1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Quick ( SHOP TOUR )

balibalistic Dec 11, 2011

1. balibalistic

balibalistic Outlaw Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Here is a tour of my little shop. i just snapped the photo's on my cell phone so they're not the best. but it'll give you the idea.

first up: main shop view

[​IMG]

turn to the right:

[​IMG]

porta-band mounted upright for cutting pinstock,blades or whatever.

[​IMG]

right beside that is my 4x6" bandaw, for cutting blades/handles out.i modified/cut the stand off and mounted it.

[​IMG]

my little round column mill/drill

[​IMG]

kmg belt grinder

[​IMG]

digital heatreat oven

[​IMG]

drill presses,arbor press and shitty 2x72 grinder which i use for blade flats.

[​IMG]

horizontal grinder modified to accept 72" belts

[​IMG]

dedicated variable speed sharpening grinder

[​IMG]

couple small vices i use for hand rubbing and all that stuff.

[​IMG]

oh..most important part..., shop helpers :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much but does everything i need :)
    thanks for looking.

2. supersuby

supersuby OG TRIPLE OG

Very cool set up you got Shawn :thumbsup: A lot of cool toys i want or could use :manganr: Shop helpers are key, here's my partner in crime :)

[​IMG]

3. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

Cool man, thanks for the tour. My buddy has a dog that looks just like your small one, is that the one that you were worried about eating the xmas tree last year? :bwah:

4. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

Sweet set up man, it's cool to see where the majic happens!

5. papercut

papercut KILLACANE JDBA Official Member

Shit Shawn..... you keep it pretty clean in there. OCD? I sure as hell am.:bwah:

6. balibalistic

Yup thats the puppy :)

And yea,i need a clean shop, i find a dirty shop just slows me down. i constantly clean. ohhhh-cd :)

7. chintofong

chintofong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Thanks for the impromptu tour. It is neat, tidy and well lighted.

8. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Always great to get a peek behind the Wizard's curtain :D

Cool stuff Shawn!

9. Jtolly

Jtolly Dr. Joe

Amazing shop... Wouldn't expect anything less from you, Shawn. Keep um comming. I really wish I would have gotten on the list before you stopped taking new orders. I kick myself daily... Actually, I'm getting ready for another round now.

10. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

That`s a nice shop..i like what you did with the Portaband...one question...where are the knives? :cry:

11. BLADEGURU

BLADEGURU Little member

12. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

how do you buy

how does one purchase one of your knives?

13. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

how do you buy

how does one purchase one of your knives?

14. Jtolly

Jtolly Dr. Joe

You get in touch with Doc Brown and snag yourself a flux capacitor.... Get that bitch up to 88mph and go back in time to when Shawn was taking custom orders... It's not that tough... I've looked into it myself. I'll go halfsies on the DeLorean with ya. ;-)

BaByGoTtHeRuNz likes this.
  15. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

Don't forget to put that $300-400 budget money into Google stock while your back there, because it isnt going to cut it when the payment is due ;)

16. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

VERY nice shop, and very clean. I always find that a clean work bench or shop is the easiest to work in myself... I'm just shocked that you can manage to keep it that way :bwah: thanks for sharing!

17. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey Shawn, I was curious what size wheels you use for doing your hollow grinds and what grit you normally take them up to on the wheel? Any tips to getting hollow grinds more even?

Just thought I'd ask, you know what they say, learn from the best :thumbsup:

18. balibalistic

Man,I use every size wheel. The main trick is using good SHARP abrasives,and treat them like they are free. I use 3m 977 cubitrons in 50 grit for hogging,and I use a new one on every blade. For higher grits I use trizact cf gator belts in a45 and a30 grits which are equal to 400 and 600 grit. These belts are THE SHIT imo. The blades almost float on them and they last forever,all though I use a new one. Every 2-3 blades.

Sharp belts make all the difference in the world!!!

jimmyjo likes this.
  19. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

AWESOME! That's exactly what I needed to know. I haven't a problem getting up to the 200's, but I think the problem is I'm just using the wrong bets to get up to the higher grits. Thanks for the advice!

20. Les George

Les George George Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Very nice! :)