1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Question; Getting started with custom work?

JAM3X Jan 27, 2021

1. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Hello JD Flippers!
    I've been thinking about about trying to get some custom work done (AB handles slightly rounded, maybe anno) but I have no Idea where to start, or who is even doing custom jobs right now (This would be my first venture into custom stuff)... All I can find is crazy 1-off complete balisong type of stuff when I search

I'm pretty serious about another project that I have in mind too, depending on price and availability of custom work right now.

Any advice about where to look or who to ask would be extremely helpful, would love to work with someone on this forum if possible.

I also might need to get some bushings fitted on another bali that's giving me some trouble.

Any input welcome
    -Thanks

2. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

What the hell, nobody commented on this!? Sorry about that, dude. The balisong alliance is usually super responsive.

It sounds like what you want done would be referred to more commonly as "modding"; making custom changes to a production knife, whereas "getting some custom work done" sounds like you want to have a full custom built from scratch. In my mind, anyway.

I've had most of my modding done by Chad Hammer of Hammer designs (hammerdesigns on instagram), he is a great guy and does really, really solid work. His books are open! Get in while you can :)

3. TheGoldenWeed

TheGoldenWeed Tiny Member

Instagram has a lot of bali modders there. Like the above guy said, hammerdesigns is a good one. Some others are DC bladeworks, bladeswelove, boe.fly, and _._nolad_._ (some just do ano work though). You can probably find some more for your specific needs if you make a post on instagram with #balisongsale

JAM3X and AnthonyTheAbyss like this.
  4. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Like the other two post ahead of me said. Or you can try Matt Cook. If there's anybody who can mod an Alpha Beast he's the one. You can find him on this forum (or use to). But then he might tell you to f-off and wants nothing to do with modding AB's. It's a coin flip.

***The OG AB modder

JAM3X, nightrage and Pinoy Knife like this.
  5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Matt comes around pretty frequently. I saw he was on yesterday morning. Howze about it... @Pinoy Knife ... you still working on ABs?

JAM3X likes this.
  6. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

well that totally depends on how much Crap i get for it...
    After Several Attacks on me & Morgan on Facebook about things i have done for Guys from here im not really sure if Modding is worth the greif versus building the whole knife..
    as i like to say we can always "Talk" about it , but i make no promises about anything until i know Exactly what you are asking to be done and weight that against the (Crap/Greif/ Drama) such things might bring..
    i find it Funny that Everyone but me can do Re handles etc re blades, re scales etc with nothing but Praise !!! but if I do it im a Asshole WTF over

7. Blalchawk357

Blalchawk357 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Let modders mod. The whole drama thing is silly.

crogers, JAM3X and Pinoy Knife like this.
  8. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

First I gotta thank the JD crew for the help! And second say sorry for taking so long to reply; I didn't see anything for a while so, honestly, I quit checking (started to think it was just a noob question, guess it was kinda) then I got a new phone that wasn't getting JD alerts, but it's all squared away and good now.

Ok, so I need to ask about MODDING, not custom. Good to know. I've never done the IG thing before (adverse to most social media) but if that's what it takes I'll definitely consider it.

Matt Cook is a kinda legendary lol, even a new comer like me knows that, and It would be an honor to work with him (Pinoy Knife huh?). Also working with anyone on JD is a big plus to me. I'll definitely ask him if he's willing to "Talk".

Too bad I didn't find the single email alert (in my spam folder) :hairpull: from this thread like 2 days ago, before I blew like $800 on RC car shit, I might need some time to recover lol. I'm extremely serious about some AB mods, and I could really use some help with a Rep that I can't figure out how to tune (fitted bushings?)
    Thanks again to everyone who replied, I really appreciate it.

9. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

So what do ya say, can we "Talk"? Is it cool if I DM you? I'm not really picky and would love the opportunity to work with you! I'm sure I would be more than happy with whatever you do. I can let you know exactly what mods I'm looking for (it's a CHAB btw), and you can let me know if it's doable and worth talking on, if so the smaller details would be up to you
    Thanks, really hope to hear from ya

About what you said about the drama, people probably have ridiculous expectations. I promise no drama, unless you disappear to Mexico or something lol.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  10. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

you might think about using the P.M feature on J.D instead of making all your desired mods etc PUBLIC..

11. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What exactly is it that people are giving you shit for?

My opinion on mod work is that everything is acceptable as long as the modder and the knife owner come to an agreement on it. If it resembles something else, so what? It's not like you'd be mass producing clones or some shit.

Balibuyer, Pinoy Knife and JAM3X like this.
  12. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I agree with ya, and I'm curious. I can't pretend to understand cause, of all his work that I've seen, there is nothing to bitch about in the slightest IMO

Balibuyer likes this.
  13. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Seriously Matt Cook is legendary, I can't imagine anyone having the gall to give him shit, or having any reason to in the first place. Lotta weirdos out there.

14. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

Inquiring minds would like to know!!

15. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

[​IMG]

Flip Tripper likes this.
  16. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

17. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Hahahahaha...actually made me laugh out loud.

***I was that gif before getting to your post

18. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

I should have saved it for the other thread going on right now.