1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting Cigarettes?

xrayzebra Jan 17, 2008

1. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

The chantix will wear off. You will need to make a conscious decision to start smoking again. They reccomend taking it for 6-12 months so that if you are say...drinking with friends and someone offers you a smoke you will not feel its effects. But, x-ray, I quit chantix before I supposed to as well. It was expensive medicine and I realized that the desire to smoke was truly gone. I still avoided social situations where I could be tempted for a while. Now after a year and a half I really feel ok when I am around people who smoke. Congratulations, now put all that money that you used to burn to some good use.

2. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

i think i am going to start placing $5 in a jar every day as if i was still buying smokes. then, i'll have a nice chunk of change to do something with down the road. never tried Chantix, but i'm cheap and refuse to pay for something where my initial goal was to cut back on spending to begin with.

3. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I quit 20 years ago using the just keep quitting method. Every time I lit up because of a trigger issue I would quit again the next day. I probably quit 50 times before I woke up one day and did not want a cigarette.
    I had a dream the other night about french fried cigarettes, Still cant figure that one out.

4. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

I have jumped on the quitting bandwagon. Started Sunday. My wife quit smoking about a month ago. She's been pestering me to quit too. I refused, but in the back of my mind, the little voice kept saying, "You know she's right." So I made her a deal. I will quit smoking cigarettes, but I'm taking up cigars, a copule a week. She said that she may even indulge with me on occasion. How cool is that?

I've actually been reading through the handful of cigar threads on here to see what you guys smoke. Any recommendations for the novice (mild to medium) would be appreciated.

5. Random

Random i pwn Haxors

The problem with recommending cigars is that everyone’s flavor profile is different. And if you are new to them, to be honest, it will take a while for you to learn what you like. But to get you started here are a few that I like that are on the mild side.

Almost everything Macanudo makes fits this category. They are simple straight forward smokes IMHO and you will evolve beyond them.

I’ve just started smoking some house brands from Cigar.com. Try a sampler pack. So far the blue labels and their yellow (Cuban tasting) ones are pretty good and the price can’t be beat. In fact, I just got a box in yesterday.

Fonseca makes really mild almost buttered toast cigars, and they are cheap at a local B&M

Lastly my all time favorite, Montecristo white labels. Expensive, but I love’em.

Don’t be afraid of the maduros. Darker doesn’t always mean stronger. In fact the maduro wrapper tends to be sweeter than naturals.

Montesino has a nice inexpensive maduro.

Hell, I can go on for days. Start a new thread sometime and Mad and Lang and the others will be able to help out also.

Welcome to the dark side! :signhere:

rudechuck likes this.
  6. marypalooza

marypalooza First *OFFICIAL* JD Mother Lady Devil

The boyfriend likes to smoke cigars. I don't know a thing about them but I reeeallyyy want to smoke one with him. lol.

I haven't been smoking but I miss it. I feel like occasional cigars are a good compromise. :ross:

7. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

I don't see that as a problem. I intend to sample lots of different sticks. I normally spend between $25-30 a week on cigarettes, so if I'm only smoking one or two stogies a week, that leaves me with all kinds of options.

I actually have a Macanudo Maduro waiting for me at home, and a couple of Romeo y Julieta Maduros on the way. Thanks for your suggestions, they will come in handy.

I'd bet you a quarter he doesn't say no.

:threadjacked: Once again, I've made it all about me.

ded i likes this.
  8. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Rude Momma is very cool :yesman: It will be easier to quit the cigs if both of you aren't smoking - and if you want a cigar - well :woot: that sounds pretty good!

Xray and I haven't had a cig for over a month now. :ssmile:

rudechuck likes this.
  9. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Go Judy and Mike, tell him to have a piece of pie!

10. Jeff Marshall

Jeff Marshall Kydex Bender Knife Maker or Craftsman

I tried Chantix. Took the edge off but I still smoked so I quit taking it last summer. Last Nov 1st, I woke up, went out on the porch, lit up a cig and put it out after 1 drag. Sold all my Zippo's, sold the rest of the carton and haven't had one since. I drink a couple beers every night and don't miss it. Every now and then I will hit the bar with some friends to see a good band and get shit faced, still don't miss it even on a huge night of slamming.

My point to all of this?

I FIRMLY believe that unless your mind is absolutely made up to quit, you can spend as much or more a month on "quit smoking aids" and never have it do a damn thing for you. Sure, you may go a few days, maybe a few weeks, maybe even a month or 2 but unless you have your brain made up to say FUCK YOU I QUIT and soundly mean it, you will end up smoking again. There are rarities to the rule, don't get me wrong, but just saying you want to quit and give it a half ass effort without your mind being totally 100% in control, all I can say is good luck. Of course, there ain't nothing worse then the preaching of an ex smoker either so take this for what it is worth and what I know for a fact worked for me after several half hearted efforts to quit.

This is just my humble opinion of course.

11. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Macanudo Ascots ........... 10 to a tin.
    Small smokes that you don't need to commit an afternoon to.
    I enjoy a good cigar once in a while too.
    No ciggies for a good while now , and I'd say I don't miss them , but I'd be a fucking liar.
    I used them like speed while driving.............help keep me awake.
    Yesterday was 950 miles and with loading and un loading , about 22 hours.
    No smokes...............and my head only bounced off the steering wheel twice.:bwah:
    Not really.........but I was motivated to get home because I have shit to do today and since Bismarck , N.D. wasn't going to come to me , I had to go to it.
    J.S.

rudechuck likes this.
  12. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I don't want to depress you about quiting but I will tell you anyways.

