1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Range Report, Rock Island Government Model, Tactical II 10mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took the new Rock Island Tactical II 10mm to the range today, three magazines, at 10 yards; American Eagle and commercial reloaded ammo. Only one failure of any type - about the 4th round of the second magazine I had a stovepipe. Stovepipes are fairly easy to clear; run your hand along the top of the slide, capture the empty casing between your thumb and index finger, snatch it out of the war, let the slide finish going forward, resume shooting!

After another 100 or so rounds for reliability I will add this to the carry rotation. Not a bad gun for $450!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    Sheldon_Wickersham likes this.
  2. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Agreed, a 'Range Report' sticky would be good. Provided the signal to noise ratio was kept to a minimum. Gun/ammo/optic/range/conditions/results would be a great place to start, and finish, IMNSHO...

3. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Agreed - Done.

Title it the Make, Model and Caliber

4. IWantThatKnife

Thanks

Thank you Mike for the sticky!

5. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

WHAT?!?!:devilzeek
    Did you get this used?:bwah:

ONLY $450, for a 1911 with adjustable sights and a few visible custom type add-ons?

How is the trigger?
    I don't expect it to "break like glass", but is it noticeably target grade (lighter)?

AND all this with a 10MM?
    That sounds like fun. Too bad I'm not a reloader, it would get expensive with 10MM.

Is there a similar .45 target version?

Thanks for the write up, and the sticky a great idea.

6. klondike1024

klondike1024 Little member

Glad to hear you like the Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. I have always wondered how that model would shoot.

10mm is one of my favorite rounds. I love the balistics.
    As another poster mentioned, shooting a lot of 10mm can get expensive real fast.

I shoot a decent amount of .357 Sig and it reminds me a lot of the 10mm especially how accurately I can shoot with it and it is a little snappy.

Of course I practice a lot with 9mm also. I am eyeing a VP9 at the moment but would really like to shoot one first.

Good luck with your new 1911!

7. Sheldon_Wickersham

Range Report - 9/25/14

It's my friend Kirk's birthday today, so what better way than to spend it at the range.

The Good: we shot five Glock's (19, 22, 27, 34/35) from 3 to 15 yards, and all did what Glock's do; they're boringly reliable and accurate if you do your part. Kirk had a 9mm barrel that we swapped into his G35, as I had more 9mm than he did .40S&W. His whored, er, pimped out M&P AR-15 with Trijicon 4x32 worked extremely well at the 100m we had available.

The Bad: I've owned this SAR-48 Bush for 21 years and had only shot it twice prior to today. The POI was a foot low and 6" left at 50m. The windage adjustment was a snap; loosen one sightbase screw on one side of the base, and tighten the opposing side screw an equal amount. The elevation was more of a problem.

SAR-48M.jpg

FAL type front sight posts come in four heights, as indicated by dots on top of the sight. One dot is the lowest, four is the tallest; mine is a one dot. Driven all the way down, and almost obscured, the rifle still shot 3" low with the rear sight on the lowest (200m) setting. Moving the rear sight to the 400m setting corrected the elevation issue. I'll look into replacing the front sight post with a taller version.

The Ugly: This 'lil Leapers Bug Buster scope with QD rings, mounted and sighted in on a SAR-3 (G3 type rifle), produced a quarter-sized four shot bulls eye group at 100m last month, out of only four shots taken that day, after being removed from the previous shoot and reinstalled that day. Some of the best shooting I've done.

On the SAR-48, it shot a foot low, and three inches right, consistently. The replacement dustcover/scope base is a $35 Aim Sports FN/FAL Picatinny Scope Mount that works just fine. I didn't want to adjust the scope, and at

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

New outa the box Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt. Put the first 18 rounds through her today. First two groups of six I was trying to figure out the sights, last six I put in a 10" group at @ 13 yards. This was standing, no rest and I was a little shaky in the cold.
    The problem was, the base pin that holds the cylinder was working it's way out about every 4 to 6 rounds. This would let everything bind so I couldn't cock the gun.
    This was disappointing, but it looks like an easy fix I hope.
    After 18 shots, the first few a little shaky, I think this is going to be a real comfortable fun shooter. It's not very loud and the recoil is more of a "good push" instead of a snap. I look forward to putting many more rounds through it and doing some reloading. I'll post up some better groups in the future I hope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I like your Vaquero ! :thumbsup:

If you know any machinists, ask them to knurl that pin, which will give a better purchase when inserted into it`s hole.

