1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Pics of your bench, reloading or otherwise.

cja245 Sep 7, 2012

1. cja245

cja245 Level: True Devil

I took these pics for another forum, but figured i'd post them here too. This is mainly a reloading bench, but is my all purpose gun cleaning, knife sharpening, woodworking, soldering, or what have you bench. I set all this up fairly recently. The bench is made of 4x4's and a solid oak table top. It weighs like 150 lbs and is solid as fuck. I found the vise at yard sale for 25 bucks. Press is a Dillon 550 and thats a RCBS lube-o-matic beside it.

Post pics of your bench.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Venomblade

Venomblade Average member

That is a pretty sweet setup man. I aspire to have one similar someday. Thanks for sharing brother!:thumbsup:

3. knifezoid

knifezoid Bladerunners Systems -=BRS=- Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice set up CJA! I wish I had that much space. I kind of do now,
    but I need to clean it up a bit to really take advantage of it. When
    I first started I had a make shift set up in my DINING ROOM (oh yes
    the wife LOVED that). The press was mounted onto a wood board
    and the board clamped on to the table. It worked alright actually,
    just was messy and cramped.

"I swear honey it's a very complex espresso maker!"
    [​IMG]

Gotta put in the balisongs as well! :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How NOT to reload! My first three reloaded rounds ever. :bwah:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  4. Venomblade

WOW cool Zoid! I have not got a relaoder because i really did not have a bench but your setup is inspiring me!!! With your current setup how many rounds per hour would you say you could crank outta that thing?

5. thevinstigator

thevinstigator JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Gotta love the Dillion 550, the most versatile reloader and economical to boot. Been using mine, bought second hand for over 20 years.

6. knifezoid

Go for it man! If I can set up on the dining table as a married man then
    that proves ANYTHING is possible! :bwah:

When it's all up and running I've done 400 in about an hour or so. I've
    done 1000 in a little under 3 hours. You can go faster, but it's not
    recommended as you are more prone to mistakes.

I've thought about upgrading to a Dillon, but it's quite a bit more
    cost and although the lee is a bit finicky at times it does get the
    job done.

7. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Little member

I love the 550 as well. I just purchased 3 more caliber conversion kits so that I don't have to empty the powder hopper to switch calibers.

8. SCRooster

SCRooster Little member

Mine is still under construction ... adding custom cabinets and a custom bench, but it is getting there:

I had to add cables to the tops of the cabinets, (even though I have them glued and screwed into studs every 16" on center, because I calculated they would be holding very near a ton of pills and powder when I am done.) Here is a shot of how I rigged the tops, I need to take another pic with the cables that are attached to ceiling joists with similar 4" eye hooks. (All of the cabinets now have doors on them.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still more has to go in there ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This red reloading bench goes in there as well ... it is where I mount my single stage press for decapping and prepping.

[​IMG]

I put these lights in, they are micro flourescents and supposed to burn very cool and very spark free .... but they turn-out a ton of light. This was before I buried the wires in the cabinets that are actually fire-retardant from the bottom up.

[​IMG]

Also, the wall behind the cabinet is fire-stopped ... those in the construction industry understand what I am talking about ... but there is even a firewall in the attic.

This is the actual bench I am building for the room that goes under the lights along with some other furniture ... but this is the bench which both presses will be mounted on. That thing hanging over the edge on the top is the tiled back-splash and it is now attached to the back of the bench facing forward.

[​IMG]

It's actually finished now with all four drawers in place, plus doors on the front.

[​IMG]

It holds big ammo cans, side by side, fill with cast boolits ... so I built it extra sturdy plus it rolls.

[​IMG]

I need to take some more pictures as this room has come a long ways since I took these.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  9. cja245

that is some serious storage. I'm impressed. :devilzeek

10. cja245

From what i've heard that Lee Pro press is a pretty slick set up. Like everything Lee makes you wonder how the hell they can sell it for that price and still have a warranty. I have a lot of Lee stuff and its all really decent high value equipment. Their 6 cavity molds are excellent. Also they make dies for like everything and there all like 25 bucks a set.

