1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Harkins custom triton owners

bbach Mar 12, 2009

1. bbach

bbach Little member

First post here. I did a search but did not find a direct answer to my question. Sorry if this has been duplicated somewhere.
    I've been looking at (drooling over) the Jeff Harkins custom Triton otf's. My question is this: how reliable is the firing mechanism? Considering the price tag, it would be nice to know before hand.
    The only otf I have owned was a DKW Sandshark a few years back when they were still being made. While there was a misfire or two here and there, it was a strong firing mechanism and very fast. I sold that. It was pretty plain and I scuffed up the blade by doing a poor job of sharpening. I don't need the super fast firing, although that is nice. What I like in an otf is reliable firing and a strong lock up. I'm looking for something a little artsy, like the Harkins models (looks wise).
    So any input on the firing mechanism? I could not find any videos. Only the MODs came up in my searches.

2. zr24x4er

zr24x4er Huge member

I have never heard of one miss firing and the two I had were crisp and fast along with the fact that Jeff is a great person and knifemaker that will go out of his way to make sure your happy with his knives.

3. TheBladeRunner

TheBladeRunner Mr.Miyagi

+1...can't go wrong with Jeff's custom Triton. Never had a miss firing on any of my Tritons...but don't try sharpening one the tritons yourself... :-)

4. bbach

bbach Little member

Yea, I was looking at some of those blades thinking how in the world do you sharpen those beauties?

So your feelings are they lock up pretty solid?

5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

bbach-

:welcome: to The JD, from Devil Central! :cheers:

Let this post serve as the FIRST one in Jeff's new forum here, on JerzeeDevil!

:clap: :bow:

6. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

bback welcome to the JD.

You can of course introduce yourself properly in the newcomers area.

I held and admired another forum owners Triton custom OTF. Fired it a few times and it is without a doubt a fine knife. I reckon the sound it made was similar to a high end sports car. That solid 'thunk' sound a car door would make was how I described the opening of the Harkins Triton.

I have fired a few other OTF's that cost around $400 or so and there is no comparison. Jeff's work is beyond compare. I can't imagine a problem.

:thumbsup:

7. bbach

bbach Little member

I guess I'd better get looking at the various Tritons Jeff has sold in the past and see which one would really catch my eye. There aren't a lot of them around for sale. I never really like ordering spendy things without having the touch/feel experience. Living in the sticks, in this case, might require a big leap of faith. I do live in ND and get through Montana. Does Jeff have a shop that buyers can visit?

8. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Try sending him a PM or email.

He has posted here in recent memory.

:signhere:

9. Jeff Harkins

Jeff Harkins knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Bbach and all,

As this is my first post in my own forum, I wish I had more time to reflect and answer your concerns but I'm on my way out the door. ... and by the way, please feel free to stop by the shop anytime, it's always open and I pretty much live here. Just gemme a buzz...

I can appreciate yours concerns. Please rest assured that if you order a knife from me, or you purchase one on the aftermarket, that your satisfaction is guaranteed, ...and of the utmost importance to me.

If you order a knife from me there is No need for a leap of faith, if the knife isn't up to your expectations, then please just return it. No questions asked. I'll either build you another one more to your taste or refund your money. I realize these guys cost a good penny (cant afford one myself). And it's even more difficult when you cant touch it before you by it. I'm that way myself.

Anyway, I just kinda wanted to get some sort of a reply on here before I had to leave.

OH, AND THANKS FOR THE thumbs up, GUYS...
    And thank you Bbach for your interest.

Best Regards,
    Jeff
    :snoopy_flies::snoopy_flies:

10. bbach

bbach Little member

Well that pretty much answers that. That makes me feel perfectly comfortable. Thanks for the response Jeff.

11. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic the real deal

Yep, Jeff is 100% reliable and backs up everything he makes 100%. You can have full trust in buying any Harkins custom product.
    To be honest, I don't know of ANY makers that will publicly say/do this: "If you order a knife from me there is No need for a leap of faith, if the knife isn't up to your expectations, then please just return it. No questions asked. I'll either build you another one more to your taste or refund your money."

Jeff, you certainlly got my business!

12. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic the real deal

Jeff, really glad you have your own forum - long overdue :) .

13. RWG

RWG automatic for the people

Jeff Harkins

Jeff is hands down the most honest knifemaker you will ever have the experience of dealing with. I've purchased two of his high end Tritons which I just posted under his Photo Thread in this forum. The best analogy I could come up with is his pieces are the Philippe Dufour (watchmaker) of knives. The "BEST OF THE BEST"!!!:devilinheaven:

14. Borongas

Borongas Smokes Rocks

It does not get any better than a Harkins. I would regale you with my experiences but lets just say they cost that much for a reason... :devilzeek

15. zzugman

zzugman Huge member

As you can probably tell by now, Jeffs knives are worth every penny. I received mine about a month ago and I still can't stop starring at it. Jeffs communications when he was in the process of building it was by far the best of any dealings I have ever had. I will post some pics soon. I just love my triton and look forward to meeting him at blade. Thanks again Jeff for everything.

16. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Simply put,if you buy a Harkins custom knife,you get the highest degree of quality there is,an an OTF knife plus,you''ll make a freind for life..Plain and simple...

17. frosty_peter

frosty_peter Huge member

You are right man.
    Jeff makes beautiful knives and I still didn't have a chance of buying one.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at Blade 2009, and had the chance to hold some of his Tritons in my hands.
    He's truly one of (if not THE) best in his field!
    And besides that; he's also an honest and humble man.

I know about his health problems. Otherwise he probaly would make more of that fine knives I guess.

18. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

woops!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012