the sky is fa

GEEZER and ded i like this.
  10. ded i

:link:

The Chelyabinsk meteor is the largest foreign body to come down to Earth since the Tunguska event in 1908, where a comet or meteor devastated 2,150 square kilometers of Siberia with an airburst, according to Lindley Johnson, NEO program executive of NASA's planetary science division.

Thanks to the amount of dashcam videos, smartphones with cameras, the work of "citizen scientists," and boffins around the world sharing their data, NASA has now piece together exactly what happened during the Chelyabinsk event he explained.

"It's a great advertisement ... " joked Lindley Johnson, NEO program executive of NASA's planetary science division. :yesman:

another :link:

11. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I live in a somewhat rural area, with low ambient light and an unrestricted view of the sky for at least 40 miles in every direction. Great conditions for stargazing....I see quite a few shooting stars, and am always impressed with how fast they zip across the horizon. Makes you wonder about the effect of a sizeable one hitting the Earth at that speed....

12. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

As with Tunguska, it doesn't even have to make it to the ground.

13. ded i

:linkbutton:

(Reuters) - An asteroid that exploded last year over Chelyabinsk, Russia, leaving more than 1,000 people injured by flying glass and debris, collided with another asteroid before hitting Earth, new research by scientists shows.