1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Polaris Go *Poof* (again)

PS-RagE Feb 17, 2016

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My winter toy is a 2012 Polaris Switchback 800 (137" track). Like my bikes in summer, I run back and forth to work on the sled. It is a great stress reliever (most of the time).

[​IMG]

Last night on my way home it seized up - again :cry: This will be the 3rd time I've blown this engine in 5 years now. Frustrating to say the least as this is usually a season-ending event.

So, this morning I paid a visit to the local Arctic Cat dealer and took a ZR9000 Ltd for a spin. Unlike the two-stroke Polaris, this is an 1100cc, turbo-charged four-stroke. The one I test drove included a factory-installed SpeedWerx Stage 2 kit that delivers up to 240hp :devilzeek

[​IMG]

Being a four-stroke, it is quite a bit heavier than the Polaris but has unbelievable brutal power. I rode it in "only" 180hp mode and it was a real arm stretcher. I can only imagine 240! :devilzeek

Certainly not inexpensive toys, however. Waiting to hear the verdict on the Polaris then to decide if I can deal with the extra weight of the Cat? (and the price tag)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  2. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

A few years ago, the skiing company I work for here in the Colorado Rockies tried to be more *Green* and go with the 4 stroke Polaris sleds for our ski hills.

Long story short version, they didn't work out. Just didn't have the guts to pull the climbs up the runs with their extra weight,
    at elevations approaching 11,200ft. Especially towing a rider...

And laying one over on its side was a real PITA to correct. HEAVY became a new curse.

Back to 2 stroke (Wide Track 600's) we went ASAP and never looked back.

Now obviously, YMMV. Just saying what my experience was with these machines...

3. PS-RagE

Honestly, the weight is my concern. It feels significantly heavier than my Switchback. I'm no pro rider by any means but I do like to ride aggressively in the rough stuff and will venture into the deep when I'm with others.

Power is certainly not an issue with this machine. I'm coming off a performance sled now and not using the term "brutal power" lightly. I suspect part of the reason it felt so powerful is because of how easily it could throw around that weight.

The big thing for me is the reliability. Having that two-stroke blowing up every year is killing me. Riding season is short enough as it is!

I can't decide if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of buying this thing.

:decisions

4. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

Ski-Doo

[​IMG]

/end thread

5. PS-RagE

Yeah, my buddy has that sled. I'm done with two-strokes.

Looking at a turbocharged SRV 141 now.

6. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

what on earth?..... you fucking rock ps-rage!

damned driving from suburbia to inner city hospital every day has me thinking my life is somewhat bland

7. PS-RagE

:bwah:

Stress relief man. I start and end every day with an adrenaline hit (not a fan of early Spring and late Fall).

Actually, it takes less time to get to work on the sled than it does with the truck.

8. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

God I can remember my fathers first Polaris it had a wooden cowl Damn I'm old

9. PS-RagE

Traded in the blown-up Polaris on a new Yamaha SRV X-TX. Got a pretty good deal on it since it is last year's model. It is not as powerful as the 'Cat (yet) but feels a lot lighter.

Going to try to get it broken in over the next two weeks and then it is back to the shop to be fitted with a turbocharger :madaddy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stdlrf11 likes this.
  10. PS-RagE

Buying these things starts a trend, it seems! I was out riding with one of my techs on the weekend and today he rides in on my sled's twin (although as a 2T):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bwah:

11. PS-RagE

"Fixed" my Yamaha and got rid of that red. New colour scheme looks kinda familiar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone knows orange is the fastest colour!

While I was at it I added a turbocharger, full custom suspension and custom seat :ropeman:

Snow is still pretty shallow but we managed to get out for a few hours yesterday.

[​IMG]