1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Project from my engineering internship (FINISHED)

Septimus Aug 19, 2017

1. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

Hey,
    I just recently joined JD and decided I'd make my first real post.
    I am studying engineering in the 5th semester and have to do an internship so i thought why not make something fun out of it.
    As I was egerly awaiting to order a Shanklesong/now waiting for it to arrive I thought why not build a Bali on my own.
    I live in Germany so I can't make one with a live blade but a trainer is fine.
    As I did not know how much time I had for it I decided to just try and imitate the Squidtrainers handles dimensions as I randomly found a piece of aluminum which had about the perfect size for 2 handles.
    So first I cut the aluminum chunk in half and then milled the 2 halfes into the right thickness:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I started to mill out the channel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got a sweet little "stair" where the tip of the blade belongs so that it will fit in there tight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are about 12,8mm x 12,8mm x 114,4mm but I will shorten them a little bit in the end when I give it the final finish and make them perfectly even/change the length to change the balance if it is not good.
    This is what the handle looks like after all the basic milling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I took a 4mm thick piece to stell and milled it a little bit from both sides to get to about 3,4mm-3,5mm and added holes for the pivots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Afterward I sawed/filed it into the rough shape of a blade (tanto-ish) and started to drill holes in for my cut-out design:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic with all the holes (I am thinking maybe i should have left it with those as the allignment looks pretty sweet imo but it was still to heavy like this) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how it came out in the end (my initial design looked a little different but I did not had a file small enough to work that precise) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also crowned the spine a little:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up on monday I will press fit some ss pins in the handles as zen pins (and I chamfered the handles a little bit somewhere in between) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am also waiting for hardware to come in which I hope will be of ok quality as there are only a handful of shops in Germany that sells pivots/washers.
    As this is the first time I ever used a milling machine/other more professional equip so I am pretty happy with how good it went.
    I also only have a ccc at home which has a weird size I eyeballed most of my specs on the blade/tried to imitate the Squid handles as mentioned before (please no hate for this).
    Will be continuing on monday and post more updates if there is any interest (:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Looks aweome don't stop now, very impressed

Septimus and 51M1X like this.
  3. 51M1X

51M1X JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Hey looks really nice! I'm living in austria so if you want someone to test it for you just send it my way ok ;)
    No in all honesty it really does look great!

Septimus likes this.
  4. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

Thank you.
    I still got some plans to make it look a whoole lot nicer for the finish.
    Well if it actually turns out to be nice and I already got my shankles I could send it to you if you would want to try it out :D
    I'd honestly love to produce more I am having so much fun working with metal, maybe get a small milling mashine for myself but I cant justify such expense only for playing around with it :D
    But I guess there arent many people in europe that make Balisongs, so maybe there would be people in europe interested in getting a european equivalent of shanks/squids trainers (ofc with different designs so that the handles dont look like a 1:1 squid rippoff :D ).

begreen61 and 51M1X like this.
  5. 51M1X

Yeah i thought about that too! I think many people want a quality trainer in europe but don't want too deal with the customs or the shipping fees. I just 3d printed a prototype yesterday. Still have a long way to go though.
    And if you don't mind I would love to test it so just shoot me a message when your shankle trainer arrives!

Septimus likes this.
  6. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

Maybe we can do a collaboration some day :D
    Sure, I will do that. Guess the Shankles should arrive next week, and my trainer should be finished by then aswell if the hardware comes in soon (:

51M1X likes this.
  7. 51M1X

A collab would be nice ;)
    Have a great rest of the day!
    Simon

8. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Would be honored ,Thanks

9. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Little member JDBA Official Member

Congrats on joining our community. We need all support by great ppl such as yourself to be members. I joined #JDBA and i feel apart of mire then a community. Its a family. The members on here are serious and honest. Its also about balisongs balisongs and more balisongs. I love the fact if i need my brothers for help or advise these guys and ladies will surely help. Ron is awesome. He just really cares about the balisongs the sport of flipping the best thing about this community you have first hand information on whats good whats not. So congratulations bro oh if your on Instagram go check out my page s4smitty. Im also proud to be a Flipaholix member and founder. Im thankful for what im now apart of a movement a community a family. Congrats brother

blackmetal1181 and Septimus like this.
  10. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Cool as hell for a first time project.

Take it as far as you can until it costs you personal expenses.

If you can get enough Europeans interested, decide then if you want to devote a few (or many!) years of your life to our community/industry.

And always post progress pictures.

We love pictures.

