1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. David Kamaker

David Kamaker Little member

On Friday the 12th of October there is a new Palethius knife drop coming. I just wanted to know if it is worth for the price and how good of a knives they are. I heard mixed reviews about them. Some say it is too hyped or others say they are great flippers. What are your thoughts on it?

2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

the 12th (this friday) is not a drop. it's an auction.

his auctions have seen some very insane prices. i would not try to get involved unless you have plenty of extra money.

as for the drops, the knives are worth it simply because you can resell them with NO loss of investment. some people in fact have more than doubled their money or worse (yes worse, because buying them and instantly flipping them for profit is frowned upon when they are so fucking difficult to acquire).

there will be a drop of that model eventually though. he just hasn't set a date because they're aren't close enough to being finished yet.

as for the drop, you better be lightning quit with your instagram reflexes because it's all over in less than three seconds and the line of crybabies is HUGE. too many people will believe they got cheated. it's worse every time...

Ben., crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  3. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You may want to invest in upgrading your operating system if you want to improve your chances, lol

Mickeymouse likes this.
  4. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

What's dropping is actually a single knife - so if you're willing to overpay by around a thousand dollars or more auctioning against hardcore fanboys (as I myself have done in the past), then they're worth it. If you're made of money. Or somewhat made of money. When I won a particularly high auction, I found that a good justification for paying 3k for a 1k knife was that the extra 2k was to purchase the *opportunity* to flip this rare palethius for life, as opposed to simply overpaying for the materials and amazing workmanship. I don't regret it at all. But now all I eat is rice and beans and drink tap water. :D

Oh - and yes; they're great flippers. Even better than my full custom ELB ProFlipper.

Shawnjohn999999, Balibuyer and Ben. like this.
  5. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've had three (currently have 2) and they all flipped awesome.

It comes down to preference but I rate mine in my top 5 of all time.

In saying that, the 2K plus auction prices are ridiculous (even Pale will tell you that).

Unless you have a pile of cash like Scrooge McDuck buy direct and not secondary market or Auction.

Xmegaman, desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  6. David Kamaker

Oh okay thank you for the input. It is hard to find a knife that would flip great lasts long but it is also a good looking one for a decent price.

7. skyblue

Then you're not looking hard enough...

8. David Kamaker

Do you have any recommendations?

9. skyblue

Spend some time on this forum perusing the various threads that discuss all the different custom and production models available, learn the makers names, then start following and starting conversations with some of our esteemed JD brothers and sisters and a couple of the the famous flippers on Youtube and Instagram in order to get their honest opinions about the knives you're interested in. Be respectful, and you'll find that they are a wealth of knowledge and usually very helpful with dishing out information about how one knife stacks up against another. The hashtags jdba and balisongalliance should help you locate a few of them on social media. Remember that this is the golden age of balisongs, with excellent products currently coming out of the USA, France, Brazil, Japan, Italy, and China. Heck, even the Philippines might be back in the running once the Pandayan line returns! Purchase the best you can presently afford, then augment or upgrade from there. Always remember that this hobby is a process! In the end, after some trial and error, only you can determine whether a knife is worth its weight in gold or whether it's one that's grossly overrated. Good luck, and welcome to the best balisong forum in the world!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    benzen12, seandavid55 and HedaCoon like this.
  10. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

As I have own up to date a lot of palethius balis. There are definitely other balis out there that are great flippers and at a more reasonable price. I would recommend you studying up on the production stables like brs alpha beast (the latest version with slight thicker handles is more favored than older versions), brs replicant, hom basilisk r (scale version and full ti version, personally the scale variant is too boxy for me), squid industry has always been solid on his trainers and is about to release his first live blade ever....honestly there are just a lot to named. Even in midtech and custom categories are exploding like Stitched Steel, JL hellcats, Dante's concept, Fiore Knives, Hom maelstrom, etc. More and more people are coming in and dropping their own balis so there are always alternatives. At this point in time, it's more along the line of not having enough money versus just 2 or 3 years ago, you can probably count on 1 hand the amount of flipper lines that were available and not discontinued.

11. David Kamaker

Thank you for everyone’s input, it has been very helpful. I really appreciate it!

desmodus likes this.
  12. skyblue

Exactly what Nickly said!! There's really no need to pay crazy auction prices for a Pale (unless you really MUST have one for bragging rights) when there are SO many other makes available from the makers she mentioned at a price point that you'd be comfortable paying.

13. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

If you got money to piss away, go for it.

The auctions usually go crazy high and you'd most likely have to sell the the knife at a loss if you ever did want to sell it.
    People paying those auction prices just want it that bad.

His work is awesome just like many others out there like BB and Terry Guinn but i'd honestly wait for another actual drop of his and score his work for his usual asking price ($600-$900) and not thousands.

Ultimately it's your money, do as you want.

14. subtlemovement

BB's next round of balisongs are starting at 1800 actually :D I'm on the list....RIP wallet

Also OP, I would also say that at the end of the day the newest-gen alpha beasts are the most similar (flipping and balance-wise) production knife to a Palethius, so consider getting one of those and seeing how you like it before blowing mad stacks on a Pale :)

David Kamaker likes this.
  15. Organ Grinder

Organ Grinder Little Member

Look like last nights only went for 1440$. 1000$ cheaper than the previous couple.

16. fogcreature

fogcreature JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I love watching those. I nope out over 1k but it’s still good cheap entertainment. His knives are flat out badass and worth it just too rich for my current funds

17. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

It seems like a lot of people forgot about last night's auction. Even palethius himself with it starting an hour later than scheduled time, lol. It has been a while since his auction dip under 1500. Closest I remember to that price range was the faulty ronin with the blade off center a bit

Ben. likes this.
  18. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Details man. How much did it go for? How many bids? Picture of the knife?

***Why is there no picture of the knife in this post?

19. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You have to pay to post pictures of his Bali now.

20. subtlemovement

I think Nicky's right; I forgot about the auction too lol. Totally would have shelled out 1.5k for that piece. Oh well :D