1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Replicant clone?

Richard Dangler May 6, 2019

1. Richard Dangler

Richard Dangler Tiny Member

Just bought a new rep online. It was listed as a clone. Pics were pretty convincing so I bought it with the intention of using it as a beater if it was in fact a clone. Upon arrival it came shipped in a brs box that is a tiny bit different than all my others. The bali itself is pretty fuckin convincing. I myself don't think its a clone at all. The box is the only thing I'm not sure about. Its thinner material than my other boxes and the sku is on the opposite side. It has white g10 scales rather than black. Weighs, flips, feels, and sounds identical to my other one. Can't figure out how to post pics. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

2. Richard Dangler

Figured it out (pics)

Attached Files:

3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

We don't like clones here.

4. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You need to find a better potato that takes higher quality pictures.. or take pictures in the daylight.

Cant tell from what you've posted.

Fwiw.. BRS boxes have changed in size, shape over the years.

***I dont approve of anyone knowingly buying a clone.

5. Richard Dangler

When I saw the listing I thought the guy was an idiot to post it as a clone. As I said pretty fucking convincing. Cheap as shit for a rep. Figured hell of a deal if the guy didn't know what he had and perfectly good beater if I bought a pos. Having it in hand I think I scored big. But comparing it to 5 other brs products the only thing tha throws me off is the box. I'e got gen 1 and 3 ab and another rep to compare it to. Again only difference is the box. Smaller the small boxes they used to ship in and single ply cardboard as compared to thicker ply I know for damn sure is right. Sku number is on same side of all the other boxes. This particular box opposite. Print is darker as well.

Attached Files:

6. Richard Dangler

Pics of the bali... looks like its been dropped a few times. But best I can tell I scored a good bali for an unheard of price

Attached Files:

7. laughingbuddha

Knaf looks real.

Maybe it's a clone box?

apdallaround likes this.
  8. Richard Dangler

Like I said box is only thing i wasn't sure about. I bought it cause I figured dipshit didn't know what he had. Posting didn't say anything about coming with a box. When it arrived in a "brs box " I was exited until I compared it to my other boxes. I came here looking for knowledge about brs shipping practices hoping someone could shed some light. Maybe at one point that was the box it came in? Thought for a sec it was a return service box when you send it for sharpening or something. However the sku clearly says replicant. Far as the knife I think I made a hell of a buy. Just confused about the box. Box is prob right. Just hoping someone with more knowledge than I have could tell me one way or the other

9. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

….soooo why the seller is a "dipshit"... dipshit?

10. Richard Dangler

I mistakenly came here looking for help. Won' happen again

11. laughingbuddha

Like I've already said. Over the years the BRS boxes have changed in size.

It's not at all unusual for them to be different. I have plenty of different sized BRS boxes in my BRS box collection.

Well done on attempting to buy a clone... you must feel proud of yourself for ripping the dude off.

12. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

that right there WINS

13. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You will definitely find all the legitimate balisong help you could ever possibly need from the JD. Just approach the situation differently next time. We dont typically appreciate one trying to purchase a counterfeit bali that mocks a hard working American company or anyone for that matter. Now if you think you got fucked and need to verify if a bali is real or not, then the JD got you. Not a case such as this though.

14. Burnt Reynolds

Burnt Reynolds JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's a clone. It isnt worth anything. Dont go around representing it as anything other than the clown trash that it is. I bought a Covenant on dhgate and they threw the same one in for free, in that same janky box you have. No one is going to put a real Rep in a fake box. Mine even had a BRS card that looked real. The hardware is shit. The tollerances are shit. The bushings are shit. The clack clack is shit. Chinese clones are made containing chemicals known by the state of California TO CAUSE CANCER. BUYER BEWARE.

15. laughingbuddha

Wait wut!!

Isnt Max Ace a U.S based company?

That's some super shady shit.

16. Burnt Reynolds

Burnt Reynolds JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Is it? I assumed they were straight up Chinese. Original designs, I gave it a chance and it is a good flipper. I do not believe Maxace had an official store front at the time, so the freebie clone may have been provided by a secondary retailer.

17. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

I got fucked. Laughingbudha is an asshole!

18. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

That's a definite mic drop.

19. aka_fibonacci

aka_fibonacci Little Member

have you tried mixing and matching parts from your real rep? i would surmise that clone parts would not perfectly fit an original.

20. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

Its hard to tell anything with a few pictures. If you've been around a while you've learned to be skeptical.

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.