1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Review: Microtech Makora II OTF Knife (w/ Photos)

clip.point Feb 20, 2010

1. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

BACKGROUND

This review of the Microtech (MT) Makora II is the third in my survey of "currently available" automatic knives, and which has been focused on those featuring double-action, "Out the Front" (OTF) operations.

Initially, I had ordered a limited-edition Makora II featuring a black "Tribo-coat" finish on the blade and "bubble" inlays on the handle. I cancelled this order, as I decided that it would be more interesting to survey a standard production model with satin blade and fewer "bells and whistles." For those who are interested to know, the Tribo-coat finish is essentially a teflon-impregnated nickel matrix finish -- very similar to the popular Robar NP3. Similar to (Diamond Like Carbon) DLC coatings, Tribo-coat has excellent resistance to wear and can achieve hardness as high as 51 on the Rockwell scale. However, Tribo-coat has a lower coefficient of friction and provides more protection against corrosion than DLC. It also has the added benefit of being able to be applied with a high sheen that can be achieved upon the initial plating (without additional manufacturing steps for buffing or polishing beyond the initial surface preparation).

Despite all the advantages of the Tribo-coat finish, it is still a "coating" that is softer than the base metal of the blade and, if it becomes worn or scratched in practical applications, cannot be easily restored by the average user with commonly available equipment and compounds. Therefore, I selected instead, to order, a Makora II with a "no frills" satin finish S30V blade. S30V is a "stainless" steel, and has excellent corrosion resistance. It, therefore, really does not need an additional coating for protection against "red rust" oxidation in normal carry situations.

Nonetheless, in order to acquire the satin blade, I also had to give up the "bubble" grip inlays, which are essentially a thin gauge of sheet metal that has been stamped with convex patterns or "bubbles" somewhat resembling the raised welts on a quilted blanket. I like the bubble pattern as it does provide a positive grip without being abrasive. Nonetheless, the satin blade requirement was more important for me, and I sacrificed the bubble inlays for the more common, polished "carbon fiber (CF)" inlays that were the only inlay option available from the knife distributor for an MT Makora II with satin, plain (unserrated), double-edged blade. I selected the unserrated blade as, in my personal opinion, the Makora II is a dagger that is more suited to thrust strokes for "puncturing" versus slicing type cuts.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

This Makora II came in a sealed, plastic bag (with the perfunctory warranty card and within the usual "white box") but without a sheath / pouch. I was somewhat disappointed by this, as the Makora II has a long handle and requires a special, longer-length pouch that is currently not available from most MT distributors. A cordura, single-pocket pouch, for pistol magazines (generic - one size fits all), by Bagmaster will make a convenient alternative until I can acquire the "large" Microtech-made pouch intended for this knife.

The date of manufacture or "born-on" date is laser engraved onto the pocket clip, and reads "09/2008." The laser engraving is clean and sharp, but has a white / beige color instead of the fantastic "gold" color that I found on the 12/2006 MT Scarab of my previous review. I notice that my recent orders for Microtech knives have been turning up product manufactured more than a year ago -- this supports the general observations that Microtech has, in recent years, been redirecting its manufacturing to focus more on the production of firearms (i.e. AUG-clone, STG-556 rifles) than on knives.

When placed beside the MT Scarab, the Makora II is particularly striking in the very slender profile of the handle. Individuals with smaller hands, who have issues with the bulkiness of the handle on the Benchmade Infidel, would most likely appreciate the extreme "slim-line" profile of the Makora II, which gives the impression of not being much wider than it is thick / deep. Although I have large hands, I did not find the narrow handle of the Makora II to be uncomfortable or difficult to hold. The hand naturally goes into a "stiletto" type hold, which is actually facilitated by the handle's longer length. The long handle has "jimping" (horizontally placed ridges) placed at strategic points around its perimeter; but lacks the fine ridges of the Scarab and first-generation Makora that run *parallel* with the length of the handle. I did not notice this omission, however, to negatively affect my grip on the handle.