After you get the sighting-in figured out for the ammo you`ll be using, you`ll likely see a big improvement in your downrange results. People not used to shooting single-action revolvers are usually surprised at how well my old Bisley shoots with iron sights.

Experimenting with stances might help as well. If you`re used to shooting from a Weaver, you might want to try an Isoceles triangle, letting the recoil rock you back a little onto your heels. The single action`s grip shape might work better for you in one stance over the other.

Happy shooting ! :devilwag::devilwag:

10. Masharp81

Masharp81 Angelus Mortis JDBA Official Member

Nice six-shooter.. If the knurling that waterdogs suggested doesn't work for you, just give Ruger a call. Their customer service is top notch. I have an SR40c that the lower camblock pin started working it's way out while shooting. I gave Ruger a call and explained what was going on, then 3 days later I had a new pin waiting in my mailbox. (I told them that this was my carry gun, so I didn't want to send it out if a new pin would fix the problem). They shipped me a new pin, and told me that if it didn't fix the issue to call back and they would send me a shipping label to have the gun in for repair. If you do end up having to send it in to be fixed, I've heard that their turnaround time for repairs is very fast. Hope you enjoy the new pistol! :thumbsup:

11. VANELLI

Thanks guys. I contacted Ruger and they said to make sure the latch for the pin is tight, and if the problem persists send it in. I'll probably send it in, I don't want to shoot and wonder or mess it up, "sigh", I just want to shoot it. What a fun piece.
    Not that it matters but I measured the last group at 8" not 10". I have some shootin to do!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  12. VANELLI

Well, with the Vaquero I took the base pin latch out and found some burrs and a large metal flake in the hole. I cleaned up the burrs and put a new brownells latch in. That latch now snaps into place. I worry about hotter loads, but I ran over 150 lighter loads through it this weekend with no trouble.
    I think that did the trick!

Same outing my dad brought his $50 Mosin Nagant out. What a fun and cheap rifle to shoot, my shoulder still hurts. We shot some old, old paper and twine wrapped ammo through it. A few hundred rounds maybe. Quite a few had problems like this.

[​IMG]

We experienced no problems (luckily). But, this old corrosive ammo is a little scary. I think the little that is left will not be saved for the future.

13. IWantThatKnife

Dan Wesson Pointman PM-9

Here's the range report; I did shoot my Dan Wesson .44 Magnum with an EGW 2-1/2" barrel; 6 rounds of .44 Special (Magtech Cowboy lead round nose 240 grain rated @ 781 FPS/308 FTLB) and 6 rounds of .44 Magnum (American Eagle 240 JHP rated @ 1,230 FPS/805 FTLB) quite a difference but even with the magnum load it was manageable!

Took my new Dan Wesson PM-9, 1950's Colt Commercial with .38 Super upper, Colt pre-series 80 Combat Commander .45, CZ40-P, and Dan Wesson .44 Magnum with a 2-1/2" barrel. No photo of the two loads with the .44 Magnum (6 rds .44 Special, 6 rds .44 Magnum); first will be the Dan Wesson PM-9 (4 magazines total; 2 center mass at 10 yards, 1 head shots at 10 yards, 1 center mass at 15 yards). I really like the Dan Wesson so much that I am wearing it on my hip right now, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP LE loads rated at 1,150 fps, 364 ftlb). The other targets are marked with what they are...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  14. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]IMG_20150103_105009~2 by rlibson, on Flickr

Rock Island Armory Tac II in 9mm. Little brother of the gun at the top.

-First time at the range, first handgun, first time firing inside.
    -28' out.
    -200+ of Winchester, Federal and Tul-Ammo (not brass) loaded in the standard magazine and a wilson combat aftermarket jobber

Gun run slicker than snot on the brass and the factory mag fed it all just fine. Two FTFs on the tul-ammo with the wilson combat (much tighter).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  15. Ryanol

Just thought I'd add that I made it to the range to test out a couple of cheapo mecgar magazines that I picked up for about fifteen bucks a piece. First load ftf'd first round after that they worked fine.

Fed winchester, perfecta, and tulammo without problems.

So far the magazine performance in order across ammo brands has been stock, mec gar and Wilson.

16. Ryanol

[​IMG]IMG_20150117_092705 by rlibson, on Flickr

Chased this thing all over the target. Shot low and left for the first two magazines. Then just all over the place on the next load. Finally started to figure it out around 36 rounds in. By the time I started to get it dialed in the grips came loose. Tried to tighten em up by hand but without a proper driver and loctite they didn't even hold for a couple of magazines.

Interesting note: The P938 doesn't function properly 100% of the time with the grips loose. Failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. When I got it home and took it apart it looks like the trigger assembly may actually need the grips to keep the trigger assembly travel going straight back instead of flexing.

28ft.

Sig P938 9mm
    RIA Tac 2 9mm

17. Ryanol

[​IMG]IMG_20150124_092145 by rlibson, on Flickr

Sorry to keep hammering this thread but man I am impressed with this rocks ability to chew threw anything you throw at it.

The Sig didn't like the Aluminum Federal 9mm 115 stuff (1 fail to extract) from Walmart but the Rock just spit it out like a champ.

At less then ten bucks for 50 and an easy swing thru on my lunch I think I'm havta buy a good amount more, just remember not to feed the sig.

28ft

Next up I'm thinking I have to order some re-manufactured stuff from Freedom.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  18. VANELLI

I appreciate the running review, people "expect" the high priced pieces to work. But with the more budget minded guns I think a lot of people are more curious as to their reliability. :thumbsup:

19. VANELLI

I had a chance to handle one of these over the weekend. It really made me appreciate the way this little pistol is set up. Slide locks open after last round, no mag disconnect, second strike capable, and I found the trigger pull to be just fine for a little belly gun.
    At only 3/4" wide it begs to be in the pocket, recoil is not bad like I thought it might be although more than a box of 50 would leave you bruised from that thin grip. My wife was more accurate with it than me but after 5 rounds was ready to give it up.
    Only negatives I found were soft primer strikes, (at least one per mag) a second trigger pull fired all rounds. I used Tula steel cased ammo. The point of aim was way way low for me. Just point and shoot, no, not for me. I would have to really train on this one with the very verticle straight back strapped grip. I'd be afraid of setting off the laser in pocket and draining the battery.
    Overall: great gun that's well made, point of aim quite low for me.

[​IMG]

20. Sheldon_Wickersham

First 60 degree F day so far this year took me to the range today with my SA SAR-48 Imbel made FN 'Bush' model with the fod mod and new UTG Bug Buster Scope. Back when I purchased the rifle in '93, imported spam cans of 520 rnds of Norinco .308 were selling for ~$100; I bought three and broke into one recently.

Initially zeroed at 50 meters, I took it out to 100 meters in short order. Interestingly, the scope adjustments are actually reversed. 100 meters went well until I had burned through the 75 rnds of 147 gr. FMJ Chinese .308 brought. Switching to early 1990's vintage Yugoslavian 168 gr SP (made prior to the break up), resulted in a group 3" higher and 1.5" left for most of the 15 rnds brought.

Up to that point, life was good. 15 rnds with so much variance left a lot to be desired. Taken back, it took a minute to believe what I was seeing, and then not knowing if it was the ammo, the scope, the hot barrel, or what. I started to make scope adjustments then stopped.

I'll go back with both ammo types, and others, and try again another day. The upside is the fod mod works really well and is a pleasure to shoot; and, I got to get out and shoot!

View attachment 127272

View attachment 127273 FAL FG 2.jpg

FAL FG 1.jpg