1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Options for flipper's modern channeled Ti bali...

Joker188 May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM

Tags:
  1. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Yeah, the good news is you have a lot of choices these days, the bad news, you usually have to pick only ONE.

2. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

true

when i look at my horrible self in the reflection off my hellcat i know it’s because i asked JL to polish it as much as possible and he said sure

BennytheBlade and Joker188 like this.
  3. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Little member JDBA Official Member

No doubt JL makes some killer balis, can't go wrong with a Hellcat. Definately better ways to spend your money if you don't need channel ti, but if he's anything like me, even the MTRX-2 won't do :helix:

4. apdallaround

the mtrx 1 is *pretty handle light

id have sold it if it wasnt for another reason

whats up with the mtrx 2?

5. Klyuchak

If's pretty damn light, but still a slight handle bias away from true neutral, I really like it. Not quite as neutral as my Monarch, can still maintain a fan without much effort or input, whereas the Monarch is so balanced it will stall out from the smallest little thing (though also goes into the fan better and requires less input). I know the tanto is also heavier than the bowie. But havn't tried the regualr mtrx or tanto myself. With the MTRX-2 + Weights + Bowie it feels simular to my custom tach, maybe a hair less handle bias.

apdallaround and Joker188 like this.
  6. Klyuchak

Speaking of many to consider, here are even more :helix:

- Not sure how I forgot about the Camerer Continuum Midtech. The earlier 1.0s came with bearings and a more plain looking blade, and he recently released the 1.1 that has bushings and a recurved blade. Havn't had a chance to try the 1.1, but tried out one of the 1.0s. Pretty sweet little bali for $450 retail. A little bit on the shorter side like the 42, and the handles have a "flat" rectangular feel that I really dig. Good balance on it too. Only sold mine because I'm waiting to get a full custom from Craig.

- Piranha Swinger is also a new one that got released recently. Havn't had a chance to handle it, but seems interesting, though it doesn't seem too flipper orientated. Quality seems to be there if you like the style though, and it's the cheapest US made channel ti live blade since the 42, $390. Comes in aluminum too for $230, but it's a pinless design, and I'm not so sure the aluminum will hold up.

- Vyce knives F117 have been going around for a while too, havn't handled one yet. Can't say much about it, but seems like a really good price to performance ratio.

- Hypex Graviton, seems like a solid flipper, havn't heard too much about it yet

- The Snody Highroller is also an option, especially if you have bigger hands or just want longer than usual handles.

Going internationally, and keep in mind support will be limited for these if somthing goes wrong, so don't really recommend them, but they're also options.

- Ryworx from Japan is also working on the GA channel ti balisong, should be coming out soon. He is well known for his quality work.

- The Dants Concept Symphony out of Belgium(I think?) is also really cool, has a really innovative self retracting latch.

- Atropos from Russia has a bunch of different channel ti models, you can get pretty much any blade shape he makes, with any handle type or size he makes if you ask. Really cheap for what you're getting. They also make a channel ti balisword :bluedevil:

- Finally there is MaxAce/Midnightcat Studios out of China. They have the Pelican and Petrel. Pelican is kinda meh, and the styling is love or hate, but they're pretty cheap, and come with bearings. The Petrel is a nicer option imo, and comes with bearings or bushings, still pretty budget friendly. Petrel has sandwich version too, so you have to look for the right combo of chan/sand and bearing/bushing.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 11:00 PM
  7. apdallaround

i forgot about the atropos. cheap and seemed like it was not milled level. hopefully stuff got better.

what about that jimpy guy? doesnt he have some channel model he did or was working on?

otherwise im going to duck duck go some of the others you mentioned. never heard of the piranha, hypex or vyce. thanks

Klyuchak likes this.
  8. Klyuchak

Ahh yeah, hes got the Sentinel Proto, could be a solid option, should be taking pre-orders soon for them.

9. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

logan-ref-4490-PB-13_compress28.jpg 92280318_4282868591726984_3152613387406666713_n_compress18.jpg
    In the fiore Logan pictured top, the flat edge is the leading edge. Is there a term for the 'relief' area of the leading edge near the pivots. I see the same shape on the Hammer Designs Chaos. I've noticed it on a couple Jason Lyons knives and BB as well. It looks like this design element would be more comfortable.

I shake my head every time I get nipped by a Hom horn...it slows me down.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Klyuchak and apdallaround like this.
  10. apdallaround

11. Klyuchak

The round cutout right before the edge starts? That's called a finger choil. When done right, I like them a lot, gives you a nice landing area on the bite handle. Plus I tend to like having a choil in general, so nice to get some more funtionality out of it. But if it's too small, can end up being even worse than an edge because the corner of the edge can stab you pretty good.

Talisong pro has no choil, but uses a sort of "kicker" design to give the same landing area, I really dig it. Plus no sharp corner to worry about if you have bigger fingers.

12. Klyuchak

Here are some pics of the F117, grade 5 Ti and 440c blade, bottom is the V2 he's working on.

BladeHQ also had the Titanium Swingers, by the time I saw them they were out of stock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM
  13. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

I notice the Bas R horns most often transitioning from a roll to a chaplin. The horn seems counter intuitive to me. The only use I can imagine for them is that they're there as a hilt??

The above pics look nice. Is that the talisong?

14. Klyuchak

Yeah, most people don't like horns for flipping. I personally don't mind them, but yeah, they are basically just a hilt. But when designed right horns really shouldn't bother you. Hornless can be done wrong too, and can cause a lot of pinching.

Pics above the the F117 I mentioned earlier. The Talisong Flipper V1 is the top right one in my first collection photo, says "Talisong FL" on the blade. This is the Talisong Pro next to my Monarch
    [​IMG]

15. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Thank you

apdallaround likes this.
  16. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

choil?

Joker188 likes this.
  17. apdallaround

this is true
    [​IMG]

BennytheBlade likes this.
  18. apdallaround

was the 87 forgotten?

or doesn’t even rank?

get the hint BM?

Klyuchak and Joker188 like this.
  19. apdallaround

motivated to carry the lless channel ab today
    [​IMG]

Klyuchak and Joker188 like this.
  20. apdallaround

beautiful day here in pa. the complex simplicity of the channel. remembering back to my ab2.0 ‘14 it seemed the channel balisong as a standard option would never happen. it was ‘expensive’ and people won’t pay it. 6 years later and look at all the options. its pretty damn amazing. people all over the world love flipping balisongs and look what they are making.
    i am just enjoying mine on this beautiful day

Joker188 and Klyuchak like this.