1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Project Tach 2

Glenn Feb 14, 2014

1. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Grinder in. Shop coming together well . :devilwag:

[​IMG]

XxGRYMMxX likes this.
  2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Great space Glenn!!

3. DeadPuppy

DeadPuppy JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

2x42! nice! That's what I got... Since I'm not spoiled to the nice expensive grinders, it seems to be a pretty good little workhorse.

You gotta do something about the backplate though...that thing caused nightmares for me.

4. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...your place look so clean...i need to invite you for some coffee and donuts at my garage....:unintroduced:

5. Glenn

Linos, this is a fresh slate of a shop, I'm sure it's not going to stay pristine. BUTT, Make it a Pizza and I'll pack my bags. :devilwag:

Onward with Mikes knife.

To finish up the crowning of the blade I made a simple fixture to hold it in vise. The tang pins came in handy to stop movement, as I just drilled a couple of holes in each piece of wood to accommodate. Necessity is the mother of invention they say.

And there you have it, ready for a "shoe shine" using some different grades of papers to achieve a nice smooth rounded top. :madaddy:

Will post images when done. :thumbsup:

(Note to all if you do this, remove the knife blade from vise before walking away !! )

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  6. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Funny, I was just thinking as I looked at that picture "Wow, that is gonna hurt!"

7. Glenn

Guess I should have put that warning in bold for the folks with short attention span that didn't make it to the last sentence . :ropeman: :bwah::bwah::bwah:

8. Glenn

Hiccup.

Perhaps another Tach 2 mod-der can kick in here.

Back when I annoed that copper Tach I noticed a slight discoloration center-line in the handles.

I'm thinking MT stamped these rather then cut, as it has a depression center-line , anyone know info on this ?

Anyway, in hand finishing the handles Number 1 and 2 in pic, center-line you can see marks that just would not come out.

BTW Handle 4 is control, as it is untouched , as I got it from Mike at 80 Grit.

Number 3 last night I started to work on the 1x30 belt sander you can see a slight rounding to the profile. BUT the damn center-line still holds Mikes 80 grit marks. :unintroduced:

Seems the only way I will get past this "marking" center-line on all would be to totally thin out the handle stock, then place a new radius.

Tach 2 modd-ers ? Bueller, anyone ? :ross:

Left to right 1-4

1 hand sanding
    2 hand sanding for hrs :devilzeek
    3 120 grit with center-line more exposed as the rest of stock is removed, notice the slight rounding.

4 Not touched 80 grit from Mike.

[​IMG]

9. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

That middle area is hard to get to. You either have to sand it on something completely flat like a piece of glass or take the edges down. When you sand it on a flat surface you gotta press hard.

10. Glenn

Yes I get the idea I'm going to have to go "flat" again this will then require re profiling the radius to smooth out.

Mike was using a squishy sanding block of sorts that was not stiff.

But then I still have the question to as why the center-line of the handle slabs are concave. Water- jetting out of a slab of TI wouldn't cause this.

11. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

I'm not real sure, but it could be worse as a result of sanding with something spongy like you said was used.

12. Glenn

That will teach me to follow up on someone else's work. :bwah:

Kidding Mike if your peeking in, this was just a project bali beater to restore. Not a clean Bali from the get-go .

Ahh back to the drawing board. I have hope yet. :manganr:

13. Glenn

Found a interesting/relieving image in one of my other Tach modding threads.

Look at this, something up with center-line of the TI from MT's processing. :devilcorn:

[​IMG]

14. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

I have a feeling that this is going to turn into some kind of a Uri Geller style skit, and that Tach 2 handle is going to bend up like a Banana...

15. Glenn

16. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

How is it coming on Mr Glenn? I have been eyeing up the blocky edges of my T2 recently after giving it a couple of dings. I imagine some nice rounded edges will make a more tactile Tachy...or maybe push the boat out and try a Meyerhoffer surfboard style curvaceous swell or two to it....:bwah:
    Sorry I think I may have got confused with the Bali dream thread...

17. Glenn

Mikes Tach 2 has been back burner, I was waiting on my new grinder and belts to be able to better resurface those center line areas of the slabs.

More to come soon. :devilwag:

EDIT to add a new shop pic, with a wall full of proper belts thanks to Mr Bill. :manganr:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  18. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

Thats a lot of belts! Shop looks nice Glenn, I hope mine comes out as nice. I have the same drill press and a similar 1x30 grinder with some more stuff coming.

19. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

Soooooooo...

Whatever happened with this?

20. Glenn

Good question.:ropeman:

It's on the to do list, now that I've finished home renovations shop included, I will be finishing up old projects before starting anew .

This Tach 2 will be on the bench soon , I'll post some updates .

I'm sure 45Mike will be glad to have it home. :devilwag:

New shop pic for those of you that don't make it out of the JDBA area of this Forum:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014