The aluminum which forms the frame of the handle is black anodized. Rubbing my thumb-nail against it did not put any permanent marks into the finish. This suggests that the finish meets the specifications for *hard* anodize. There were no signs of flaking or chipping of the anodize around sharp edges. The texture of the anodize finish is matte, and very even -- there are no variations of smoothness or roughness in the surface. The color of the anodize is a deep, dark, PURE black, with NO undertones or artifacts of brown, blue, purple, red, etc. Two days after accepting delivery on this Makora II, I did find a very slight defect in the finish -- a tiny scratch about 2 millimeters long across an edge of the handle. Because the scratch is fully coated (in black) with no base metal showing and no disruption of the black coating, it was on the handle BEFORE it was put into the anodizing process. While this is a nearly inconspicuous blemish, it is interesting to note that the finish on the 12/2006 MT Scarab was 100% free of flaws.

The carbon fiber (CF) inlays / panels are quite the curiosity from a "conversation piece" perspective. I personally do not have a need for this type of cosmetic accoutrement on a practical knife, but since that is what is on this knife, let's review it. When I look closely at the CF panels, I can see that they are a veneer made from epoxy impregnated carbon fiber fabric. The CF fabric has an attractive 90-degree "cross hatch" basket weave pattern and the individual carbon fibers in each strand of the weave can be seen. Thusly, this is a true carbon fiber material and not a simulation of it. Visually, the CF pattern appears to have great depth, as if it has been coated with many layers of transparent top coat. However, this is an optical illusion, albeit a dramatic one. The carbon fibers come right to the surface, and the matrix (of CF and epoxy) is polished to a mirror shine. Additionally, the carbon fibers have a sheen to them, giving the overall fabric has an iridescent quality. The alternating grain of the fabric creates the illusion of "movement" as the material is moved between different positions in either ambient or direct lighting -- this is quite entertaining, and I caught myself being mesmerized by it on many occasions of inspection. Carbon fiber veneers, however, are not without deficiencies. When cut, and especially when ground, the fibers that run *perpendicular* to the edge that is being cut have a tendency to lift or fray. On the CF panels for this Makora II, there are several areas around compound curved edges where tiny strands of the carbon fibers at the surface have lifted off. These would ordinarily be hard to see, but with the mirror sheen of the CF surface, they are easy to spot in the reflected light. At first glance, they appear to be very tiny cracks, such as the "spider cracks" that form when the more inexpensive polyester-resin CF veneers are cut or flexed. Closer examination shows them to exist only at edges perpendicular to the grain of the carbon fiber; and in the one worst case, the lifting goes for only the length of the fiber in its strand (3 mm) until it is crossed over by another strand in the fabric weave. This is definite evidence of "lifting" and "fraying" of occasional fibers at the edge, versus "cracking." I am amazed at the general scratch resistance of the mirror-polished CF surface. It resists scratching from my thumb-nail and does not develop swirls when rubbed with a coarse cloth. This suggests that the veneer on this Makora II uses the higher-quality "epoxy" matrix versus cheaper polyester resin. I am aware of other MT OTF knife owners who have complained of having spider cracks in their Microtech carbon fiber inlays. This particular knife has some miniscule lifting of perpendicular fibers at two or three panel edges with most acute (steep) curves, but definitely does not exhibit any signs of spider cracking. The inlays appear to be evenly applied, with no lifting or bubbling, or signs of peeling at the edges; and precisely fitted into the inletted areas of the handle.

