1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Pena Custom Vs Mid Tech

blaPsplaT Apr 14, 2021

1. blaPsplaT

blaPsplaT Little Member

Howdy devs,

I'm still so fucking amped on this site and have no idea how it took me so long to join but anyways....

Just ordered a Pena Mid Tech, what appeared to be the last one on bladehq. I'm curious about the Mid tech vs the custom models of the knife. I see a $500 difference but, specs look exactly the same except a hollow vs flat blade grind. I get that generally custom means just the designer made it himself whereas mid tech means that he only played a part in the production but, has anyone handled both and have any idea how different they handle or quality in production?

I get they are a bit on the heavy side, but I'm still pretty stoked to receive it. Anyways, just curious on how different the custom and the mid techs end up.

snache likes this.
  2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What is it?

3. blaPsplaT

blaPsplaT Little Member

Top attached pic is what I ordered $475 and the bottom ones $950 spec difference as described above

Attached Files:

4. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I just had a look on Bladehq website.

I've never seen anyone flipping one and don't know anyone who owns one... other than you lol.

The "custom" that I looked at on Bladehq had a Damascus blade which might explain the price difference.

5. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Got my hands on one at one point.

Definitely not designed with flipping in mind but you can get away with it for a bit. Very solid construction and good fit and finish. It was a mid tech I got the chance to mess with.

Generally a custom is fully built by the maker and a mod tech is factory made but assembled, tuned, or otherwise modified in some capacity by the maker.

The lines between the two blur often enough that it's sometimes not worth the distinction.

6. blaPsplaT

blaPsplaT Little Member

The "custom" that I looked at on Bladehq had a Damascus blade which might explain the price difference.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've seen the Damascus ones but that's not what I'm talking about. The difference between the two pics I posted is literally a hollow blade grind and also it looks like there's and additional screw by the locking mechanism so maybe there's a spring on it...? That is the only difference I can tell for the $950 custom. But yeah like I said I get that the designer only partially worked on these and personally I am 6' 6" with HUGE ass hands so I actually like this knife a lot. I got mine in the mail today and am posting pics below. The big indents at the bottom of the blade look bitchin and they also make some of those blade and safe handle sandwiches your finger spin tricks way easy and comfortable. Probably have to have pretty skinny fingers like me to fit though. I'd say it pretty legit for big handed people but the mic scales I got are slippppppppery af. Only thing I'm not completely stoked on. Still love it though and it just has such a sleek gentlemen look to it. A gentleman that will cut your fucking ear off for fucking with him but drive you to the hospital so your children don't grow up fatherless and contribute to the welfare problem look to it.

Attached Files: