1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me ID this balisong (it is weird, I promise)

Nephilim May 24, 2020

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Tiny Member

I bought this at an antique show right before everything was locked down. I definitely count this one as a lucky break. 20200315_132959 (2).jpg 20200315_133107 (2).jpg
    Both the seller and myself suspected that this was an old Finnish Hackman. Before Hackman made their iconic red nylon handled butterfly puukko, they did make one with metal handles and red scales. But this isn't it.
    This is an early 60s Hackman (not mine, just an image I found on GIS). Bright red plastic scales, wide flathead screws, different style of latch, and the Hackman logo is on both the handles and the blade. So, it's not a Hackman.
    1517541278066107788260 (2).jpg

Consulted some other folks about it and they told me about Waltco's SAF-T-SHEATH knives from the 1940s. Didn't occur to me that it might have been an American knife until that point. Still, the Waltco's have a big logo stamp on the side of the handle and mine's devoid of markings. My best guess now is that its a "Heming Outdoor Knife" which I believe is from a different company than the Hemming Brothers knives from the 1910s. Apparently made by the Hemingway Manufacturing company of Chicago in the 1930s. But that info is just off of a seller's page with an inflated price. I was hoping I could find something more reliable, like maybe period adverts by that company? Your thoughts?

2. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Tiny Member

Yeah, that listing was my best source of information. I might not have the box for this thing, but you can bet I didn't pay 700 bucks for it.

chutcher, Balibuyer and apdallaround like this.
  4. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I bet I know where it'll end up though :bwah:

***Isn't this deja vu?

5. apdallaround

i suppose its like this

let us inform

let the rest be history

let it not bring down our community

people come for honest knowledge and let us be the sage

let the crooked rott in their actions, karma will catch them

much love JD brothers

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That thing is older than Transformers Generation 1...which makes it beyond my knowledge and age demographic. Cool looking piece though.

***Thanks for sharing (sharing is caring)

7. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

I have a very similar knife. mine is serrated like a fishing knife and has red bakelite (? I think...) handles. Never could get it ID'd proper...

Nephilim likes this.
  8. apdallaround

dude wtf i’ll waste a bunch of time looking for it.

brb

edit:

found it
    https://balisongbutterflyknives.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=496

NOT:raoul:

include a pic maybe grymm

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  9. Nephilim

Nephilim Tiny Member

When you say serrated, do you mean it had a descaler on the spine of the blade? Could you post a picture?

10. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

I just dug mine out and i dont know why i thought it was unmarked. Mine is clearly stamped a waltco saf-t-sheath (the serrated part is a de-scaler). Ill post some pics tomorrow when i have my laptop up.

pics added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    apdallaround likes this.
  11. Gtrtech

Gtrtech JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]

apdallaround and XxGRYMMxX like this.
  12. Nephilim

Nephilim Tiny Member

Yep, those are Waltcos. All I know about them it that they were sold from the late 40s until the late 50s and the company was based in Chicago (edited. I previously misstated where it was made).
    I did find this image of a period advert:
    large_290_WaltcoHuntingKnife1949small.jpg

Back then, there were some utilitarian butterfly knives and it makes sense. Probably as close as you could get to a fixed blade functionality in a folding package. Here's a modern take on a balisong fishing knife by Daiwa, a Japanese tackle company. 20191028_204412 (2).jpg

apdallaround likes this.
  13. Nephilim

Nephilim Tiny Member

I found I little more information on Waltco knives, in a couple old articles by Levine. Thought I'd post them here.
    http://svalbardrepublic.org/z-wi-working-bak/wisep13-429-proof01.pdf
    http://svalbardrepublic.org/z-wi-working-bak/wioct13-430-proof2.pdf

Edit: Pretty sure my knife is from about 1949 and has celluloid scales. Been looking up tips on celluloid preservation and uh... yikes, this stuff is a potential nightmare. From examining some pictures, looks like the Waltcos from the 50s have scales made of plastic or nylon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  14. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Yeah. Flip that mofugger and post a vid.