The screws used to join the halves of the handle are of the newest variety. The screw heads have three holes, but are formed into a shallow cone. Also, the holes are tapered. There is no question that a special driver bit (yes - the one that is out of stock everywhere) is needed to loosen or tighten these specially profiled screws. It is obviously apparent that attempting to use the old driver bits will, for certain, result in stripping of the holes. I suppose this fits well with Microtech's advertisement of these "new" screws as being more "tamper resistant." A curious phenomenon on the Makora II is that these screws exist on BOTH sides of the knife handle, and the patterns are mirror images of each other (e.g. the same on both sides). The first-generation Makora and the Scarab all have screws only on one side of the handle. The slightly pointed screw heads on this Makora II actually provide a useful, tactile, grip enhancement on an otherwise "very smooth" surface and contour profile on the knife handle -- they also function like Braille, giving to me an ability to precisely navigate my hand and know where it is touching on the knife handle without having to look down to the knife to visually confirm. The halves of the scales (handle) fit securely, precisely, and evenly together with no play or gaps, and with the same stepped "dovetail" for joining both halves that I observed and admired on the MT Scarab.

The screws, glass breaker, and thumb switch / slide actuator are "in the white" (uncoated) and bead blasted, giving a gun-metal gray color that is a pleasing compliment to the satin blade and the iridescent silver-grey and jet black colors of the carbon fiber inlays. The glass breaker has a similar profile and size to the one on the 12/2006 Scarab including the ball-bearing inset at the tip -- the only difference is that the glass breaker on this Makora II has flutes (grooves) milled in between the holes (used to unscrew / tighten the glass breaker). This is only a cosmetic difference, but is visually appealing. My overall visual impression of this Makora II is that it is a handsome design.

THE BLADE

The blade on this Makora II is extremely slender -- even more narrow in width than the blade on the Benchmade Infidel. However, because the handle is also very slender, the appearance of the extended blade and handle are complimentary and aesthetically balanced.

The blade thickness is only a hair thinner (perhaps by 1/2 millimeter) than the very stout Scarab blade. However, because of its narrow blade width, the grinds from the center ridge / spine to the outside edges of the blade are quite steep / sloped. With the deep fuller in the center of each side, combined with the steep grind angles and narrow blade width, the blade on this Makora II immediately gave me the impression of the "cruciform" bayonets found on Chinese AK-74 rifles. The cruciform profile is designed to give both strength and reduced blade resistance for stabbing or puncturing type thrusts. While the Makora II blade is not a true cruciform design, it comes very close. Factor in the fact that its 4.5" length blade is among the very longest for any double-action OTF knife, and you basically have a automatic-action bayonet with pocket clip. This reinforces my opinion that the Makora II is suited more for combat applications than for Every Day Carry (EDC) type work.

The satin finish on the blade is the result of machining and not grinding. The fine striations from the cutting heads of the milling machine, as they were indexed along the length of the blade, forms the satin appearance. The direction of the grain goes from the center spine / fuller to the outside edges. Though the finish on this machine-cut blade is clean and generally flawless (e.g. without extraneous tool marks), it does not have the silky smoothness and finely honed sheen of the ground and possibly hand-polished blade that the 12/2006 Scarab featured.

Some MT Makora II knives have a diamond or leaf pattern of holes milled into the blade just above the base. I believe these are associated with an earlier generation of Makora II production. This particular Makora II has the in-line holes inside the fuller (or 'blood groove') just above the base of the blade. In case anyone cares to know, the Makora II has 10 of these in-line holes versus the 7 holes on the Scarabs with the in-line hole attributes.

One test of manufacturing quality that I personally observe, on double-edged, spear-point blades is to observe how closely the two, center ridges (or 'spines') of the blade come together at the tip. On the Scarab, I reviewed, the alignment was 100%, forming a perfect "+" (cross) profile when viewing directly at the tip of the knife. This Makora II had excellent alignment, with both ridges / spines coming within a fraction of a millimeter of each other. Not perfect, but very, very close and with *more* perfect alignment than on the MOD Harkins Triton or Benchmade Infidel.

The edge grinds are very well executed on this Makora II, with even thickness all along the sharpened edges and on both sides of the blade. Despite the aggressive angle of the blade from spine to edge, the sharpened edges are razor sharp and I had no trouble shaving hairs off my wrist with light strokes of the blade.

The only markings on the blade are "S30V" laser engraved onto one side only, near the base.

Despite its longer length, the blade on this Makora II appears to be quite stiff, in the sense that I cannot make it flex when pinching the blade, between my thumbs and forefingers, with one hand grasping the tip of the blade and the other at the base of the blade, and applying bending / torsion force to it. This is a good thing.

PERFORMANCE

I expected this Makora II to have a very stiff and difficult to operate action. Other owners of first-generation Makora II knives have complained of the stiff action to require two hands to operate, or putting great strain on their thumb. In some cases, these owners have reported that a break-in period was required where the spring tension would become less with continued and repeated "cycling" of the action (i.e. opening and closing of the blade).

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the action on this Makora II to be exceedingly smooth. The pressure on the thumb switch, required to activate and retract the blade, is actually slightly less than that on the Scarab of my prior review. The switch was easy to activate, using the same amount of force, in either direction and did not place any strain on my thumb at all. The amount of "creep" or "travel" in the thumb switch before the blade would be activated in or out felt even less than on the Scarab, which is surprising, considering the greater distance the Makora II blade has to travel and the longer springs that most likely are associated with its action.

The Makora II thumb switch is the same length as that of the Scarab. Though the Scarab's thumb switch is 50% taller, about 1 mm wider, and has 12 steps instead of the 11 on the Makora II, I found the thumb switch on the Makora II to be as easy and as convenient to operate. Interestingly, the slot milled into the handle for containing the travel of the switch is the identical length between the Makora II and the Scarab. Similar to the Scarab, the Makora II thumb switch has a moderate amount of play or "free float" in the switch, mostly to the sides (versus front and back). Though you don't see it or hear it when shaking the handle, you do feel it "give" a bit when your thumb first contacts the switch. Despite over 100 activations, there are no signs of wear between the bottom of the switch and the anodized finish of the slot it operates in.

The action of the blade extending and retracting is very positive and quick. There is no sluggishness or lag in the action. The blade snaps out and snaps back in with authority. The sound is very interesting ... it sounds very similar to a .22 LR pistol firing [with sound suppressor]. "Clack!" when the blade goes out, and "Clack!" when the blade goes in. The sound is actually more of a high-frequency "crack" than a "clack." Several observers have made similar comments about the uncanny resemblance of the sound, from the Makora II cycling, and the sound of a .22 LR pistol firing. This, of course, made this knife a lot of fun to activate over and over, over and over, again. By the way, I fired and retracted the blade in every position imaginable -- blade tip facing up, blade tip facing down, blade tip facing horizontal, blade tip facing at 45-degree angles up and down, and with handle flat and on its side -- and the knife has shown no failures to [fully] fire or [fully] retract. The momentum test of throwing one's hand in the direction of the blade travel, when firing or retracting, also did not cause any failures. The springs and action on this Makora II knife are very consistent and reliable.

There is more play in the lock-up of the blade on this Makora II than on the 12/2006 Scarab. The play is from edge-to-edge and from side-to-side. When wiggling the blade in one hand, you feel the play more than you can see it. The longer blade of the Makora II accentuates this perceived play. When I swing the handle with force, I can feel and hear the blade "rattle" in both the open and closed positions. My guess is that this looseness or play is an intentional part of the Makora II design. The longer blade and blade channel [in the handle] clearly creates more opportunity for friction and binding between these components, and more degrees of freedom are needed to ensure reliable in and out movement of the blade. I sense that 4.5" blade length is approaching the limits of what can be done on a double-action OTF without the blade needing to be so loose as to literally "chatter" when locked out or locked in.

While the blade on this Makora II can be intentionally pulled out of the handle for a short distance, under spring pressure, which automatically pulls the blade back in when the blade is released from one's grasp; I don't consider this to be "play" or "looseness," and there is no rattle in this front-and-back direction. In fact, if the blade becomes derailed, this pulling forward on the blade and letting it snap back is the protocol for restoring the blade into lock-up in the open position. The 12/2006 Scarab is similar on this attribute.