My buddy has a similar situation to yours. He just bought a press not that long ago. He got a Dillon Square Deal. He has a bench set up in the garage, but its not heated, so its a seasonal thing. He doesn't have space for the press indoors. He bought one of these folding workbenches and it actually works really slick. His is a craftsman, but its similar to this. Its actually way more solid than i would have thought. It has a step on it for your feet that ends up making it really solid. He bolts it on there with wing nuts so its easy to take off off the press, fold it up, and stick it in a closet.

[​IMG]

11. Venomblade

Well Zoid,

You did it .....pushed me over the edge mate. I am gonna go for it been putting it off for too long, but my 44mag is not getting any cheaper to shoot so think it is time to take the plunge!

Appreciate the encouragement!

Thanks
    Venom:thumbsup:

12. knifezoid

Wow that is actually stable enough for a reloading bench?
    I would think the lever action would move the table just
    from the pics. I will look into that.

Awesome man! For rounds like 44mag it's definitely worth it.
    Remember though, you don't save money, you just shoot more!

13. cja245

I shoot more AND I save A LOT of money. :manganr: My ammo budget for a month used to be like $350-400 bucks before I started casting and reloading.

I have my costs down to $42 per 1000 rds of whatever pistol cartridge i want to load. They all cost the same, you just have more powder left over with smaller cartridges.

I've actually almost stopped shooting my 22 LR guns because its basically the same price to shoot as my centerfire handguns.

I'm not sure if I can manage to shoot 8-9 thousand rounds in a month to get to the point where i'm not saving money :bwah:

14. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

You guys are a bunch of slobs... get your shit organized, like me.
    Feast your eyes on this! ( I know where everything is. )

[​IMG]

GEEZER and cja245 like this.
  15. cja245

this is how a real man utilizes counter space. :thumbsup:

El Gringo likes this.
  16. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Best one yet!

El Gringo likes this.
  17. SCRooster

SCRooster Little member

It is clear to me that you are not married. Mine used to look like that before I started my remodel out of necessity ... it was either clean-it-up or move out. She wasn't playing either. I stalled as long as I could and pleaded my case from every angle until she said, "what if you make a mistake because of that mess and blow us all to kingdom come?

She won, I lost. That's the way it usually goes - for me anyways.

18. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

I use a similar system to file "important" paperwork.

Ah, yes.....you are weak.

Either:

a) she somehow got out of the kitchen or

b) you were doing your shit in the kitchen.

19. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Love my 550B, I can't imagine loading the quantities I do now on my old Rock Chucker. I'd say 400 an hour is a reasonable number, given time to grab another box of slugs, load more primer tubes, refill the hopper, etc. Some hella-nice bench setups in here!

20. cja245

Here's some pics of a spur of the moment project I did a couple weeks ago. Problem is that casting bullets puts out some pretty nasty fumes from all the grease, dirt and what not on wheel weights and range lead, along with the smoke from fluxing. Previously I did my casting outdoors for obvious reasons. I live in WI, so winters get pretty god damn cold, so I was looking for a way to do this indoors before winter. If you are like me, shooting doesn't stop just because there is snow on the ground.

I was at Menards and I stopped at the ducting aisle and had a brilliant idea (or at least I thought so)

I ended up picking up a bunch of random ducting shit along with an 8'' in -line fan

Disclaimer** I am not a professional and I dont have a god damn clue how to properly install ducting. Also I did this in like 25 minutes.
    Any pointers are welcome, but don't hate :devilfinger:

Its certainly not a vacuum or a dust collector but it does a damn good job of sucking up any fumes / smoke and venting it out my basement window.

when i'm done casting, end of the duct just goes on top of the light fixture, out of the way.

This allows me to cast bullets in the comfort of my home with heat, proper seating, and close proximity to the keg fridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]