1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Preventative Maintenance / EDC Daily Care

Joker188 Jul 31, 2018

?

Are you proud to EDC a balisong?

1. Yes, best deployment available.

2. No, fixed blade all day.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Greetings devils,
    I was about to send out an SOS when I found myself in trouble with my AB. I recently made my AB 3.0 Premium my EDC when I committed it to becoming a beater but also saw the formidable gains from extra daily hours flipping a well balanced knife. 3 nights into making it the EDC I found unexpected rust spots. In a quick scrambe I reached for the closest available all purpose oil (WD-40) and wiped down the blade. I'm hailing from the Mid-Atlantic region in close proximity to the ocean. This removed most of the new rust but left behind what I assumed were the rust spots of origination. I perused the Hom website and picked up a recommendation for 'Eezox Premium Synthetic Gun Care' oil. I wish to sing their praises for erasing any speck of rust visible on the blade. Afterword I placed one drop of 'Nano-Oil 10 weight - NanoLube Anti Friction Concentrate NLNA10w15cc' on each side of both pivots. This made the beast buttery smooth, but unexpectedly brought the characteristic ring down to a lower tone. To my happy surprise it also drove grime out from the washers to easily be wiped away.

After applying both to the AB I was eager to treat the Basilisk. What was already a tight smooth knife instantly became a ninja stealthy silent killer.

I feel like I've given my collection due respect after minimal research but I'd like to find out what everyone else regards as a proper routine to keep everything in prime shape.

Eezox Premium Synthetic Gun Care (1.5oz Drip Bottle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y33SALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nHbyBbED9F0F4

Nano-Oil 10 weight - NanoLube Anti Friction Concentrate NLNA10w15cc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07254XKRP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0wbyBb9DEF9C4

Sincerely,
    Joker

Balibuyer likes this.
  2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm really fond of crisco

3. Blade63

Blade63 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

If you haven't already try Ballistol it's inexpensive or the fans favorite xtra virgin crisco

4. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

make sure you wipe the knife down with any oil after use. for my blades that I couldn't get all the rust off, I just sent back to the maker and cleaned up like new

5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Maybe you should redo your pole. There are more to knives that balisongs and fixed blades.... Jus' sayin'....

6. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

15cc of nano oil for 26 bucks plus shipping...hoo boy. So that's about $52 per fl oz, and mineral oil is about $0.125 per fl oz. 10-weight nano oil is around the same viscosity in my experience (and certainly way closer than the 5-weight or 85-weight), but is it worth over 400x the price? I've yet to be convinced lol. In my opinion, you're just as well off with a cheap needle applicator and a $2 bottle of mineral oil that'll last you the rest of your time on earth (unless you use it for other stuff too). But I'm not here to judge a fellow devil; just my two cents. :)

Also, to address the main point: I'm also very close to the ocean, and I EDC'd an AB for a few months (sticking to a 42SMC these days), but I've never had any issues whatsoever with corrosion - I think this is partially because whichever knife I'm carrying daily gets fairly regular TLC; I have a cheap needle applicator of mineral oil at my desk at work, and at home on my coffee table, so if I'm taking a little break at work or watching TV at home, I'll work a drop or two into the pivots, and then put a tiny drop on the blade and spread it around with my fingers. But I can also just as easily go almost a week without doing this without any part of the knife suffering any corrosion. At the end of the day, these blades are stainless steel (154CM on the AB, my 42SMC is one of the old 440C ones)...maybe you've had some bad luck with humidity, or some sweaty pockets ;)

7. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Yeah, I for one, choose my Microtech autos for EDC. MUCH faster deployment than a bali, a bit faster than a flipper, and just plain fucking badass (when legal to carry.)

Balis are a very strong and reliable design but not a GREAT EDC for me, unless I'm looking to keep my hands entertained as well as cut things.

crogers likes this.
  8. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

It's one concealed carry option for non permissive environments, I suppose. Better with a skirt than pants I suspect.

Organ Grinder and crogers like this.
  9. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I don't know if I should be disgusted or intrigued.

skyblue and crogers like this.
  10. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Prolly BOTH! :brainbleach:

11. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

You own a squirrel, you're definitely intrigued.

skyblue and crogers like this.
  12. wes

Don't try it with a squirrel. If you think back, it didn't turn out so well for those gerbils.

crogers likes this.
  13. desmodus

rip little gerbils

crogers and skyblue like this.
  14. wes

Though the squirrel does have a more robust and grab-able tail I suppose ...

15. desmodus

And needle like claws on all four appendages.

16. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

crogers likes this.
  17. wes

Well, you could use these or these ...

18. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

That one took a turn. Yeah, it's crazy expensive but wanted to give it a try. I've heard some types of oil attract gunk in the pivots more than others and that's why I'm putting the question out there. I also don't anticipate using more than 4 drops every... few weeks. That small bottle should last me awhile. I was able to eat the price after hearing an opinion about tools. It went along the lines of why pay hundreds for a knife then strip the hardware with cheap tools. I figured good oil may be part of the investment but perhaps it's all the same. I believe it was a YouTube tutorial by cmf metalworks on disassembly of the alpha beast where I picked up the oil recommendation.

19. desmodus

That's the absolute truth. It's worth getting quality drivers for maintenance. I use wiha, but there are others that are just as decent.

For oil I use the nano oil stuff. For what it costs and how long it will last it's literally pennies a month.

It's like penny pinching the insurance cost when you buy or sell a knife that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. The little bit extra it costs is worth protecting yourself.

20. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Rhapsody needed a cleaning and loc-tite treatment. Buttery smooth flipping now.

1539629835770398.jpg