On this Makora II, I did notice an anomaly when the blade is in the closed / retracted position. A portion of the tip protrudes from the handle by a miniscule amount -- less than even 1 millimeter. However, if I run my finger over the muzzle / blade channel opening of the handle while the blade is retracted, I can feel the very sharp point of the blade rub against my skin. It is not enough to draw blood, but it definitely feels prickly and when running a cloth over the muzzle you can feel and hear that minute amount of protruding tip catching on the fabric. I think that a single sharpening of the blade would probably remove this very small portion that is sticking out. However, I love the sharpened point on this blade -- it is much more of an acute, razor tip than any of the other OTF knives I've tested. So, for now, I will leave it alone. In the mean time before its first sharpening (outside the factory), carry would require a sheath, however, to prevent any catching of this slight blade tip protrusion and clothing. Other Makora II owners have reported this problem, but with considerably more of the blade tip sticking out than what I've experienced with this one. Though very, very slight on this knife, the blade protrusion definitely qualifies as a quality control deficiency. This could easily be tested for and corrected during manufacture.

USE TESTS

To test the blade's ability to overcome resistance in the blade channel when firing, I performed the perfunctory test of placing one sheet of heavy bond white paper about 1.5" in front of the muzzle and firing the Makora II. The blade became hung up in the paper and derailed. When I repeated the test with the same paper held 3" away from the muzzle, the blade pierced about 1/2" through and then pushed the paper up until the blade locked in full extension. Note the greater penetration of the blade for the Makora II -- on the other D/A OTF knives I've tested, the [shorter] blades typically penetrate about only 1/4" through before pushing the paper obstacle out of the way.

I performed the same "obstacle" test with a double wall, manila paper envelope. Again, the blade derailed with the envelope held 1.5" in front of the muzzle, but made a 3/8" penetration and fully extended to lock-up with the envelope held 3" away from the muzzle.

I don't consider these results to indicate inferior or defective performance. It is indicative, however, of the fact that longer bladed D/A OTF knives have a greater vulnerability to becoming de-railed or jammed by obstacles (e.g. pocket lint, etc.) in the blade channel -- and by anything that gets in front of it in the early stages of its movement before it can gain optimum momentum and acceleration from the spring driving it. I think this, again, reinforces my earlier hypothesis that 4.5" length is reaching the limit of what performs optimally and reliably in a D/A OTF knife. I'm certain, also, that the very slender profile of the blade, on the Makora II, is also intended to keep the weight / mass of the blade to a minimum so that there is less inertia for the spring(s) to have to overcome. It is clear that once the blade gets moving, it generates considerable momentum toward the END of its firing stroke.

I have to say that I was truly looking forward to the penetration testing of the fully extended blade against the heavy-duty, cardboard box towers. As I had mentioned previously, the tip / point on this Makora II has the most acute angle and razor sharpness. The blade penetrated deeply into the double-layer corrugated cardboard box walls with almost no effort, and the slim profile allowed the blade to be quickly and smoothly extricated without hanging or catching.

I then modified this testing. I firmly attached an old, Threat Level III, ballistic armor vest outside one of the boxes, at chest height, and pushed the backside of the box against a wall. I then thrust at it with the extended blade on this Makora II. To my amazement, it slipped right through. There was some amount of resistance, when the blade penetrated beyond the belly of the spear-point, and that was because of the fibers being stretched / displaced by the blade before being cut. However, that resistance was only slight and momentary and would not cause a problem to any user expecting it. The body armor vest provided next to zero protection against penetration from the Makora II blade.

I rummaged around for a used Threat Level IV ballistic armor vest and repeated the test above. There was pretty much no difference. The Makora II blade blasted right through, with only a momentary spike in resistance. I stopped the test on the body armor there and did not continue with trauma plates, which probably would have caused damage to the superb point on the blade.

