1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. B_churchill

B_churchill Little Member

Hey JD!
    Im a total newbie to OTF knives but I would like to buy one. However right now I don't have much money to spend- so I plan to buy it in month or two.
    Do you guys have some advice for me ? Like knifes that are worth buying
    It would be much appreciated if you could recommend me a knife.
    I'm planning to spend around 200$ - maybe 300$.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Microtech UTX-85. Single Edge/Non Serrated

3. B_churchill

Thanks ! I bet its pretty good EDC am I right ?

4. Atheos

Atheos Average member JDBA Official Member

i really like ultratechs, and especially shopping used you can get one around 200 or maybe a little less if well used. I think any of the double action microtechs make for fine EDC blades.

5. B_churchill

Great! Do you have any specific model to recommend ?

6. gzb

IMO, it's just the right size for a first time DA OTF EDC. The slightly over 3" blade can work well for most EDC tasks.
    And the action is a little easier to manage for someone who's not used to one.

Again, just my opinion mind you. But I've carried/collected DA OTF's for over 16 years now and know a little about them in real life...

AJD1 likes this.
  7. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i'd bet anything i have that you know MORE than microtech.

Dirtee-Dee and BennytheBlade like this.
  8. B_churchill

Okey i'll check it out- thanks one more time

9. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Ultratechs come in such a wide variety, you can pick what you want. Bayonet blade, double edged, tanto, etc. Serrated, partly serrated, or my preference, NON-serrated. Various handle colors and materials.

Shit son, just find the one that catches YOUR fancy and go for it. :sosak:

AJD1 and Atheos like this.
  10. gzb

A side by side comparison for size:

[​IMG]

As far as EDC goes, Bigger doesn't necessarily mean Better for many folks as far as actually using the knife...

11. B_churchill

Thanks guys !

12. raymond454

raymond454 Little member

Depends on what you want to use it for.
    - Actual cutting chores? What kind of material?
    - Handling, admiring, showing off, but no real cutting application.
    - Learn how to care for and maintain a quality OTF knife. They are different from other autos.
    Spend $35 on a Lightning OTF first. It is the best, cheap model out there. It can be your user while your better OTF is protected from keychains, pocket change lint, dirt and other nasties.
    I have an Ultratech, Exec Scarab and Combat Troodon. The first 2 are perfect size. The CT is a beast which I eventually sold. It's the Desert Eagle (pistol) of OTF knives.
    Read everything Moderator gzb has posted about OTF's

desmodus likes this.
  13. B_churchill

I was planning to use it for mostly EDC reasons but now I'm not really sure about it. I really like the way they work and also Otf's are beautiful.

14. raymond454

raymond454 Little member

That's why I like the Lightning as a beater so you can preserve the better knife. It also serves as a point of reference so you can really appreciate the quality and build of the better knife. I keep saying "better knife". You'll see what I mean if/when you pick up an Ultratech which would be my choice in your price range.

15. B_churchill

- actually it's a good idea, I'll check it out thanks!

16. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Huge member

I have a few. The Troodon single edge is my favorite for EDC. The double edge blades look cool, but are for stabbing and I use mine to cut stuff.

17. B_churchill

Just few days ago i ordered one of these lightning OTF so hopefully soon I will be able to check it out in action.

18. B_churchill

But aren't Troodons huge ? I mean they look massive

19. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Nope. Troodons are smaller that Ultratechs. COMBAT Troodons are much larger though.

See post #10 for the size comparison.

20. B_churchill

Oh you're right I was thinking about combat Troodons. But non combat seems to be pretty handy