1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Respirator suggestions

kenhills Jun 5, 2012

1. kenhills

kenhills Average member

Hi,

The knife business is picking up and I have to get away from the cheap masks I am wearing, truth is I probably should have a while back. So I need some suggestions as to a good respirator and filter to use while grinding and sanding both metal and handle material. The Metal is generally 1095 and the handel material runs the gamut from all kinds of woods to G-10 and the like. Thanks a bunch. Ken

2. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

3m full or partial with pink cans

3. TCooper

TCooper Little member

I use an MSA Advantage 3000 full face. I can't ever get my safety glasses to fit right when I'm wearing a half face. Plus the half face ones never seem to fit right over the bridge of my nose.

4. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

I use the 3M half-face with the pink P100s for pretty much everything from lawn mowing to sanding, painting, and even casting bullets. They're inexpensive, widely available, and perform very well.

5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

P100s are only for particulate. You need the proper charcoal cartridges and adapters between the facepiece and P100s.

Otherwise, you're not protecting yourself

6. Komitadjie

Well, the P100s are rated for everything from lead removal to asbestos remediation, so I figure they're fairly good. Can't even SMELL through them. Which is REALLY nice come time to clean the cat box. :manganr:

7. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

3M 7500 with the good P3 dust filter and gaz filter :D

8. goober

goober Average member

What size are you guys using? I'd like to avoid ordering all 3 and sending 2 back. Having a hard time finding these locally

9. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Everyone's coconut is a different size.....No

10. OnceBitten

Find yourself a place that sells Autobody Supplies. Any of them that carry 3M products should have the product in stock.

11. Komitadjie

^ That.

Welding supply places are another good bet, both of the ones here in town carry both the 3M 7500 respirators, and the P100 cartridges. Also P95s and a few different cartridges. Agricultural supply places might be another good bet, I know a fair number of guys here who use 'em for spraying.

12. goober

goober Average member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sometimes it pays to think outside the box, big box stores that is:bwah:

And yes everyone's coconut is different. If most people are using a medium, for instance, I'd try that first.

13. OnceBitten

Go for the Large in the 6000 Series. I believe it's the 6300 Half Facepiece.

You're more likely to get leaks with only a little undersizing of a Medium.

With a Large, you only need to tighten the straps to get a good seal. They're also a little more comfortable.

I can give you all of the 3M Part Numbers, if you want. Online shopping might be cheaper.