1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Preventing wrought rust

P. McKinley Sep 7, 2011

1. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've been playin' around with some old wrought iron wagon wheel lately. I've made a couple of guards and some smaller fittings so far. Interesting and beautiful..... I love working with it.

But, after shaping, etching and polishing the high ridges with 2000 grit, I'm unable to prevent it from rusting up in the etched depressions.

What's your trick?

2. OxBlood

OxBlood I'm your huckleberry

A white vinegar bath will remove rust.
    To give it a protective coating just heat it up black hot & brush on some beeswax, oil, whatever you want.

3. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

..... and if its already on the knife? (he asks impishly)

4. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Try a company called Eastwood. It is an automotive restoration catalog, they have a few rust encapsulating and converting products. maybe they have something to help you. :shakie:

5. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

You could also use Renaissance wax. Just heat it up until it is liquid and wipe it on, works pretty good in my experience.

6. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

I use eezox. :devil1:

GEEZER likes this.
  7. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

X2.

Been using this on my rifles that are used to -20f.

Good stuff!

The more I've thought about this, eezox is a great idea!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  8. hoser

hoser Huge member

So is this RUST beginning to form or patina? It's Rex45 steel and before purchasing, want to know what I'm dealing with and how to fix (if needed)?

Attached Files: