1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I just purchased an uncoated ESEE 3 and have plans to do a black patina using hot apple cider vinegar.

My question Is, Should I Polish the blade or just leave as is before I patina. I've heard that polishing the steel before patina helps prevent rust a bit better in the long run.

So is it worth my time to polish the blade or just do the Patina on the knife as is.

This is not my first carbon knife so taking care of the blade is not an issue, i just think the black patina looks bad ass.

Any tips, tricks? this will be my first attempt at a Patina

Thanks!

2. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Little late to the party. Polishing would help with rust by making the blade smoother. Less places for particles to get trapped. Bead blast blades are rust magnets. Mirror polished blades will rust but usually with minimal cleaning this can be prevented. So polishing before patina is a good idea. You'll have a base oxide layer and you'll have a smooth surface that shouldn't hold much. The patina will work the same either way I've done patinas on mirror polished case knives and roughly finished machetes. Just make sure the blade is clean before the patina. Oil will stop a patina. Patinas are also easy to remove if you don't like the results steel wool or metal polish will do. It's a lot of fun to make designs on the blade too.