1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger LCR... who has one?

mongo Mar 1, 2010

1. mongo

mongo Huge member

jskelton... that is some DAMN FINE GUN PHOTOGRAPHY! I think you just made me buy a LCR, and Parker will likely see me into a nice S&W 442. At minimum, I'll be doing the internet hokey-pokey research thingy on it. And remember... it is perfectly acceptable to channel Blazing Saddles in most every situation. In fact, it shows impeccable (damn, that is the first of about 6 different spellings that didn't get the dreaded red dotted fricken' line underneath it, and it doesn't look right to my slightly vodka soaked eyes) taste.

2. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have fired 38 +P through an LCR: Hogue Tamer and Hogue Boot Grip. The trigger is silky smooth and the recoil is not bad with the Tamer. The Boot Grip transfers force into the palm making it an unpleasant experience. If you are used to shooting 357 in a Steel Snubby then the gun is for you. It is light, accurate and fun to shoot. If you're a new shooter, I suggest a heavier frame to tame some recoil.

I was shooting +P in my 357s for a while but the effectiveness of 357 is so much greater. I am more accurate with my Taurus due to the polished trigger than my Ruger SP101. However I am replacing the factory spring with a Wolff 10 lb spring to make it more manageable to shoot rapidly.

Overall, though, the LCR is a great concealment gun given the black finish, light weight and hammerhead design.

The Crimson Trace Laser grip is less comfortable to shoot due to concentration of force in a smaller surface area.

My buddy has one and he said, something is wrong with my LCR. I said "Let me Try". I shot all bullets into a small group (one ragged hole) and I responded, "It's not the gun."

He is a novice shooter and after a few constructive tips he was as confident with the LCR as he was with the Springfield Armory XD 45. All of his shots were in the black.

3. PIC

PIC Unchained

4. XD45

XD45 Average member

I've got one, it's a great gun, regardless of Internet BS; most people who bash them,
    A) don't own one
    B) haven't fired one
    C) bow to the S&W altar (yes, I own a S&W J frame too)
    D) believe every rumor that is posted on the internet chat boards
    :madaddy:

These are my opinions, of course, you are welcome to your own, no matter how mis-informed you might be..................

:bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
  5. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

PIC, my fern, that's just gotta hurt in .357 - my hand already said ouch and I (paraphrased)...

A) don't own one
    B) haven't fired one
    C) bow to the S&W altar (yes, I own several S&W J frames)
    D) believe every rumor that is posted on any internet chat board
    E) shoot more than almost anyone I know

This, or course, is my opinion - others are welcome to their own, no matter how mis-informed they might be... :bwah:

6. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

IWANTTHATKNIFE replies:

a) won't own one
    b) don't need to fire one
    c) don't bow before any gun altar
    d) don't believe most of what I read wrt gun reviews
    e) handled an LCR and an LCP - the LCR I handled missed cycling the cylinder every few pulls of the trigger - not a good sign of things to come.

My firearm collection is very diverse; Ruger makes very good Single Action Revolvers; I traded my ex-wife's SP101 because it was redundant (also divested myself of both the S&W and Taurus hammerless snubnose) keeping the Colt Cobra; and I have more then enough small concealable pocket pistols...

XD - to each their own; the Ruger LCR isn't a handgun that I would feel 100% confident in its abilities so I won't buy one; OK for you; but not me. My opinion isn't based on internet bashing - but from handling one and sifting through a lot of propaganda (gun magazines who get a freebie) written by a lot of "gun experts" - and have never read a bad review from any of them about any gun...

7. XD45

XD45 Average member

I wasn't really pointing at anyone in particular, no attack meant, just making a point about how rumor tends to become accepted as truth. I completely understand your feeling. :ssmile: Plus. I was kinda being a smartass :madaddy:

IWantThatKnife likes this.
  8. IWantThatKnife

no? really?

me too!

9. SuperD

SuperD Sebbiephile

I ordered an LCR for a coworker and she is very happy with it. She is new to handguns but her husband is not. They have no regrets. They put a box through it and are happy. I didn't shoot it myself but handled it prior to transfer and and least for handling it seemed like a nice revolver for the money. Granted, I have handled better but for a higher price. That said, I would not purchase one for my own use. I would get a Smith and Wesson and pay the difference. For whatever that is worth.

10. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

Right......I'm not a gun guy, but how the heck in this day and age can a company make a revolver that misses after a few pulls, I understand the engineering required, so how can it happen, it's not like new technology is it. I mean revolvers have been made for a few years now haven't they.

11. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hmm, even the English guy gets it :bwah:

SuperD, I appreciate your honest feedback about the revolver as well.

I don't bash Ruger, I merely point out what should be obvious. I own a Ruger MKII and 10-22, both used and older and great shooters. I gave a 10-22 to a friend of mine and he loves it.

Maybe Ruger should spend time evaluating how they finish the engineering of their newer designs, since the LCP and LCR both have had samples make it to the consumer with some exceptional flaws in the end product. We all make mistakes from time to time, but this is not rocket science, this is betting someone's life on the proper function of the product.

12. hot.soapy

hot.soapy Hot and Soapy Devil

they do rattle.

13. Parker

I just looked for both the LCR and SW442 at GunsAmerica.

Both can be had, in new or next to new condition, for $450-500 USD.

There's a VERY sexy engraved 442 on GB for $800, but you can have either the LCR or M442 for the same price outside of the fancy ones.

Smith and Wesson weighs about an ounce more. That's nothing.

I traded mine off, about the only gun I've sold, traded or given away in five years I regret, but it was worth it. I'll be snagging another at some point, pre-lock.

14. hot.soapy

hot.soapy Hot and Soapy Devil

pre lock is key

engraved ugly gun. sexy.

15. IWantThatKnife

I don't know about that Parker - I seem to remember a very nice Colt Cobra... ;)

16. Parker

Tim, the Cobra never carried as well IWB. Hell, there was a really nice 1972 Series 70 as well, and I forgot the pair of Pythons and the Trooper which went away.....

Dammit, this is what I get for still being awake. Now I'll just see myself reflected in that Royal Blue when I close my eyes.

17. Mr.H

Mr.H Metamorphysist

S&W is running a $50 rebate on J Frames thru the end of December 2010

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_762155_-1_757992_757992_image

I checked my local Cabela's the other day and they have several non lock 442 Airweights @ $479. Sure makes buying a 442 a no brainer.

That said, the Ruger does have a nicer trigger and that XS-Big Dot is pretty damn nice, too.

Maybe S&W will pony up one of these days and deliver a little sweeter package

I'll be buying a 442 before the end of the year:madaddy:

18. GregB

GregB Average member

Ruger LCR...

I thought long & hard before buying the LCR. When I carry, it's pocket carry 99% of the time. That being said, for the past several years I've been carrying a 17oz Colt Agent beater that I had the hammer bobbed on. I've had a couple of J frames and shot friends. I like S&W, but have always been a fan of Ruger revolvers, love the SP101, but it's too heavy for a pocket pistol, IMHO. I had noticed the rattle before buying an LCR. We (me & the dealer) think that it is the floating firing pin. If you pull the trigger and hold it, no rattle. I was initially concerned that everyone else would be able to hear the rattle, including me and it might be an issue. It hasn't been, never heard it. I admit that the LCR doesn't look traditional and takes some time to warm up to. At first I thought it was butt ugly, but it's kind of grown on me. Long story short, found a good deal on one locally so I bought it. On the way home, I stopped at the indoor range and ran @50 rounds through it pretty quick with the Crimson Trace grips on it. It was fairly accurate, need to practice more with the laser and possibly adjust it. I did have one "short stroke" near the end of the session. Now, after reading the previous posts, maybe it wasn't a short stroke, however I've had similar issues with my Colt Agent and Ruger GP100 when I get tired and/or in a hurry. Need to try it again. I also love the fact that you can change the front site, fairly easily.

I think the polymer frame does a better job of absorbing recoil than any of the steel or alloy framed small revolvers. I've owned/shot 17oz .357's, 21oz .45ACP's, 15oz Airweights, @25 oz Detective Specials & Smiths. The @13oz LCR, IMHO, has less perceived recoil than any of the lighter guns, feels more like shooting the 25oz guns, maybe even better (less felt recoil). I carry it regularly. Every time I do yardwork or mow I've got it on me and loaded with 2-3 rounds of snakeshot followed by 2-3 lead wadcutters.

Look forward to shooting it more. I think it's a good pocket carry gun. I do look forward to shooting the new S&W polymer bodyguard. Like the ambi cylinder release, not as crazy about the laser, although the placement does offer less chance of covering it up/blocking it with your hand.

GregB

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010