1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 700 rifle linked to potentially deadly defect

medit8 Feb 20, 2017

1. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I can definitely attest to the accuracy of the ruger american, I know they got hyped up quite a bit but they are definitely accurate for a sub $500 deer slayer. I got the 7mm-08 compact stainless with a Zeiss diavari-compact scope on it and it is a beast....

2. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

I have three 700's. Two with Walkers and one with a new X-Mark Pro. Decided to put Timneys on all of them.

3. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Yeah the ruger precision rifle seems to be a great option for the money. Ruger is not doing that well as a company financially recently apparently and paired with the slight defect in some of the models in the precision model- I am on the lookout for some sweet prices to nab one.

I have heard you want to basically spend at least as much on the rifle as with the glass to go along with it.

seandavid55 and begreen61 like this.
  4. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I've never heard it that way. Most guys I know have much more into glass.

5. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Yeah the general rule of thumb is "at least" as much $ on glass as on the rifle. My glass looks like a silk hat on a pig. It doesnt get much better than zeiss T* lenses and on the Ruger American (such a stupid name for a model) it just looks a lil silly, not a bad $500 rifle though, it's like a hammer, just a tool for a job...

6. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr Nuclear Powered Devil

One of my favorite Gun Digest stories revolved around a guy using a Zeiss Diatal on a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. The absurdity of it amused him (and me),