1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

!Remmington/Bear and Sons Balisong Warning!

Arasos Sep 30, 2016

1. Arasos

Arasos Little member

Hey JD I am fairly new here but I wanted to make a statement about a balisong that I bought about a month ago. To preface this, I had only owned CCCs before this point and both of them have fallen apart on me. The first was a small black one which fell apart at the pivots mid flip. Sent washers and screws all over my bedroom :jduh: I was a little disappointed but eager to keep flipping so I bought another slightly larger and more expencive one for like $50. This one I still have but is being held together by rubber bands at the ends of the handles where it fell apart even after lock tighting the screws -_-

This brings me to the Remmington balisong that I bought after that one in hopes of having a durable and fun flipper. After doing some research I found out that it was made by Bear and Sons as a contract for Remmington and there seemed to be decent reviews for the Bear and Sons knives. So I went ahead and ordered this knife from Blade Ops:

View attachment 138000

At first I was very happy with what I recieved but things went downhill pretty quickly. This first thing I noticed was the horrible handle play that began to develop. After that it took probably a week and a half for the blade to lose its edge (keep in mind I did drop it on concrete twice and hardwood once or twice):

View attachment 138002

After that the latch and ends of the handles begin to deteriorate pretty rappidly. The black coating chipped off and the aluminum warped making it hard to close the latch at times. Not only that, but the latch swings completely freely which means while flipping it can easily swing in and catch the blade. This only further damaged the edge. On top of these issues, the tang pin deformed within 2 days and the handles began knocking together.

View attachment 138003 View attachment 138004

But all of this I decided to deal with and brushed it off as nothing. The final nail in the coffin happened 2 days ago. I noticed a crack formed near one of the milled out parts of the handles, which again I kinda just forgot about and kept flipping the knife. About 2 hours later I was in my living room and decided to flip the knife for a bit. Dropped it once on the carpet and when I picked it up this had happened:

View attachment 138005

TL;DR
    Don't buy a Remmington or Bear and Sons balisong if you are looking for a knife that will last you. Don't waist your money like I did. Save up and get something better.

-Arasos :ross:

exile82187 likes this.
  2. Arasos

Arasos Little member

:devilfinger: A few more photos of the trashed knife:

Knife8.jpg

Knife6.jpg

Knife2.jpg

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

You get what you pay for. :devilcorn:

4. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:yeahthat:

Those Bali's don't have the best quality control or quality in general. :ross:

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

....every body seems to forget that they were meant to be low cost knives and used as such,not twirling instruments to be thrown around like ragdolls....
    if you want something to withstand that, you need to pony up the dough for higher quality...jeez you youngsters, have to complain about everything....you know how much $$ i was spending every week in the flea markets before you were born on cheap ass balisongs? ...did you heard me complain about it?...i could had bought Benchmade....just saying...:unintroduced::cry:

6. Arasos

Arasos Little member

The point of this thread was to hopefully reach people new to balisongs like myself and help them to not make the same mistake as I did. It wasn't about complaining.

7. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

The bastards! How dare they not concrete-proof the blade edge...

:skeletor:

8. ostanley99

ostanley99 Average member

Get a Benchmade. I've dropped mine on the cement at work over half a dozen times. All I've had to do is touch up the blade and maybe tighten up the pivots. Still flips like a dream. You have to pony up the cash

9. Arasos

Arasos Little member

I've been considering it. Maybe a 51? I'm also looking at BRS. Their knives seem really well made.

10. Arasos

Arasos Little member

My other CCCs that ive gotten have also been dropped on concrete but held their edge better by a long shot then this one did.

11. Blip Noir

Blip Noir JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

There's just no comparing cheap folders and cheap balisongs. With a cheap folder you've got fairly minimal wear and tear since the design is simple. If the blade steel is good enough and it holds an edge it serves its purpose and will last you.

With balis it's a different story since they're fundamentally designed to be in motion. You need a reputable brand that uses quality materials and takes pride in its product. Bear & Sons balisongs just aren't designed with longevity in mind. Their only purpose is for new flippers to waste their cash, realize they made a mistake and move on to the good stuff.

12. Arasos

Arasos Little member

:yeahthat: Yup now I know that lol. If only I had known sooner :ssad:

13. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Most of the bear and sons products I have seen are just cccs with fancy blades.

The cheapest quality bali you can get is probably a Bradley Kimura, I have been out of the game for awhile now though so I am not sure of their rarity or price anymore.