I finished with the compulsory plunging of the Makora II blade, while holding the handle (blade down) in a hammer grip, into a pine board. The blade went in quite a bit deeper (with about 100% more depth) than the other D/A OTF knives tested. I was fascinated by the relative stiffness of the blade -- it felt like jamming a railroad spike (albeit a very, very sharp one) into the board, there was a surprisingly minimal amount of comparative "flexion" in the blade. I repeated the test three more times out of pure fascination and curiosity. The very fine, razor point remained fully intact, unchipped and unblunted. The S30V steel appears to be easier to sharpen to a razor edge (by the maker, at least) compared to D2 steel; and from my testing, the S30V holds / retains that edge extremely well.

In examining the areas of the blade (such as the fuller) that might contain original surfaces from earlier stages of its manufacture, I did not see any evidence that the blade was heat treated for hardness. This does not mean that it wasn't -- I just couldn't find any visual evidence of it. Obviously, I was turned on to checking for heat treatment of the blade as I was very impressed with the performance of the S30V steel and wanted to know how much of the superlative performance could be attributed to the somewhat raw steel versus the same steel with additional processing.

Following the above tests, the blade on this Makora II remains unchanged in the amount of play at lock-up; and continues to fire and retract without any problems.

CONCLUSIONS

The 09/2008 Makora II is a handsome and highly functional D/A OTF knife. It excels in the quality of blade steel and the design of the blade, which has been optimized for penetration. The ergonomics are surprisingly good -- the Makora II balances well in the hand and does not feel clumsy to handle or use despite its longer length blade and handle. For its smooth and slim profile, it not only fits the hand well but offers a surprisingly firm, slip-free grip. The action is very smooth, reliable, and strong. The blade lock-up is not among the most "tight" of other D/A OTF knives tested thus far, but the Makora II design is definitely a pioneering design that pushes the limits for maximum blade length (with reliable operation) in a D/A OTF knife. The Makora II is clearly a machine-manufactured and mass-produced item, and provides excellent value in that class. It is definitely a special-purpose knife by design. As such, the Makora II is not an optimum candidate for EDC, but makes a fantastic dagger -- and is an innovative implementation of stiletto-like design attributes in a thoroughly modern D/A OTF package.

PHOTOGRAPHS

I thought it would be interesting to display a "fully automatic" knife beside a "fully automatic" firearm. In this first image, the Makora II knife is leaning next to one of my Heckler and Koch HK-53 "machineguns." The HK-53 is "selective-fire," and the one in the photo has a four-position trigger group that permits the following fire-control options: (1) safe, (2) semi-automatic, (3) two-round burst, and (4) full-automatic. The Makora II is displayed with the pocket-clip facing up:

[​IMG]

This second image is of the Makora II with pocket-clip facing down, leaning against the forearm / barrel handguard of the HK-53:

[​IMG]

This third image is of the Makora II beside the Scarab that I had previously reviewed. It gives a visual point-of-reference for how long and slender the blade and handle are on the Makora II, and a somewhat better perspective on the satin sheen of its blade. Check how sharp the point is on the Makora II blade!

[​IMG]

This fourth image is of the Makora II beside other D/A OTF knives from my previous reviews. They are arranged in order of decreasing blade length, from left to right: (1) Microtech Makora II = 4.45" blade length; (2) Benchmade Infidel = 3.95" blade length; (3) Masters of Defense / MOD Harkins Triton = 3.60" blade length; and (4) Microtech Scarab = 3.45" blade length.

[​IMG]

CP

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  2. swatpup

swatpup Average member

Thanks for another great review. I know you caught a lot of crap from the last one. Keep them coming!

3. RWG

RWG automatic for the people

Review

Great read...can't really put into words how much I appreciate you're reviews!!!

Dick G.

4. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to Swatpup

Hello Swatpup,

Thank you for your kind words and your support!

Best Regards,
    CP

5. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to RWG

Hello Dick,

It is always great to be appreciated by you!

