1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Q: SquidTrainer v3.5 vs Krake Raken

bali_n0ob Jun 3, 2020

1. bali_n0ob

bali_n0ob JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Hey all,

Disclaimer:
    first thread, I believe that i've read the appropriate rules and saw no post's related to this topic.

Just picked up a squidtrainer v3.5. I'm fairly impressed. Once I put a drop of blue lube on the washers, this thing is smooth as fuck. So i'm curious how the krake raken compares. Anyone out there have both and can speak to the quality? are they similar in how they flip?

2. Churchboy666

Churchboy666 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

all I know is that this guy says they are perfect flippers out of the box

bali_n0ob likes this.
  3. bali_n0ob

Thanks man :thanks:, yeah I've seen his review. The Krake looks exactly like a squidtrainer to me, which is why I was curious. Wondering if anyone has real experience with the two. If not, when I get one, I'll post :beavis:
    what about you? what bali's do you have and flip?

Churchboy666 likes this.
  4. Churchboy666

Churchboy666 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

:snooze:
    I'm very new to the sport so I don't have an actual balisong yet. I'm looking to buy a hom basilisk-r or a brs ab/replicant for a everyday flipper. I would kill to get my hands on a ryworx or fiore but I probably wouldn't flip them lol
    Until then I did pick up a barebones trainer recently and before that a squiddy-b. These knife makers take forever to make a drop :snooze: :rip:

mitchell la and bali_n0ob like this.
  5. bali_n0ob

:iagree: FOR REAL :thinkexplode:but its all good

apdallaround and Churchboy666 like this.
  6. xW3ND1GOx

xW3ND1GOx Little Member

I have thought about this often...

My first real Bali trainer was a Squid Triton, I loved that knife. As i progressed into more advanced tricks I started to hate the lack of texture, the smooth handles are too smooth lol. Shortly after I picked up a Krake Raken and I love it, flip it often, BUT I don't like flipping live blades around my house due to the dogs following me around. This led me to picking up a V3.5 as what i thought would be a closer flipper to the Krake Raken. It is not...

The weight on the V3.5 feels much more substantial. I personally LOVE the v3.5, as I am big on handle weight, but I personally feel it flips much differently. In terms of texture and hand feel, very accurate, other than weight. This may not matter now as the released the Kraken trainer, which I have not flipped yet.

Either way they are both fantastic flippers and I would recommend to anyone looking into squid trainers, skip the cheaper models and go to the v3.5. Its so worth it.

Hope this helps.

-Cheers :toast:

7. bali_n0ob

Nice! Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will pick up a Krake Raken when I see one come up next on the secondary market if there is not another drop soon.

Bigbosssman likes this.
  8. bali_n0ob

FINAL UPDATE:

The main differences between the Squidtrainer v3.5 and the Krake Raken:

1. The Squidtrainer is a washer pivot system VS. the Krake Raken which has a bushings pivot system
    - I personally prefer the bushing pivot system on the Raken as well as other balisong's because it can virtually eliminate handle play if the bushings are tuned right. The Squidtrainer can be tuned to a specific tightness but it is a trade off between tightening the handles to much (stiff handles) VS. handle play.
    2. Weight; the Squidtrainer is slightly heavier at 4.6oz vs the Raken which is about 4.3oz
    - This difference is minor to me personally; I prefer a weight range of 4.3 to 4.9oz
    3. The Raken's handles are longer, slightly slimmer and is a little less grippy* than the squidtrainer.
    - I wish there was just slightly more texturing on the Raken's handles but it is by no means a negative; the handles flow smoothly and are very comfortable in the hand
    4. The blade on the Raken is also slightly slimmer than the Squidtrainers
    5. I would say that the Squidtrainer is a little more handle bias which is crazy because it's pretty neutral in it's weight distribution.

All of these differences basicaly answer my original question which is that both of these offer two completely different flipping experiences. Both are very high quality but I prefer flipping the Krake Raken. I still love, use and flip the Squidtrainer however now that the Krake Raken trainer has come out; I am going to be switching to that as my main trainer (As soon as I can get my hands on one because they sell out in less than a minute [​IMG])

:ronl::wolfgang::ross::irsmart:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    blaPsplaT, Benyounkz and Churchboy666 like this.
  9. blaPsplaT

blaPsplaT JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Anyone have experience throwing live blades on any of the squid trainers/where do I buy live blades that I could throw on a squid trainer?