1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

On this day, the daily facts thread

zorro Jul 15, 2014

1. zorro

zorro The pointy end goes into the other man Brigade Member

Spread the love where I could. :manganr:

crogers likes this.
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

On this day in 1860, Annie Oakley, one of the greatest female sharpshooters in American history, is born in Patterson Township, Ohio.

Passed out them greens. Hope ya got ya some.

Back tomorrow. :thumbsup:

3. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

August 13th: On this Day
    1952, The original version of 'Hound Dog' was recorded by Willie Mae (Big Mama) Thornton. It would become the first hit for the song-writing team of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and went on to top the Billboard R&B chart for seven weeks, selling nearly two million copies.
    1964, Manfred Mann were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy', the bands first of three UK No.1's. The song which was written by Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich was originally recorded in 1963 by the American vocal group The Exciters.
    1964, The Supremes recorded 'Baby Love', written and produced by Motown's main production team Holland–Dozier–Holland, the song went on to be the group's first UK No.1 and second US chart topper. It was also the second of five Supremes songs in a row to go to No.1 in the United States.
    1965, Jefferson Airplane made their live debut at San Francisco's Matrix Club. The photograph of the members of Jefferson Airplane that was featured on the front cover of their best-known album, Surrealistic Pillow (1967), was taken inside the Matrix.
    1965, Mike Smith, lead singer of The Dave Clark Five, suffered two broken ribs when he was pulled off the stage by fans. The group were in Chicago at the beginning of a US tour.
    1965, The Beatles arrived at Kennedy International Airport for a tour of North America. The set list for the tour was ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's in Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, ‘I'm Down’ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man.’ The tour was not a happy one for The Beatles, John Lennon took to screaming off-microphone obscenities at the audiences.
    1966, Lovin Spoonful started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Summer In The City', it made No.8 in the UK. The song features a series of car horns during the instrumental bridge, starting with a Volkswagen Beetle horn, and ends up with a jackhammer sound, in order to give the impression of the sounds of the summer in the city.
    1966, 'Revolver' The Beatles seventh album release in three years started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK charts. It spent a total of 34 week's on the UK chart and was also a US No.1. The title "Revolver", like "Rubber Soul" before it, is a pun, referring both to a kind of handgun as well as the "revolving" motion of the record as it is played on a turntable.
    [more]
    1967, Fleetwood Mac made their live debut when they appeared at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor. Also on the bill Jeff Beck, Cream, Small Faces, The Move, The Pink Floyd, Donovan and Chicken Shack. More on Jeff Beck
    [more]
    1971, Saxophonist King Curtis Ousley was stabbed to death by a vagrant on the front steps of his New York home. Ousley had worked with John Lennon and also played on The Coasters 'Yakety Yak'.
    1971, John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.
    [more]
    1971, Pink Floyd played their first ever-Australian date when they appeared at the Festival Hall in Melbourne. The group, who were on an Asia Pacific tour, played just one other date in Australia - Sydney, two nights later.
    1977, Yes scored their second UK No.1 album with their eighth studio album'Going For The One'. The album marked the return of keyboardist Rick Wakeman, who departed in 1974 over musical differences.
    [more]
    1980, Four masked robbers broke in to Todd Rundgren's New York house and proceeded to steal Hi-Fi equipment and paintings after tying the musician up. It was reported that one of the intruders had been humming his hit 'I Saw The Light'.
    1982, American soul singer Joe Tex died at his home in Navasota, Texas, following a heart attack, just five days after his 49th birthday. Had nine US Top 40 hits including the 1972 US No.2 single 'I Gotcha'.
    1982, Major American record companies including CBS Atlantic and Warner Brothers all made staff cut-backs as the industry plunged into 'the worst shape in its history'.
    1983, KC and the Sunshine Band were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Give It Up'. The American disco group's only UK chart topper spent three weeks at No.1
    1992, Neil Diamond played the first of six sold-out nights at Madison Square Garden in New York. Diamond would bring in over $40 million from touring this year, the second highest in the music industry.
