1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

RoyalM 2017 Build Off thread

RoyalM Oct 13, 2017

1. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Long overdue it’s time I made something for our annual Build Off.

After recent “mixed” success (see my recent thread) I am torn between using a piece of leaf spring or sticking with the plan and using the piece of O1 I have.

Blade design is going to be a seax, of sorts. I want it to be a decent size, something fit for battle, something I can use when I’m the woods. Here’s a few images I’ve taken as inspiration.

Not sure if I’ll stick to an angular point or the curve of the Bark River.

Current thoughts are:
    1) If I use O1, should I just grind it to shape, drill holes for the handle and grind in the primary bevels. Then HT it and finish it post tempering. This would leave a lot more grinding post HT and the chances for ruining the HT while grinding are higher. I’d need to be more patient and be dipping the blade in water a lot more frequently.
    2) Use the O1 like I normally do. Grind it to almost finish, HT and temper. Then clean, handle, final grind and done.
    3) Forge out the leaf spring. Will take the longest to do.

Will see what happens when I wake up in the morning.

Attached Files:

2. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice to see you on the way :D. Grind the O1 almost to the end. (grit 240, polishing compound on the buffer to round the edge). Quench it, temper it. Clean it ant it's done :D

Scramasax is gooooooooodddddd.

begreen61, Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  3. Everything Mac

Everything Mac Huge member

Something like the picture on the bottom left would be my vote.

Kelper likes this.
  4. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Love the handle you did all that carving I am major impressed .

Kelper likes this.
  5. RoyalM

A busy weekend at the grinder and in the forge.

I had a loose idea of what I wanted to do and proceeded with that. Cut a very basic profile, some unkind critics would describe it as “orcish” but it was a starting point for the design. The handle I was undecided on. Traditionally I’d carry the spine through the line of the handle, with this blade I wanted to try lining up the handle in the centre line of the blade. More like a gladius.

Pics:
    1) sketch of the handle
    2) rough grind of the shape (looked ugly but felt ok)
    3) epoxy and pin the handle slabs on
    4) handle roughly shaped and test chopping and battoning
    5) “glamour shot”

Current thoughts are that it’s a comfortable handle and it chops well. The grind was started as a V grind (pre HT) and then I convexed it afterwards. You can see the dark/scaled parts of the blade that aren’t getting ground now that I have switched grinding profile.

The handle is annoying me, I’ll draw some options on the blade and see what I like the most. It’s all a big experiment so I’m not too precious about it. Cleaning the blade up is going to be a bastard.

Attached Files:

Kelper, Digs FnK and seandavid55 like this.
  6. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Great work. If you want to put away the dark scale on the blade you can complete the convex grind simply on a small mouse pad or linoleum or other smooth support. An abrasive on the support and you work simply by hand. That will complete the convexe bevel on all the edge fastly :).
    But you can keep it as that. That is nice too :D

seandavid55 and Kelper like this.
  7. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Getting seaxy.

seandavid55 likes this.
  8. RoyalM

A few other things popped up, I learned to love the blade shape and handle. It performs like a beast and has earned a place in my pack. Here’s a couple of last shots of my seax.

Basic, ugly, choppy, rough as a dog:

Attached Files:

B Dolim, begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  9. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Looks sort of 'ghoulish' to me! Nice!:clap:

begreen61 likes this.
  10. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Never underestimate a dog ,,they will fuck you up .

Think we need a voting thread ,,hint ,hint:munching: