1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Rape of Nanking

edosmar Feb 16, 2009

1. edosmar

edosmar Average member

Watched a dvd last night that makes me wonder about us(USA) and why other countries and peoples may not like us much. The DVD was Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre, also on the same dvd, Why We Fight, a 1944 propraganda film made in the USA. The problem seems to be that the U.S. protected lots of people that should have been hung for war crimes and in some cases hired them because of the information they gained by killing helpless men,women and children. We wanted the A bomb and biological weapons and hired those that had information about them without carring much how they got their info, such as places like Unit 731.

2. Michelle

Michelle m1 Lady Devil

I've read the book. Not sure how the DVD came across but the true perpetrators in the book were the Japanese. The interesting thing is there were actually some Germans who "went to bat" for the Chinese in this situation but there were plenty of Americans who did too. I guess I'm not understanding how the *spin* of these atrocities has somehow been shifted from the Japanese to the Americans?

m1

3. edosmar

edosmar Average member

It seems that in the 1930s-early 40 we chose not to get envolved with aggression of the Germans and Jananeese because it was not happining on out turf. But we also seem to have protected/hired many that should have been hanged for the atrocities they were part of after the war. It seems that since then we as a country will do whatever we feel like to and in other countrys and to their peoples when ever and for whatever reason the rich and powerfull seem to want at any given time.

If you get a chance watch Why we Fight. After watching it think back to what you have been taught about China, in school and in the news. To me they must be different countrys.

I remember being taught that children in the USSR were taught only what the government wanted them to know. What do our children learn?

4. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

The German intelligentsia invented quite a few powerful weapons and delved into forbidden medical experiences which we did not want to fall into the Soviet hands.:deviltard:

5. ctxxxxx

ctxxxxx Level: True Devil

We had to read something about this in military history a few years ago, other than the title of what happened, Im embarrassed to say, I dont remember much about it. I bet the documentary was very insightful.

6. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

The Japanese were horrid to all they occupied. Fuck ANYONE who says different.

And fuck ANYONE who says we owe them for their experiences at the hands of the Japanese. At that time in history, who ran out and got involved in any war they did not need to? And as for us selling steel to the Germans, if I'm not mistaken LOTS of nations have interest, few have friends.

My wife's dad was not allowed to speak his native language until he was six years old. If they spoke Korean, it was in secret, in private. Not on the street. That's what Japanese occupation looked like on the nice side.

And edosmar, the kids in public schools are taught government approved cirriculums. In other words, just what the gov't wants our kids to learn. If they get any more, consider them lucky.

7. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

Lucky, or curious.

I had to read the Rape of Nanking in one of my civ classes. It gave me nightmares. The Japanese have historically been outright BASTARDS to anyone they conquered or whose territory they occupied. Koreans, Chinese, whoever. The people of that country still have some serious issues with their own perceived superiority...just look at the treatment of "gai-jin".

And with the complaints about the US's lack of involvement....funny how the US gets bitched at if they don't get involved in what's going on around the world...and bitched at if they do...

8. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Cadi,

Exactly Right.

Hi Parker,

The Japanese practiced war as it should be waged. You cut a wide swath across the land and kill every thing...women, children, men, pigs, cats, goats, dogs, everything.

You make the price of war so horrible that one side will quit or both sides will destroy each other.

The final price paid by so many results in peace for those who remain. Until enough time goes by that they forget...and wage war again.

The first rule of war....there are no rules.

Except for the Bull Shit written in Geneva in August of 1949. That is practiced by no one except the US. A US soldier defaces the Koran and a General has to apologize for it. Personally I would have told President Bush....I resign. Obviously the General was not an Infantry Officer.

When I was stationed in Korea (90-91) there was a lot of talk of reparations for the "comfort girls"....most of whom were dead. Too little too late.

9. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

Oi. If that's how you think war should be waged, then...oi. I hope we're never conquered, but if we are, and that's what's going to happen when they get here, I'll suck-start a shotgun...after taking as many of the SOBs down with me as possible, of course.

10. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Cadi,

Of course war isn't waged the way I described (that was the highly trained/ highly motivated Infantry Officer in me talking). Which is why it takes 3 - 6 years to accomplish something that should take 3-6 months. I direct your attention to Iraq.

BTW, you don't have to suck start a shotgun. Chamber a round, put the barrel under your chin and if you finger won't reach the trigger...use your big toe to activate the trigger. Actually that might be best...as you will want to put your fingers in your ears (because when you pull the trigger it is really going to be loud). LOL

11. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

12. Sequimite

Sequimite Little member

Tom Lehrer comments on original post

Gather round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun
    A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience
    Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown
    "Ha, Nazi schmazi," says Wernher von Braun

Don't say that he's hypocritical
    Say rather that he's apolitical
    "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down
    That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun

Some have harsh words for this man of renown
    But some think our attitude should be one of gratitude
    Like the widows and cripples in old London town
    Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun

You too may be a big hero
    Once you've learned to count backwards to zero
    "In German oder English I know how to count down
    Und I'm learning Chinese," says Wernher von Braun

13. Sequimite

Sequimite Little member

Yes, probably millions of Chinese were outright murdered after they were conquered by the Japanese. I've read that Japanese officers used to kill someone to "blood" their swords because it was considered good luck in coming battles. (come to think of it a number of Crusaders also did this) They got away with it. China was in such turmoil for so many years that there is no consensus on numbers and prosecutions would have been extraordinarily difficult.

14. ctxxxxx

ctxxxxx Level: True Devil

I love it. :bluedevil: the japs were fuck tards to everyone they ruled. Its funny, the Germans get a far worse rap than the Japs did... and the japs were NO less evil.