    1994, Members from Oasis and The Verve were arrested after smashing up a hotel bar and breaking into a church to steal communion wine. Both bands had been appearing at Hulsfred Festival in Sweden. More on Oasis
    1994, Woodstock '94 was held in Saugerties, New York, attended by over 350,000 fans, the festival featured Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Aerosmith and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Tickets cost $135.00, (£89.00).
    [more]
    1999, Ex Guns N' Roses member Slash was arrested accused of assaulting his girlfriend at his Sunset Boulevard recording studio by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies. He was released on bail. More on Guns N' Roses
    1999, Mick Jagger's marriage to model Jerry Hall was been declared null and void at the High Court in London. Neither Jagger nor Hall were present for the 30-minute hearing before Mr Justice Connell. After hearing evidence on behalf of Hall the judge ruled their "marriage" in Bali in 1990 was not valid either in Indonesia or under English law, and a decree of nullity was granted to Hall. The annulment avoided what had been expected to be a long and costly court battle, in which Ms Hall, 43, was reportedly seeking a £30m share of Jagger's wealth.
    2002, Adam Ant pleaded guilty to threatening drinkers at The Prince Of Wales Pub in London in January of this year. The former 1980's pop star had returned to the bar with a starting pistol after being refused entry. He had also thrown a car alternator through the window of the pub.
    [more]
    2004, 'Angels' by Robbie Williams was voted the best single which should have been a number one but never was, in a poll for music channel VH1. The ballad, which reached No.4 in December 1997, beat Savage Garden's ‘Truly, Madly, Deeply’ and Aerosmith's 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.' Other songs said to have deserved a number one included Madonna with ‘Ray of Light’, ‘Beautiful Stranger’, ‘Crazy For You’ and ‘Material Girl’, Bon Jovi with ‘Always’ and Oasis with ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘Live Forever’. Sir Cliff Richard's hit 'Millennium Prayer' was voted the worst number one single of all time.
    [more]
    2007, Amy Winehouse pulled out of two Rolling Stones gigs in Hamburg Germany citing exhaustion, British group Starsailor replaced Winehouse for the shows.
    [more]
    2009, Guitarist Les Paul died in hospital in White Plains, New York at the age of 94 suffering from severe pneumonia. Paul is credited with developing one of the first solid-body electric guitars, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock. He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing. In the early 50s, Paul and his wife Mary Ford had a string of hits including 'Mockin' Bird Hill', 'How High the Moon', and 'Vaya Con Dios'.
    2013, Jon Brookes, the drummer with The Charlatans died aged 44. He had suffered a seizure on tour with the band in 2010 and had been receiving treatment for a brain tumour. Another original band member, keyboardist Rob Collins, died in a car accident in 1996.
    August 13th: Born on this day
    1940, Born on this day, John Stokes, The Bachelors, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Diane', plus 16 other UK Top 40 singles).
    [more]
    1949, Born on this day, Cliff Fish, bass, Paper Lace, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', 1974 US No.1 single 'The Night Chicago Died').
    1951, Born on this day, Dan Fogelberg, US singer songwriter, (1979 album 'Phoenix'). Worked with Joe Walsh, Jackson Browne, Randy Newman. Fogelberg died on 16th Dec 2007 at his home in Maine at the age of 56 of prostate cancer.
    1958, Born on this day, Feargal Sharkey, singer, The Undertones, (1980 UK No.9 single 'My Perfect Cousin'). Solo, (1985 UK No.1 single 'A Good Heart', a song written by Maria Mckee).
    1959, Born on this day, Mark Nevin, singer, songwriter, Fairground Attraction, (1988 UK No.1 single 'Perfect').
    1959, Born on this day, Michael Bradley, bass, The Undertones, (1980 UK No.9 single 'My Perfect Cousin').
    1959, Born on this day, Danny Bonaduce, The Partridge Family, (1970 US No.1 single 'I Think I Love You', 1972 UK No.3 single 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do'). Star of VH1 show ‘My Reality Breakdown.’
    1982, Born on this day, LeAnn Rimes, US singer, (1997 US No.3 & 1998 UK No.7 single, 'How Do I Live' spent 30 weeks on the UK top 40 singles chart the first record, to do so since 'Relax' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood).
    1984, Born on this day, Diamond Blue Smith, singer, Pretty Ricky, (2007 US No.1 album ‘Late Night Special’).
    1984, Born on this day, James Morrison, UK singer, songwriter, and guitarist, (2006 UK No.1 album 'Undiscovered').
    [more]

