1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Replicant vs alpha beast

Fronrline May 16, 2018

1. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

How does the alpha beast flip compared to a replicant?
    I have a cf replicant and it flips perfectly for me but I want something to carry with me since I don’t want to damage the cf.
    so like the title says should I get a alpha beast? Thanks

2. Turkeytooth

Turkeytooth JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I prefer the AB to the Rep, but those are my tastes. The only way for you to know what you like is to get an AB and log some time with it. See how it fits into your flipping style. If you got the bread to spend you can pick one up on the secondary market here.
    Cheers!

3. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

IIRC, the winner of last year's Bali-Comp flipped a Rep, so that's probably a ringing endorsement for how well it flips compared to the AB. In case you didn't know it yet, there ARE replacement scales available for the Rep from independent modders on IG that you can use to replace the CF, but I don't really know why you would. That would be a much cheaper option than going out and getting an AB, although adding another bali to the collection is never a bad idea!

WSMaga and Balibuyer like this.
  4. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

Yea I’ve thought about replacement scales but idk if I want to deal with trying to get the screws out and potentially damaging my cf. I’ve Also considered just getting a beater rep but I would Like to try the AB

5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fire and Blood JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

For flipping g i liked the rep, but I'm not any good. As an overall knife i like the ab best

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Yes.

***Your welcome:trixie:

Turkeytooth and desmodus like this.
  7. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

Figured I would update this for other people comparing these. I ended up getting an alpha beast 3.0. I love how it flips. I think the replicant is better for roll overs the alpha beast is very good at roll overs too just not as good as the rep. However the AB seems more well rounded to me. Meaning It ricochets better then the rep. I like how the handles are thinner then the rep. I also love the blade profile It’s bad ass looking. I don’t like how sharp the edges are on it though. It starts to irritate me during long flipping sessions. Like you guys said it’s a great edc flipper. I’m glad I got it.

aafanatic, Alfie and Turkeytooth like this.
  8. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I couldn't disagree more.

9. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

Tell us why

10. laughingbuddha

Well.. because the AB has more rear end bias than a Replicant. This gives it more momentum for roll overs.

Replicant also has good rear end bias, but if you're going to compare the two, the AB has more and carries momentum better.

Because the AB carries momentum better than a Replicant... the flip side is that it's harder to slow down or decrease momentum.

Richochets are quick direction change movements. Replicant has the edge over an Alpha Beast with richochets because it doesn't have the same rear end bias.

Knives that have more of a neutral balance richochet easier. It's a fact.

aafanatic, Alfie and desmodus like this.
  11. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

I agree with what you said in general but there are other factors such as individual style and handle width. My rep is cf so it’s even less handle biased then the standard and it still does roll overs better for me. Why? I like a more neutral Bali and I like adding a little momentum when flipping the movement helps me keep in rythem. Also the reps handles are much wider this greatly helps flipping and hinders ricochets for me because I like to twist and manipulate the handles when doing ricochets the width makes that difficult. On the AB the handles are thinner which I like for richochets but it has the rear biased so it’s still great for roll overs. Which is why I say it’s a good all around Bali.

Alfie likes this.
  12. laughingbuddha

... I just don't even know where to start.

I'll just say that you're still wrong an leave it at that :bwah:

13. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

lol ok

14. Turkeytooth

Turkeytooth JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

All that really matters is you got a knife you love. I know nobody asked me, but I think that shit’s awesome. Congrats and more power to ya!

15. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fire and Blood JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

That's all that matters in the end. Really hard to go wrong with either.

Fronrline and Alfie like this.
  16. Fronrline

Fronrline Tiny Member

Thanks and I agree!

Alfie and BennytheBlade like this.
  17. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Everyone stfu. Both are EXCELLENT knives, in their own way. Dammit I own one of each of the main BRS models so I think I can honestly state that fairly.

To sum it all up, like has been said, can't go wrong with either. I like my AB infinity for some tricks because it's lighter and smoother with the rounded handles, and then I like the more blocky handles on my premium AB for other tricks. And for an all around great contender, my Carbon Rep kicks ass too. There is a reason no matter what model it is, they sell out FAST when released.

<3 Much love.

Fronrline likes this.
  18. aafanatic

aafanatic Little Member

I just wanted to thank all of you for contributing to this thread. For someone that doesn't have either and want both, this really helps. Thanks.

GuItArMaN8373 and Fronrline like this.
  19. impes

impes I am a lurker and need to introduce myself!

Don't know why it double posted lol

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  20. impes

impes I am a lurker and need to introduce myself!

I own both an AB 3.0, and premium Replicant. I EDC the Alpha Beast. I do catch myself turning to the Ab more often while flipping, but I flip both daily. Whenever I flip my rep I'll think "oh yeah, I like this better, no doubt..." then I pick up my AB and think "oh no, AB is for sure a better knife"..... *repeat cycle* lol. The way I look at it, they're both great flipping knives, and I can flip just as good with either one, but I love having both because they flip different enough that it keeps things fresh. Can't go wrong with picking one up because most likely, you can sell whichever one you like the least for how much you paid for it.

desmodus, GuItArMaN8373 and Fronrline like this.