1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Putting down the 42

Pauly Feb 28, 2017

1. Pauly

Pauly Little member

Whatsup everyone, have a question about the next Balisong to purchase. I own a BM model 42 but want to put it on the shelf for a while and try something new. The Morpho/51 looks awesome, but seems too light as I am used to the 42.
    1st question: Is the Flytanium 51 worth it in terms of flipping? Is the extra weight a significant difference and worth the extra hundred dollars if I am used to the weight of the 42?
    2nd question: If I don't feel like camping out the internet for a Replicant drop, what is my next best option? Clearly the BRS barebones or Microtech Taychon 3. But what is the favored knife between these two? And how do they compare with the 51 and the 51 Flytanium.
    Thanks so much for any input,
    -Pauly

2. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Hi Pauly,

I think that ultimately the (my) answers to your questions are:

3. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

Go BRS or hom. Flyti handles are too short, tach 3 is a disappointment and costs too much. I personally say wait on a replicant. They are my personal favorite Bali and you'll be surprised at how smooth it is. I haven't flipped a barebones, but I've only heard good things. So that would be a good second. If you're willing to kick in the cash though you can never go wrong with an AB

K Wiliams likes this.
  4. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The Arc Angel is very very close , if you like the 42 I suggest one.
    The Rep is great but very different with it's dimensions and materials. Most folks don't seem as picky as me, so I'm sure you'll like it.

I 51 with scales, uh, I tried it and it was better. I later sold the scales. I didn't like the added weight with the original pivots and blade. (Personal Preference) The 51 is not on par or better than the 42 out of the box. BUT, it is quality and also fun. STOOpid sharp though, just like any BRS knife.

On bare bones and Tach3, I got the following from armedpootles the other day, and I value his opinion.
    "For the knives, the barebones I really love it, not many do but I think it's worth buying that's for sure. The tach 3 is very blade heavy but I thought it was a really fun flipper, just can't do chaps hah"

I had to let all my good knives go... I'd sure like to get an all Titanium handled blade again for myself. Maybe some better flippers will weigh in.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    WSMaga likes this.
  5. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

FlyTi 51 will feel handles heavy, like it will fan poorly because it is so handle heavy. This is the exact opposite of the 42, which is closer to blade heavy. You probably won't like it, but there's no way of knowing without trying!

6. gunlove

gunlove Average member

If you want one now, Flyti 51's are the easiest to find. The scales do make it a nice flipper. It's a much smaller knife, some really like this others do not. If you want to wait go for the AB or Rep and don't waste your time on trying out anything else.

WSMaga likes this.
  7. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

If you get a FlyTi blade it has bushings and adds weight to blade, it actually fans well for me. I suck at flipping, can't get the AB to fan, but Rep and FlyTi with FlyTi blade I can get going. But with a blade and scales, the Rep is definitely a better deal. Haven't tried the Barebones, there is AB Infinity for sale on BladeHQ and Knife Center but can't say much about it, know it flips different than AB

8. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

The transition for me from rep to 4x was awkward, totally different animal. The difference in weight and handle proportions were definitely noticeable and threw me way off but after flipping the infinity for a time I switched to the 4x and it was a much easier transition, I flipped the 4x much better after coming off the infinity.... I would suggest the infinity.

::Edited for Correction::

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    WSMaga likes this.
  9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you're going flyti... get the 6X not the 51.

10. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My fly 67 flips awesome.

WSMaga likes this.
  11. MaxStatic

MaxStatic Little member

After flipping an AB infinity almost exclusively since they came out, the 42 feels awkward as hell.

I can go to the 51 no fuss no muss, just lighter. The Barebones, no prob, just s little heavier. The 42 feels completely different than either of those two and I'm pretty much of the opionion now that I'm going to shadow box it on the wall for a few years rather than flip it.

12. Timbo

Timbo Tiny Member

I don't know much about the 42 since the only noteworthy balisong I've ever owned is the 51, but I will contribute by saying that the 51 is too light for me. Since you are used to the 42, I think you would feel the same about it. It does flip smoothly, but it just doesn't get the momentum that I want. I never had a chance to try the flytanium handles, but I'm sure that I would've been better off having them.

desmodus likes this.
  13. XtraMedium

XtraMedium Devil's Cohort JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have been going back and forth between my 42 t-latch and my 51. I don't have any trouble switching. The handle length difference is more noticeable for me than the weight. I have a Flyti 51 V4 on the way ( should be Monday ) that I hope is right in the middle. I also occasionally use my 62 and 67. They both have the stainless steel scales. These are as smooth as glass, but really heavy. I feel like they are too slow for a lot of moves and the consequences of mistakes are much more severe. I was just doing a full twirl with my 62 and caught my ring finger tip. It was bad enough that I spent some time looking for the piece. it cut the whole tip up to the nail clean off like a carrot.

14. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

picsor it didn't happen.

15. XtraMedium

Lol Unfortunately it wasn't my first thought to take a pic. My first thought was more like the Christmas morning scene in A Christmas Story. " wholly crap they were right... I shot my eye out. "
    Only with a finger and everyone told me I would cut my fingers off flipping around "that stupid knife all the time"
    I never did find the piece. I admit, It's very likely it looked worse than it was.

16. desmodus

ok, you get one pass.

the next time (there's always a next time) you take pictures FIRST (over the sink if necessary).

17. XtraMedium

You got it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017