Septimus likes this.
  11. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

I was reffering to 51M1X comment in the second part of my answer but I guess I could do a whole send-around :D
    Yea, I've already seen that JD is truely a great place!
    I will definetely take it further.
    If the balance allows it I planned to maybe make some inlays out of copper for the handles.
    That would probably look neat.
    I will finish this and then look on to how much producing a few more with own equipment would cost I guess.

begreen61 likes this.
  12. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

So today i got to do the Zen pins:
    [​IMG]
    I first press fitted them in there and then filed the part of them that still stood out:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Afterwards I continued working on the blade (especially the parts where the Zen pins belong) so I could finally bring all parts together (except for the hardware I ordered as that was only shipped today and will arrive tomorrow or on wednesday.
    Build together with 2 of the pins that I also used for the Zen pins as pivots and rubber band to secure them + a slim piece of paper as washers so that the surfaces are protected until the bronze washers come in it looks something like this:
    [​IMG]
    The little "fin" as Zen pin stopper was actually not intended at first but I have to say that I really like the look of it. It also tells you which one is the safe/bite handle even if youre not looking at it just by brushing over it with your thumb.
    [​IMG]
    I will still file the blade down so that the handles get closer together/the bite handle higher as the safe handle looks fine from its positioning imo.
    Aaand the handle play:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tbh I am pretty happy with the handle play as there is almost nothing between the handles (apart from the paper mentioned before but it should get a whole lot better with real washers).
    Next update will probably come on wednesday if I got the pivots until then.

Xmegaman likes this.
  13. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

If the handles are aluminum, won't the zen come loose after some use?

*it does look good though

Septimus and thegoodedge like this.
  14. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

that might happen..
    To be honest I did not ever expect it to come out anything close as nicely as it did and therefore I did not think I would flip it that much.
    I actually made another blade as I did not like the first one that much and I started to fit my washers today.
    In my honest opinion I like it even more than my Shankles which came in yesterday (amazing trainer though, probably a LOT more durable than mine).
    But maybe thats just because I made it myself and therefore it has to feel great to me :D
    It is pretty bouncy and the blade has a little bit of that sweet "ring".
    Tomorrow I will get into shaping all the parts to their final form/maybe try to perfect the washers even more
    and then post an update.

desmodus likes this.
  15. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

So yesterday I got the washers finished and got to start with improving the optics of the knife a little bit.
    Here is a pic showing the washers (they are pretty slim, 0,35mm when they arrived but I had to sand them down even more):
    [​IMG]
    The handle play is pretty minimal but it could be way better if the surface quality of the handle inside were to be better (you can see in the previewes pic that the surface is kinda chipped so I had to file it in the area where the washers are to reduce friction but that made the surface more "wavey" and therefore caused more handle play):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a GIF of the handles smoothness:
    https://giphy.com/gifs/z295gCMvf56co
    Here is another picture of what the whole knife looks like:
    [​IMG]
    I only started working on the finish of the handles by sanding them with 240 sand paper which makes for a nice look but also gives it a great surface that is exactly the right mix of slippery and grippy imo (you can see that it is not close to even sanded as I just had around 15 mins to start the sanding and then had to go home but it gives a rough idea of what it will look like).
    And here is another video to show you how it sounds:

I recorded this with my phone and sent it to my pc via Facebook.
    Therefore the quality is pretty shitty but I guess you can get a rough idea of what it sounds like (the video doesn't give the real ring any justice though, gotta try to record it with a normal mic in the upcoming days).
    All in all it does flip like a dream to me. Its super smooth, carrys momentum greatly, is pretty bouncy and just feels awesome imo.

I am actually thinking about producing a small batch of maybe 10 trainers of way higher quality with a cnc milling machine.
    Do you guys think it would be seen as a squid ripoff/do you think there would be people interested in these?
    The handles do look similar but then again they are basically only the most basic form of a channel design.

What still needs to be done:
    General finish of the whole kinfe;
    embedding the pivot screws to be flush with the handles;
    maybe making the chamfer on the handles a little bit bigger;
    maybe doing some inlays on the ends of the handles to add even more momentum, but I am not to sure about this yet.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    desmodus and stdlrf11 like this.
  16. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

So it is finished now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I gave it a rough shiny shinish which gives it just the right amount of grip while still being nice and shiny.
    As the finish is rough it also not as bad to get small scratches/ bumbs in it as with a smooth finish.
    I will most likely try to get a small batch of 10 of these produced by a high end CNC milling mashine mostly because I want one for myself but the production costs for 1 are just so much higher compared to 10.
    It will use 7075 aluminum for the handles (one of the hardest and most stable aluminums available) and some standard stainless steel for the blade.
    I will most likely keep 3-4 of them for myself and friends and sell the other 6-7 for around 115€ including worldwide shipping per trainer.
    If somebody here has interest in one please PM me.

17. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

I would pay you 115 USD, but not 115 Euros, as that is around 137 USD, and The fit and finish of this simply doesnt compare to even the triton. Squids budget bali. Comparable in materials and construction, but not overall finished quality.

Septimus likes this.
  18. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Welcome to the best forum on the net

19. Septimus

Septimus Tiny Member

Hey, thanks for the input but I did not choose the finish because of the price but because I personally like it.
    I just want this one to be exactly like the handmade one and if I do choose to make another Trainer it will be a new design that is not that close to the Squid.

20. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

Not to say you didnt do a great job. Because you definitely did.

Septimus likes this.