I am now 51, I quit when I was 21 after smoking a pack a day for four years. Toughest thing I ever did because all of my buddies, girlfriends and family were heavy smokers. I basically had to stay away from all of them while I was quiting and the net result was I made new friends that happened to have a healthier lifestyle. I started hiking, cross country skiing, playing more organized sports and I now have a resting heart rate of 48 beats per minute. I went in a mini marathon four years ago and placed second to a 31 year old and the rest of the competition were all in their 30's. They thought I was one crazy old man LOL.

I did manage to do it cold turkey but it was very tough and to this day, I still crave a smoke after having a steak and a glass of red wine. It seems a smoke is the perfect accompaniment to a nice dinner and wine.

So good luck with your goal and I hope you succeed because of this quote I heard:

"Quitting smoking is tougher than quiting heroin" - Vancouver drug user heard on the local TV a while ago.

13. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:woot:YAY! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:yesman:I have heard this myself..:chuck:
    I am quilty for smokin' cigerettes, But.. I have never tried heroin and I do not plan on it either!:tubtar:

14. Viperkiller

Viperkiller demon speeding

It has been just over a year for me. I have quit several times over the last 8 years or so, tried Zyban and the Nicotrol inhalers and they worked pretty good. Then I figured I would just smoke a cigar once in awhile...Started back on cigarettes after about a month from having the nicotine in my system. Quit again, then while drunk in Vegas playing blackjack, had a couple cigarettes...a week later, went and bought a pack.

Then last year, I finally had enough (was turning 30) and had started when I was 13. I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis back when I was 19, and figured much more of this and ephysema/cancer wasn't too far off. Finally tired of hacking black crap up in the morning, and weazing from walking up a flight of stairs, I quit cold turkey this last time and was a real prick to be around for about a month. I finally realized I am one cigarette away from a pack-a-day. The big thing that has helped me is, I will take $4 a day, and put it in a jar. After the jar is full (or low on ammo), I will go and buy a new gun/ammo/knife.

I feel noticeably healthier, and in time, should get about 90% lung capacity/efficiency back. Weight gain wasn't an issue as I have the metabolism of a humming bird. I still have cravings every now and again, and still have weird ass dreams about smoking. Usually one where I am out riding on a Harley, I pull off the road up in the mountains, light up a cigarette then realize that I quit, throw the smoke to the ground and start stomping it out and then I wake up...

Good luck to all of you new quitters!:tubtar:

15. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Honest to God , I just heard this line yesterday from a junkie assed acquaintance of mine.
    As he was harfing down a lung heater.
    At least he's off the shit.:bwah:
    Funny thing is , he hadn't smoked in many years................until he got off dope.
    Needed a bad habit or two just to maintain his standing in the community I guess.
    J.S.

16. Boogerball

Boogerball My posse's on Broadway Brigade Member

:yesman: kicking dope is no easy feat, but when nicotine is costing me >$100 a day it might be about the same :bwah:

17. Galloglas

Galloglas knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

A had a friend back in the Rock and Roll days that had been a heroin addict as well as addicted to cocain and alcohol at times in his life/career. When I knew him (excellent bass player...) he had managed to stay clean for nearly 10 years.

He still did smoke. He could quit dope but couldn't give up the cigs.

Which is what motivated me to quit my 3 pack a day habit. I got so pissed at the tobacco companies...putting stuff in cigarettes to get people so addicted that they'd die before they could quit it made me so mad I vowed I'd die before I ever smoked another one. It took a few years to be free of the craving but now I am free of it forever.

You have to wanna quit beyond normal reason. Just casually wanting to give it up would be not likely to succeed. You really have to be militant about quitting and try again and again. If you quit for a week and fall off the wagon and smoke a whole pack with buddies drinking beer on a Friday night, don't give up. Quit again Saturday morning or Monday. Keep quitting until it sticks. Might take 30 or 40 tries but each time you will get closer and closer to final freedom.

I have tremendous self discipline....can eat all the right foods, get 8 hours of sleep a night, religiously go the get a workout, etc. But quitting cigarettes was the hardest thing I ever did by far.

ded i likes this.
  18. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

it's great to see quitters!

smoking will kill you one puff at a time...I'm getting now to where I don't have the cravings all that often. Minnesota went smoke free in businesses a year ago. It's great.

19. Bruce

Bruce New Jersey's *other* Bruce

Ah, cigarettes and heroin, there's a habit anyone could get used to!:bwah:

Unfortunatley, 2 and a half years after quitting, I still often crave a butt. What makes it worse is that my wife keeps smoking, and she has been diagnosed with a pre emphysema condition. She always says she's going to quit, but never makes any effort to do so. The Chantix box in our bedroom is still unopened after 6 months. However, it is nice to wake up in the morning and NOT spend 5 minutes spitting up all the crap like I used to and my doctors tell me they don't hear the wheezing anymore and that my lungs sound nice and clear, not to mention the $40.+ a week that ends up in my pocket and NOT having to stand outside in 14 degree weather having a smoke while the wind is cutting through me like a knife. My wife is the last person in our family to still smoke. I remember years ago when family get togethers were like a tobacco cloud. Now she has to go outside by herself as everyone but me is a vehement antismoker. I really don't mind people smoking in front of me. I never complain except to my wife because she won't stop smoking in the bedroom. I'd love to have a cigar now and then, but I'm afraid that would lead back to cigarettes. :ssad:

20. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

speakin gof cigars, when I get my lazy ass outta this chair I'ma go have one.

rudechuck likes this.