1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation? Car knife

Jnich67 Apr 30, 2011

1. Jnich67

Jnich67 Average member

I'm looking for a fixed blade to keep in my car - just in case. I'm thinking I want something rugged and robust with enough size to handle a wide range of situations. Since it will most likely see very little use, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, but if I do need it, it will be in a real pinch, so I don't want junk either. Any ideas?

Jordan

Edit: Mods, please change the heading to "Car", - Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  2. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

Don't know if it will work for you but I carry a old US Army Machette and a 1/2 size axe in my car trunk ----- either one can be usefull and together they can get you out of a lot of trouble !!!

3. xtal

xtal Little member

What is your budget? I would suggest a small fixed blade, for maximum versatility. Once you reply with a budget, I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

4. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

CRK&T Razels are solid as hell and moderately priced. I use mine for wrong things and it's tough as hell. I own a belt sander to sharpen/repair the blade though , so your mileage may vary.

5. Pilot

Pilot Huge member

Get an ESEE-5 or a Becker BK2. I have an RC-5 (pre-ESEE name change) and its a TANK, and will get you out of anything.

6. Jnich67

Jnich67 Average member

Under $100 and I'd prefer to keep it under $75. I had in mind something along the lines of the BK2, Gerber LMF, Esee 4, etc. I'm curious what others use.

Jordan

7. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

ESEE 3/4

Entrek Badger/ Jag/ Survivor

I have a RAT (ESEE) orange handled RC3 in my car, the wife's car has an Entrek Badger.

The Badger is 3/16 stock 440C with a micarta handle and a kydex sheath. Stout as hell, virtually no maintenance, just spray it with WD40 or naptha to clean it, sharp it now and again.

I'd like to replace the sheath with a Wookie kydex IWB or high ride, but for a knife in the glove box, it's not an issue really.

Either of these were $70 online.

I'd NOT buy one of the current Gerber knives.

If you can find a BRKT Bravo 1 or Gunny cheap, that would fit your bill as well.

8. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

How about a plug for the Mora? Cheap and sturdy. Nothing you would cry over getting banged around in the car.

9. ster91b

ster91b Paloozster! Brigade Member

Thats what I was going to say. Hell, get two and a steak dinner.

10. DasFriek

DasFriek Huge member

Ive several times in different cars had a couple Ontario knives fixed blades strapped down with the sheaths they come with.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ONSP6

Always make sure if its a carbon steel knife its coated in some way and wiped with some good preservative like Break-Away LP, Not CLP as the LP last longer as you dont need the cleaner part in CLP.
    Or just lite coat of motor oil wiped on and off will work fine.

But ive loved Ontario's 1095 spec knives for their ruggedness and low cost.

I cant say the cop approved of it when he pulled me over and saw the damned thing strapped to my arm rest even tho i made him aware of it immediately. Thats all legal here in Ohio, But some LEO's have no sense of humor.

11. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

12. DasFriek

DasFriek Huge member

If so he would be the first ive seen around here.

13. Jnich67

Jnich67 Average member

Good suggestions. Thank you.

I am somewhat concerned about what a cop might think. I'm hesitant to go over 4" for that reason. The Entrek knives are tempting - I wasn't aware of them, but they all seem over $100.

Jordan

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  14. Parker

Jordan, check Ebay for the Entreks.

I just googled and found Badgers and Jags at $95-105.

15. Pilot

Pilot Huge member

I might remind you that Kershaw makes Zero Tolerance knives. :devil1:

16. Jnich67

Jnich67 Average member

Ok, I just placed an order for an Entrek Back up Utility blade. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I liked the size, etc. Anyone handled one of these?

Jordan

17. Parker

Not played with the Backup before, but I've used a Badger, Companion and Badger extensively. I believe you'll be happy with it, though with the skinny stock, you'll want to re-sharp the edge with a convex edge, which will allow you the maximum cutting performance out of this knife.

The reason I keep a Badger in the car is that it is akin to a Randall Fireman or a Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK. A roughly indestructible utility knife which you can likely use to pry open a safe and not damage the knife much if at all.

Have fun with it!

18. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I keep a small Strider FB knife in my car. IIRC it is the ED with a kydex sheath. Cost about a $100.

19. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Then you aren't looking very hard.

20. Spherediving

Spherediving Average member

Frost / Mora Knives, Cheap and easy to sharpen,
    I had a bunch of them when I was a kid.
    the white birch handled ones with a guard on them were the nicest, but if you can still get the red painted handled ones with a plastic sheath they would probably stand up better.
    What does one cost now anyway? when I was a kid you could pick them up for about 5 dollars Canadian.
    (Just looked on line, price ranges from about 15-60 USD)