1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

RJ Martin Picture Thread

RNST Feb 1, 2009

1. giappos

giappos Brigade Member Brigade Member

[​IMG]

2. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

I love fixed blades and his are second to none.

3. giappos

Trout&Bird!!
    That is a 20+ year old knife :madaddy:

[​IMG]

4. WJBennett

WJBennett Huge member

Q36

[​IMG]

5. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Is that a Zirc clip?!

Now that is over the top sharp.

If that is yours, you are a lucky guy.

obi

6. WJBennett

WJBennett Huge member

Thanks Obi,
    Yes it's a carved polished zirc clip.
    It's mine and I am loving it.

7. foamsealguy

foamsealguy Little member

Fuel for Dreams

Fantastic pictures, everyone! They are certainly fuel for dreams of my first true RJ Martin (hopefully soon!). Love to get a Q36 as my first one.

I have been collecting RJM design collaborations, and have most of the Kershaws and all of the ZTs (ZT0606, ZT0600BLK, two ZT0600s). Great designs.

8. giappos

New Q :madaddy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  9. Guillermo

Can't find the words :manganr:

10. RJ Martin

RJ Martin Tactical Knife Maker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Apostolos' Q

Apostolos: Amazing images, as always.......

I have to say, I'm a little bit proud of that knife :manganr:

Matt made the titanium bolster screws, reducing the number of parts not made in-house to just a few. He has since completed a batch of handle and clip screws for me. Wicked precision! Thanks Matt!

The bolster screws are hex broached, they have a "hollow" look to them, which Matt and I thought was interesting. Would love to hear your thoughts on them......

Comments? Bueller?

11. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Comments?

I think that might be best described as a functional art masterpiece.

It's the nicest Q36 I have seen on the forum, I think. I have seen a few with Mastodon and Mammoth scales that were also very nice. But the stag...the bolsters...the clip...even the blade on this one appears to have gotten that little bit of extra love.

It's pretty much as good as custom knives get, I guess, right? We are talking about a guy who makes knives so close to their 'ideal' or 'intended form', one would need a very expensive instrument to even find where the flaws are, if there indeed even are any save finger prints.

Equally stunning is the fact that it's hard to imagine that one guy has such a vast collection of your wonderful works of art.

I hope I can some day finally acquire a simple Q36 plain jane that I can love and use for the rest of my days. Any chance you have an opening on your order list. Ha ha ha!

I cannot help but imagine that it must be very satisfying when even photos of your handiwork can spread happiness around the globe.

In my humble opinion, you are the Michael Jordan of folding knives, RJ.
    obi

desmodus likes this.
  12. WJBennett

WJBennett Huge member

RJ,
    Beautiful Q36 and the new screws look great. The fact that Matt made the in house makes them even more special.
    As a collector/ buyer, I appreciate your transparency in your whole knife making process.
    On a side note, I would love to see you make some knives with hidden screws, especially the dressed up iterations and one offs.
    Have a great Holiday,
    William

13. Guillermo

Blue ti as well? The bolsters take long to match? I'm guessing cutting the material in half was the easiest part but matching the grind not so much. But after doing it for years you probably would make it look easy.

14. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107E-web.jpg
    Guys thanks for the kind words!! I find myself concentrating on high end, dress tacticals of late, as this is where a lot of demand and focus is in the market, and I just participated in the TKI, where it's all high end. So I've been on high-end knives for the past 4 months. I think we all see the custom market undergoing some changes, as it always has, and will continue to in the future. The best approach for success, IMO, is BRING MORE GAME!!
    It is not enough to just gussy up a knife with high end materials any more. You have to bring in artistic elements-Color, style, contrast, etc. and these are often possible through controlling or altering small details to create a new look in a proven design. If that design is already "sexy" in it's plain form, so much the better.

15. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107B-web.jpg

16. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107I-web.jpg
    The supercollider bolsters are cut from round discs. The trick here is to get the pattern to match on both sides. See how the Niobium rods "fall off" the front and top of the bolsters on both sides?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  17. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107K-web.jpg
    "Blue Ocean"
    The handle screws on this knife are courtesy of Matt. They are Zirconium and are, IMO a great example of a small change elevating the overall knife.
    Matt also made the Damasteel pivot. Tying things together.....

18. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107L-web.jpg
    I call this one "The Black Pearl" for obvious reasons. Matt's Zirconium pivot is a visual highlight

19. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107H-web.jpg
    Some incredible Mammoth bark here, and some Zircu-ti with a similar pattern. More screws by Matt, dressed so as to pull the silver in the damascus blade back through the handle.

20. RJ Martin

MartinRJ_170107F-web.jpg