1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

"Pocket Bowie" Clip-point Hunter

J. Neilson Jan 24, 2010

1. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just finished this one up and she'll be going to Paul for a sheath tomorrow...

[​IMG]

This Clip-point Hunter is slightly downsized to more of a "Pocket Bowie" style. The 4 1/2" blade is forged from edge-quenched W1 high carbon steel with acid soaked forge marked flats and an etched hamon/quench line. The guard and handle pin are stainless steel. The handle material is original "Westinghouse" Micarta with a black spacer behind the guard. This knife is 9 1/2" in overall length.

2. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

It seems like each one is better than the one before it - I'm guessing you'll peak some time around May or June of this year though....

Thanks for sharing so much of your work!

Austin

3. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

I like that one, J.

Have you got another pic of the Westinghouse?

4. J. Neilson

That's my plan Austin, thanks. :madaddy:

Here's a couple with the flash on Soup so you get to see every gritty little detail. I'm not even sure I like the way this stuff looks but it's pretty damn tough and it was a windfall getting the small amount of this stuff I did. Apparently, they stopped making this stuff in the 60's from what I hear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Thanks, J.

I've not seen that Micarta before... but I like it.

Superb work.

:thumbsup:

6. mickey2

mickey2 Huge member

Wow! nice work, I have not seen the rag micarta in over 30 years, do you have a good supply source? Highly durable, more so than the usual type available today.

7. J. Neilson

No, unfortunately. I've only got enough for about two more knives.

8. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

It looks like a great cross-over knife, really like the hamon line on it also.

Great work, as usual !

9. jawilliams0425

jawilliams0425 knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

J. you are going to get me into trouble yet. I keep coming back and looking at.

10. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

Yessir, J is more adept than a Times square pickpocket at separating you from your cash . The good thing is though you get a wonderful treasure to play with when he takes your money !

11. J. Neilson

OK, I'm going to take that one as a compliment Gunny. :madaddy:

12. ssunfish

ssunfish Huge member

Hi, J. Thanks for posting this one. I really think it's cool what you can do, and the elements of knives that you combine into this one...it's very unique and captivating: The blade shape and size with a Hamon and other finishing touches...I guess you have to do super neato stuff when you are in business. I remember a shop I visited where he had a sign: "This ain't no museum...these knives are for sale!" :ssmile: I'm glad you shared with us---Joe

13. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

It really is a compliment, you know how much I admire the things that come off the Mountain, somebody buy this QUICK to save my own budget !

14. J. Neilson

No worries, she only lasted about an hour on the e-mailing list. Now she's off to the great white north!

15. ssunfish

ssunfish Huge member

Oh. God you mean you made that on speculation?? To think it was up for grabses????? Way to ruin my year, J> :bwah: SO got any pics with the sheath and all???---Joe

16. J. Neilson

Nope, went out of here too quick but, it was another beauty of a Paul Long tooled pouch sheath.