1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing compounds and rust

rock3r4life Jan 25, 2021

1. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

My question here is that I have a few beautiful and shiny blades made from steel with 0% chromium (hello rust) that I enjoy having polished, to which I always kept oiled, but now I have "Blue Magic polish cream" that CLAIMS to leave a thin silicon film behind to provide "lasting protection"
    Do you think that makes oil unnecessary? Even if I did oil it, I would assume the natural properties of any residual silicone"film" making it look worse and/or not stick.

Would LOVE some opinions/science.

2. adnj

adnj Huge member

Silicone, like oil, is hydrophobic. Water is repelled and less likely to reach the steel surface.

You could still have finger smudges or just bumps from packaging and storage that thins out the coating.

No thin film gives you as much protection as a thick film. A controlled climate gives you better protection than a film, and so on.

If you plan to handle the knives, keep them clean and coated. Wax, silicone, oil, whatever. If you plan on storing them, keep the air dry and room temperature. Use a dessicant or dehumidifier.

Good luck.

rock3r4life likes this.
  3. rock3r4life

I appreciate your knowledge however I have not particularly learned anything new; as I feel I already know the basic causalities of rust, I am mainly looking for what others have seen in action. Knowledge from action is always better than knowledge from "books"
    PS, nice avatar

4. adnj

adnj Huge member

I am sitting on my patio looking out at a tropical beach. The short answer is that no low chromium blade is going to be bright and shiny long unless you polish the shit out of it every day. I have seen my own M4 get fucked up with every "protector" out there. You can watch it change color overnight here. Oil on silicone is a major fuck up. They sit on top of each other and just collect dust witch also counteracts the moisture resistance. Those polishes work in places where corrosion is no real threat anyway. None of them work near the ocean.

The best protector that I have used was a linseed oil, beeswax, turpentine mix. Its thick, yellow and works.

Is that real world enough? Covid happens and everybody forgets that they can only be rude after they give up some throat.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    rock3r4life likes this.
  5. rock3r4life

I sincerely appreciate your information.