1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Real or Fake Benchmade 42?

CharlesKnife Jan 9, 2019

1. CharlesKnife

CharlesKnife Little Member

C2FC608A-C496-4E52-8D63-9E39D0944F4D.jpeg Video of the knife is flawless. However the stamps look off to me. Guys who have owned 42 springers, what do you think?

2. CharlesKnife

5408269F-A612-4F59-8CAE-F668498C13FB.jpeg And the other side of the blade

3. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

This was one of the first videos I viewed that helped. Plus I have a fondness for big Asian man hands.

Pro Tip: Look inside the channel. If it is not "clean" then it's fake. 7:50 in the video gives a very good example.

***That voice is so smooooooth

mike_geno and CharlesKnife like this.
  4. CharlesKnife

Good tip on the inside of handles. They are clean

5. Graillist

Graillist Little Member

Do the fake and real weigh the same?

CharlesKnife likes this.
  6. CharlesKnife

From what I can tell, the fake ones made from steel would weigh significantly more. However if they make it from titanium, they could probably get the weight pretty close.

7. Graillist

Graillist Little Member

I was assuming that they were both ti otherwise this thread wouldn't even be needed. There's a 42SS but probably not as big of a problem.

CharlesKnife likes this.
  8. CharlesKnife

Not having the knife in hand, I can't verify if the knife is Ti.

9. Graillist

Graillist Little Member

What about asking them to take a video of them putting a magnet on the handle?

CharlesKnife likes this.
  10. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The 42SS has obvious tells. This isn't one. If the counterfeiters have graduated to using actual titanium for their handles, that's news to me.

As far as the stamp goes, I have 8 different 42 models, and it moves around even on them. You mentioned video of the knife. Any chance we could see it?

CharlesKnife likes this.
  11. CharlesKnife

Yes that would be a way. but he sent me a video of him weighing the knife on a mechanical kitchen scale yesterday. It weighed like 2 tenths more than it should, but with a mechanical kitchen scale, I'd say that's close enough. Frankly I probably won't know completely for sure until I have it in hand and compare it to a known 42. But it looks flawless, weighs about the right amount, doesn't have the drilling marks most fakes have and I asked a knife maker that did a video on comparing 42 models about the stamping. He didn't think that was a problem at all. So we will see what happens as I am inclined to buy it.

12. CharlesKnife

I'm not sure how I would get the video so you could see it. Perhaps load it on youtube and share the link here?

13. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. The tang stamp looks fine.

CharlesKnife likes this.
  14. CharlesKnife

here is the video of the knife

15. CharlesKnife

Thank you for the additional back up on that point.

16. Graillist

Graillist Little Member

Have you ever seen a fake one being sold as real before? If so, on what site? That's pretty scary. I didn't think they were close enough for them to be sold as real.

CharlesKnife likes this.
  17. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

They're sold as real over the internet. That was the whole point in counterfeiting them.

Usually the best tell is the latch. There has not yet been a good replica springer latch made.

They've also been lacking titanium fakes for some time.

nostimos and CharlesKnife like this.
  18. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

They use Ti for handles. They even are making integral ti folders. It gets harder and harder to tell the fakes.