Best Regards,
    CP

SSandshark1050 likes this.
  6. Markous

Markous as a kite Brigade Member

Another good review CP :thumbsup:

My thoughts on the Makora II

I had a early one #00383 (07/2008) and it was a PITA to fire it had a very strong spring in it, not two thumbs to fire it strong but pushing the one thumb limit

Mine had a blade coating on the blade (DLC) IIRC, and after firing many times never had/left a mark on the finish

Another thing i had noticed was that there was about 5-7 tiny, tiny voids (pinholes?) in the surface of the resin at the intersections of the weave of the CF inlays near the business end of the knife, this was noticed on both sides.

Mine is not the worst story, a search will bring a few threads up about this knife.

I am curious why MT choose to used CF inlays on this knife as apposed to the wing walker tape seen in/on their other knives.

Again good review!

7. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to Markous

Hello Markous,

Thank you for complimenting my review, and for sharing your valuable experiences with the Makora II from its earlier production runs. I always appreciate your quality data, which always expands the scope of our collective knowledge.

I, too, am curious about why the CF veneers are so ubiquitous on the Makora II, especially since the first-generation Makora uses the wing-walk inlays. While polished CF veneer can be very striking, it is an extremely fickle material that seems to add a lot of unnecessary risk for "defect opportunities" in the manufacturing process [of the knife].

From all the evidence that I have seen, it appears that Microtech had once used CF with a polyester resin matrix, which is notorious for having problems with air-pockets / voids in addition to a tendency to develop radial "spider" cracks. At some point, MT appears to have switched to CF veneers using the more stable and consistent epoxy matrix. Of course, this doesn't help all the customers who had purchased the early Makora II knives.

It is interesting to observe how some OTF knife manufacturers (such as Benchmade) have increased the spring tension with successive generations of their knives, while others (such as Microtech) are doing the exact reverse on certain models.

I notice that by acquiring second- and third-generation products for my market survey, I'm having pretty decent luck at receiving "product improved" versions, which, no doubt, are a result of lessons-learned gained from the trials and tribulations of the countless owners of products from the earlier production runs.

Thanks again for appreciating my review and sharing your excellent information!

Best Regards,
    CP

8. Hammer27

Hammer27 Huge member

Thanks for another awesome review! I'm a bit surprised that they didn't offer grip tape as well, I think it'd be a much better option, especially considering how effective its been on my MOD Triton and MOD CQD series knives. I'm looking it getting one regardless though, looks like a real neat knife.

9. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to Hammer27

Hello Hammer27,

Thanks for appreciating -- I'm pleased to be able to write a review that is useful and valuable to you.

For me, one of the most frustrating aspects when buying MT knives is getting all the features I want on the same knife. My ideal configuration for the Makora II would have been the satin, plain, double-edge blade with black framed handle and black "bubble" pattern, sheet-metal inlays. A large proportion of Makora II knives currently available for purchase seem to have the black coated and serrated blades.

There was only one seller (I could find) who had a Makora II with the satin, plain, double-edged blade; and it was the last one they had in stock, which was "new old stock (NOS)" they had received more than a year ago. In general, the "in the white" blade finishes, including satin, bead blast, and mirror finish, appear to be more scarce on MT knives compared to the coated and two-toned blades.

Sincerely,
    CP

sickboy likes this.
  10. Dino Dogg

Dino Dogg Dino Devil

prices

First great review and pics.I hope you guys are members of Microholics And check prices over there before you get raped on prices else where.I just hate to see when people see what they should be paying for Microtechs after they pay retail prices. Dino

11. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to Dino Dogg

Hello Dino,

Thank you for complimenting my review! Your recommendation to "look around" and "shop around" to get the most realistic survey of prices, and to check also the posts at Microholics.com when searching to acquire Microtech knives at a reasonable price, is both prudent and wise.

Best Regards,
    CP

12. laetusangel

laetusangel Little member

As always great review, I think your starting to make a habbit of it lol. Iv never been to interested in the makora but after reading your review I may just have to add one to the collection.
    Hope all is well with you
    -Peter

13. clip.point

clip.point Huge member

Reply to Laetusangel

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement! It is always nice to be appreciated. If there is anything more that I can share with you about the Makora II in my review, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    CP