1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Project Atlas

SpydercoLover Feb 8, 2016

1. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

I spent more time trying to get information so I could have my waterjet guy get parts cut than the OP did designing this fucking pipe dream...

Where's my fucking money???

FlyGuy, laughingbuddha and Silent Jay like this.
  2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

:devilcorn:

Baliman987 likes this.
  3. SpydercoLover

SpydercoLover Level: True Devil

All, from moment one I have offered that at any point if any backer wanted their money back they would have it right then, welderknifenut can attest to this.

Steve, I will refund your money right now . But, you are my friend. Whatever you're mad about did not involve me and I would like to move past this. You have been a friend and a mentor from the beginning and it honestly saddens me things are the way they are right now. Give me a call.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Ricky you could have built these knives from scratch at this point?

5. SpydercoLover

You are correct. A lot of the delays were do to me stupidly putting trust in other people to do the work which in turn screwed me over. I know it's taken a long time, I hate that fact. Like I said earlier, if anyone at any point wanted their deposit back, I'd refund it no questions asked. If everyone wants it back, no problem. I am working on these knives. They will be finished. I have not given up when many would have, and I am continuing on. I want this to be done just as much as the people who want their knives. I will finish these

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I've built a few balis. Then realized it would be easier to pay $600 for somebody else to do it.

***Good luck kid...you might have to eat the cost

desmodus likes this.
  7. sage

sage JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Continuing to communicate the delays to the people who have ponied up money, even if its just saying things are going at a snails pace, would be a good idea. If anything, it puts their minds at ease. It also allows people to back out incognito, rather than have a mass exodus of people copping out because of a string of texts stating that this project is a farce. At least you reply when there is an outcry. I once waited two years for a "reputable" knife maker/modder to answer my texts to no avail. Then I just gave up and chalked it to a douchbag that fleeced me. Lesson learned.

You responding to these texts and the fact that you have promised backers a way out at any time, makes me believe you are an honest dude in a bad situation. And the knife looks really badass! Hope it works out for you.

Baliman987 and desmodus like this.
  8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

EVERYONE, if there is some 'elsewhere' drama, let's LEAVE IT ELSEWHERE.

Keep the topic on track, or at least as best on track as we can here at The Mighty JD.

:ron:

Ben. likes this.
  9. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Let's see some pics when they're ready to go! I'm curious.

10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Whats the delay?

New delays or old delays?

Your last update was on the 13th December 2017.

If it were me I'd be updating monthly even if the update is there nothing to update.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  11. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

A regular monthly update is well within reason if you have others money.

seandavid55 likes this.
  12. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Jeez if you know one thing about this place you've created here it's that the drama is RELENTLESS ;)

thegoodedge and BennytheBlade like this.
  13. SpydercoLover

You guys are right, I do need to be more proactive on updating. The biggest delay was Jeff Muttz, a supposedly well known knife maker, borderline stealing all the parts for months and "working" on them. He completely butchered any handles he did "work" on. He even went so far as resurfacing, adding a latch (that wasn't even straight) and completely fucking up the grind on the prototype I sent him as a reference. It took me calling the owner of the company he works for to finally get my parts shipped back to me. I'm working with the maker who ground the first two to finish up the blades and radius the handle. I did all the reaming, counterboring, countersinking on the handles. Once they are ground and assembled the last thing I have to do is make and fit the latches. So, with that being said I'm trudging along!

14. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

While it certainly sucks to have that happen and we're sure you don't like talking about it, that information is exactly the sort of thing that helps us understand that it isn't your fault or laziness that's delayed progress.

Cheers and best wishes for finishing it all up.

15. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I did decide some time ago to ask for a refund on my deposit and spydercolover did refund me asap. Hope it works out for you building this bali my friend.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  16. SpydercoLover

Little update. Some blades are starting to filter back from grinding. We ended up going with a slimmer swedge grind to give the blade a sleeker appearance. Hoping to get some handles back soon so that we can do some final assembly pics and get these moving out!

Attached Files:

guyver, Ben., desmodus and 2 others like this.
  17. SpydercoLover

More update. Some handle sets are filtering in now as well. Still have to cut the tang cups (this pic was before I put the tang pins in the blade) stonewash the handles, and hit the countersinks one more time. Even without properly tuned bushings and the tang cups not cut in, I love the way this knife flips. 4.3oz all said and done, and a pretty neutral weight distribution:yuna:

Attached Files:

desmodus and HonorHer like this.
  18. SpydercoLover

I know. I know.
    ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME.:ross:

More pics soon to follow.

Attached Files:

19. SpydercoLover

I realized I never posted any final photos here. Well, the overly long road is over:ross:

Attached Files:

20. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

available on ig? all claimed?

Balibuyer likes this.