1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed

Jds Feb 23, 2017

1. Jds

Jds Little Member

hey
    I recently decided I can't live without flipping a balisong. The only problem I'm having is that I'm not sure where to start. I found a trainer from some guy on Craigslist and picked it up because I'm ridiculously impatient. Been flipping it for a few days and confirmed I need a top notch, American made, bad ass knife. Through my research, I've landed on the unavailable BRS replicant. Being as impatient as I am, I'm looking at the alpha beast.

My question is this...
    Should I be starting with a specific benchmade? Are the microtechs any good for flipping? Is the alpha beast more knife than I'm ready for? Do I want a new one or should I be finding someone's bruised up hand me down?

Yeah, that covers it. Thanks!

2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm new myself and looking back I should have bought the AB sooner and skipped a couple others.
    It's not more knife than your ready for. I think it's a good tough bali. Beater or used, up to really.

3. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Dear God...save me......

ENGRISH, crogers and desmodus like this.
  4. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

couple days....well if you want to start with a bang and money is not a problem then yeah get a BRS bali. As they usually have no problem resale on 2nd market if you decide against it after flipping some more. Since you haven't really handle any and haven't build any preferences, then barebones, rep or ab will be an amazing starter. Just get a 2nd hand one. Don't buy new as you'll probably bang it up and drop it beyond recognition while learning. RIP tip :firedevil

crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  5. Jds

Jds Little Member

Good deal. Thanks for your help guys. Not you Linos. You didn't help. But thanks for stoppin by!
    Now, where will I find a used alpha beast... hmmm. $20 says I'm too impatient and buy a new one. I saw a guy had a custom one for sale on here. Said the mods made it handle heavy. Maybe not a good one?

6. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Custom BRS?
    dear God save me... X10

crogers likes this.
  7. Jds

Jds Little Member

Lol. Yer killin me! Kinda sounds like you have something to say but you want me to beg for your opinion. That's fine. Ill beg. Whatcha got?

8. Jacob Gray

Jacob Gray Tiny Member

Any secondhand BRS is gonna set you back the same if not MORE than the MSRP in most cases due to the unavailability of their bali's. They're great knives though if you don't mind a bit heavier of a bali. Definitely a great starter.
    I usually find plenty of good deals on Benchmade 51's here on voodoo. Not an ideal flipper but certainly not a bad one either. Fantastic EDC Bali. You can usually find one for around $150-$180 in used but good condition.

9. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

For someone who doesn't have a defined style the rep is the best choice. If you are set on a rollover based style then the alpha beast is the best choice. If ricochets and twirls are more your game then a 42 is the absolute best out there. Of course there are other options but these three are generally regarded as best in their respective territory. Now that said, any of those three mentioned and more can be flipped anyway you like if you have the skill.

10. Jds

Jds Little Member

Well thanks again for the input. Again, not you Linos. You're still no help. I'm still leaning toward the alpha beast but I'm going to hit the gun show Saturday and hopefully get something in hand so I've got something to compare to.

The good news is that I cut the shit out of myself earlier with a can lol. This is gonna be awesome! There will be blood

XamaX likes this.
  11. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

do not buy a modded anything.

the 51 is great but not the best to learn with (it was one of my first).

used is cool but you don't want something beaten to shit.

if you are buying at gun shows it's very possible to come home with a fake. go ahead and play around with them to see how they feel, but you're going to have a hard time knowing it's real, real time. if you're there long enough you could take pictures and post them here so we can laugh at you compare and give you feedback.

12. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Elaborate

13. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Just about all of the knives that are getting modded right now were finished products. They were well designed flippers balanced to perform as such. As soon as you start removing material from them they lose that balance. They may look cool, but they're no longer well balanced flippers.

You said you wanted to flip.

If you want something you think looks cool, you don't need anybody here to tell you what to buy. You get what you want and can afford.

If you want a flipper, you get something that has been proven to flip well.

wcjohn and seandavid55 like this.
  14. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

I agree, if you're just starting, get a stock version. Don't buy any modded balis. After building your preferences on heavy vs. light, neutral vs. rear/blade biased, which tricks you do more often, etc. then you will be more informed on how modifications affect the balis. By then, hopefully you'll also be more informed about which modders to avoid at all cost lol. As anybody can call themselves modder nowaday, including bunch of 14-15 years old kids

KaliSong and ENGRISH like this.
  15. Jds

Jds Little Member

Roger...that. It makes sense that you wouldn't want to mess with the balance. Or the hillbilly with a bucket of knives at the gun show lol. These brs knives are tough to track down. I know I'm not going to find one at the gun show. The AB infinity is sitting on bhq...but that makes me wonder why. Either the flippers don't need a new version of the beast, or they don't like the changes that were made. I'm gonna dig into it. If anyone has one/flipped one I'd love to know what you think

16. desmodus

Everybody I've seen talk about it says it's awesome.

A few people have taken the clip off but I would do the same and don't consider that a mod.

17. fogcreature

fogcreature JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I started with a barebones, no trainer. as a knife lover I knew going in that id be cut. I love the barebones but don't have the experience with benchmades to make a good recommendation. its a lot heavier than the replicant and the alpha beast which translates well to other knives.

18. Jds

Jds Little Member

I pretty much decided I'm going to hit the gun show today then just order the AB Infinity. if I don't like it, I'll find another one. It's too bad the ti tachIII is $700 because I really like it but the aluminum model isn't doin it for me. I'm pretty sure the AB infinity is going to fit just fine being that the only one I've ever played with is this crappy fake benchmade trainer that is so lame that China didn't even want to stamp it.

Thanks again for the input everyone. This is gonna be awesome! My wife said this whole flipping thing is retarded. I told her to back off or I'd move straight into loaded pistol flipping. I wonder if that's a thing... sketchy

19. purpledc

purpledc purple or blue, depends on the strength of your gr Brigade Member

Any time a previous significant other tried to berate any of my hobbies whether it be knives or guitar I usually only had to mention three words in any random order and they shut up pretty quickly. Shoes, purses and makeup.

wcjohn likes this.
  20. ThePourBoy

ThePourBoy Little Member

If money isn't an option the av won't disappoint, I personally prefer the Replicant for flipping but the feel of the beast of fully satisfying. The 51 is also a favorite for basic fast flipping but I can't compare it to a BRS.