1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the Viper Keeper

dominico Jun 30, 2017

1. dominico

dominico Little Member

Partially because I was looking for a waveable flipper with deep pocket carry clip (this meets all three of those criteria), and partially because I have an unabashed bias toward all things Italian, I stumbled across, and then purchased, a Viper Keeper.

I've actually not seen a lot of stuff on JD regarding Viper knives, even though they seem to make some good ones. I'm thinking of picking up both an Italo (designed by Silvestrelli, the same guy who designed this keeper) and the Fortis, designed by Jesper Voxnaes. I'm wondering if they just aren't that popular in the States or if there is something about Viper that I don't know about.

At any rate, here is the Keeper, I haven't really had the chance to put it through its paces yet, but it is a sharp, D2 blade, micarta handle, and I like the way that the "horns", while they look like they could be there just for aesthetics, actually serve as the way to open the knife, one side being a "flipper" and the other a "wave".

I just wish it were M390 like the Italo. I contemplated the Ziricote wood handled version with N690 steel, were I to make this purchase again I probably would have gone that route.

At any rate, has anyone acually used one of these (or any Viper knife in general) as an edc?
    20170628_201158.jpg 20170628_201206.jpg 20170628_201228.jpg

Lapedog, stdlrf11 and begreen61 like this.
  2. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I like that, where did you find it? Now for the scary question, what did it set you back?

Lapedog likes this.
  3. dominico

dominico Little Member

I picked it up from collectorknives.net, but they do sell them at BladeHQ and Knifecenter as well. Set me back about a hundred bucks.

Lapedog likes this.
  4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Not popular would be my guess. Why? Not sure. D2 isn't to popular unless it's on a Dozier.

Lapedog likes this.
  5. dominico

dominico Little Member

Certainly in the US D2 is not that popular, although this is actually my 4th D2 knife, the other 3 are benchmades.

Lapedog likes this.
  6. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Very interesting.

I'm going to look into them.

Lapedog likes this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

I have only handled one in my local knife store. I liked the knife alot. I love its unique design. I also like knives like this that have the folding double guard because as was pointed out it can be used as a wave and a flipper.

Now the problem with the example I handled at my local store was that there was lock slip, so pushing on the spine of the open blade caused the lock to slip over to the left.

The other problem I had with the knife is the locking liner seemed abit thin for the knife. I am not sure and haven't heard any stories of it being an issue. Just based on what I am used to seeing I thought the locking liner looked abit thin.

stdlrf11 likes this.
  8. BennytheBlade

The italo and fortis look nice as well. M390 and frame lock. >3" blade. I'll have to look at some reviews.

9. dominico

dominico Little Member

[​IMG] Yeah, I originally went into this looking for a framelock as well.

The Italo seems to have it all: titanium framelock, high end steel, flipper, wave, and deep pocket carry. But I'll be darned if I'm just not attracted to that blade shape. The Fortis is great materials too, also framelock, looks like a modern tac folder, just can't be waved.

I went with the keeper because I like the blade profile and it had the other stuff going for it, but I wasn't roo keen on the liner lock, so that's good feedback. Here is a photo of the liner lock on mine. It does not slide when I push on the spine, so that is good. Since I'm not too familiar with liner locks I'm not sure if this is sufficient or not. Maybe I should get an Italo as well and entertain getting the blade reground. Hopefully that wouldn't mess up the "ensemble" of that knife.

10. BennytheBlade

That looks like too much travel in the liner to me.

zephyr05 likes this.
  11. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

Agreed.

The dimensions of the knife are not what I prefer. I have small hands so prefer a small handle. That looks like a really big beefy handle which is ok if that is what you like but would be too big for me.

I have no problems with D2 if it is done right.

I hate wire pocket clips. Those need to go away.

12. dominico

dominico Little Member

How much travel should there be?

13. BennytheBlade

Ideally, for me at least, you would want the edge of the liner hanging off the shoulder of the blade. Not a lot, maybe a mm. With your current set up, under extreme pressure, the liner can bow easier and lead to lock failure. You definitely don't want the liner at the halfway point Of the lock surface of the blade.

14. BennytheBlade

1498888609545.jpeg
    This one is pretty good, imo

desmodus likes this.
  15. C-Bear

C-Bear Brigade Member Brigade Member

I don't know anything about that knife, however are you at an Illy café? Cause I LOVE their espresso... and I think I recognized their logo, upside down, and blurry from the first photo... Is that bad?

dominico likes this.
  16. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

I disagree about the liner travel being too far. A well designed liner or frame lock is supposed to offer decent security all through its arc of travel. If anything I think that a linerlock that has some of the lockface "hanging" off engagement with the shoulder of the tang is more likely too slip off, and I certainly think pressure to the spine that would cause the lock to bow would cause a not fully engaged linerlock to slip off the tang. Infact properly designed liner locks are designed to bow and wedge the blade open as a failsafe. As long as the lock doesn't slip that's the main thing.

In my opinion the reason so many people like "early" lockup is because it means the lock has a lot of life left in it as the lock will wear in with age. Actually I have heard that a fully engaged liner lock is the "sweet spot" and offers the best lockup.

This is all of course just what I have heard, I haven't destructive tested my liner locks.

The Viper Fortis is a nice knife, the examples I handled had a weak flipping action due to weak detent. Still a gorgeous knife. The Italo looks awsome to me, I love the wave on it, looks like it will be gentle on pockets. The best wave on any knife is still the peg wave on the Spyderco Pikal, and it's removable. More knives should come with a removable peg wave.

17. dominico

dominico Little Member

Heh, that is indeed the Illy logo, but no, I didn't just whip my knife out behind the counter of a busy cafe! I actually took these photos at home. I have a large vintage espresso machine in my kitchen area, and I pull a lot of shots with it. I have a few sets of Illy espresso mugs but ever since I started roasting my own coffee I really haven't been drinking much Illy, even though it is pretty decent, you can easily do worse.

This discussion about liner lock location is very interesting, I guess I'll just use it for a while and see how it hold up.

The Fortis has a weak flipping action? What do you mean by that, do you have to help it with a wrist flick? I suppose it would be easy to add a wave to by grinding off some of the spine over the thumb hole.

As for the Spyderco P' Kal, great practical knife, the peg is a great innovation, why does Spyderco make such ugly knives!?

18. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

I like the Pikal, I think it beautiful. It is my favourite urban self defense folder.

The Fortis has a weak detent, by that I mean when you hit the flipper tab the knife will sometimes open prematurely to building up enough force to launch the blade fully open. This means you have to pull the flipper tab harder to compensate for the weak detent. It's not a big deal at all.

Basically the weak detent means the flipping action isn't perfect like on so many ZT knives. On the ZTs becaise of the strong detent by the time you push the flipper tab hard enough to overcome the detent the blade has enough force to lock open almost every time.

dominico likes this.
  19. BennytheBlade

A flipper, imo, should not need a strong detente to open the blade of a flipper. If a flipper is done right, you don't have to "cover up" the lack of good action w/ a Death Star detente. Not knocking ZT, they do it right most of the time. Just seen too many "great" custom flippers w/ shitty action covered up by a detente that Hercules would have problems w/.

20. dominico

dominico Little Member

Well, I just found out a Viper Hinderer collab is due to drop this month, I guess I know what my next knife purchase is going to be.