Rosie :devilwag:
    not able to post every day as yet. Thank you for the greens given although I have had to go outside the box to give them, guess we need more posters if possible.

hienho likes this.
  4. crogers

On this day in 1945, an official announcement of Japan's unconditional surrender to the Allies is made public to the Japanese people.

Even though the Emperor had agreed to the surrender on August 10th. Fighting continued for several days.

Greens issued as required. Not many on this thread though. So spent them elsewhere.

Laters! :thumbsup:

5. GAMBIT

GAMBIT The Protector of the Pro-Tech Brigade Member

On this day:

1985 : Three years after their duet "The Girl Is Mine," Paul McCartney advises Michael Jackson to invest in publishing. Jackson makes a winning bid of $47.5 million for the rights to over 250 Lennon-McCartney Beatles songs owned by ATV publishing, which turns out to be a great investment, but kills their friendship.

1975 : Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play the first of five sold-out shows at The Bottom Line in New York City. The shows help establish Springsteen as a great live performer and draw national attention.

1995 : Grateful Dead meet and decide to break up after the recent tragedy of founder/leader Jerry Garcia's death.

2012 : John Geils, former guitarist for the semi-retired J. Geils Band, files suit against the other band members to stop them from touring under his name... since he's left the band. The irony stings like bleach in a wound! Despite this move, the remaining members of the band say they'll tour anyway.

1941 : Folk rocker David Crosby (of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) is born in Los Angeles, California.

1946 : Bass guitarist Larry Graham (of Sly and the Family Stone) is born in Beaumont, Texas.

1991 : Tony Orlando and his wife Francine become the proud parents of their first child, Jenny Rose.

1970 : Elvis Presley's "The Wonder Of You" is certified gold.

1965 : Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" hits #1.

1969 : It's the day before Woodstock, and thousands of people show up early and camp out.

2013 : Allen Lanier (keyboardist/rhythm guitarist for Blue Oyster Cult) dies of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (C.O.P.D) in Manhattan, New York, at age 67.

1981 : Four years after his untimely death, a Memphis judge rules that Elvis Presley's estate is no longer financially beholden to his manager, "Colonel" Tom Parker.

hienho, zorro and crogers like this.
  6. zorro

On this day............

In 1248 - The rebuilding of the Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany, began after being destroyed by fire.
    :jackhammer:

1880 - The Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany was completed after 632 years of rebuilding.
    :Celebration: :manganr:

1896 - Gold was discovered in Canada's Yukon Territory. Within the next year more than 30,000 people rushed to the area to look for gold.
    :woohooyes:

1900 - An international force, consisting of eight nations, lifted the siege of Peking. It was the end to the Boxer Rebellion, which was aimed at purging China of foreigners.
    :pugalist: :rimshot: :)

1953 - The wiffle ball was invented.
    :devilzide

And on this day I am packing my kit ready for a long weekends camping trip.
    :camping::outdoors::drinkingdevils::treehugger::bbq::drunkards:

Have a great weekend Devils, catch you later. :jdwink2:

crogers and hienho like this.
  7. crogers

On this day in 1969, the Woodstock Music Festival opens on a patch of farmland in White Lake, a hamlet in the upstate New York town of Bethel.

And music has NEVER been the same!!

Back later for the greens!

hienho likes this.
  8. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

On this day:

[TABLE="width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]1965[/TD]
    [TD]The Beatles set a record for having the largest single crowd at a concert at Shea Stadium in New York. Attendance was 56,000.
    :band:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1975[/TD]
    [TD]Led Zeppelin's album "In Through the Out Door" was released. This was the last album released by the band prior to the death of John Bonham.
    :drumsolo::guitar:

[video=youtube_share;tAaJdF1XBaM]http://youtu.be/tAaJdF1XBaM?list=PL9043FF483993B308[/video][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    zorro, GEEZER, begreen61 and 2 others like this.
  9. Kelper

Music History for

August 15

Today's: Misc. history - Famous birthdays

1875 - Composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor was born.

1890 - Composer Jacques Ibert was born.

1939 - "The Wizard of Oz" premiered in Hollywood, CA. Judy Garland became famous for the movie's song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

1941 - "Au Revoir, Pleasant Dreams" was recorded by Ben Bernie and his orchestra.

1958 - Buddy Holly and Maria Elena Santiago were married in a private ceremony at his parents home in Lubbock, TX.

1965 - The Beatles set a record for having the largest single crowd at a concert at Shea Stadium in New York. Attendance was 56,000.
    Today in Beatles History

1969 - The Woodstock Music and Art Fair began in Bethel, NY. The three-day concert featured 24 bands and drew over 400,000 people.

1979 - Led Zeppelin's album "In Through the Out Door" was released. This was the last album released by the band prior to the death of John Bonham.

1975 - Peter Gabriel officially announced that he was leaving the group Genesis. Phil Collins would be the new lead singer after the group auditioned more than 400 potential musicians.

1987 - On the tenth anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley thousands of people marched past his grave in Memphis, TN.

1991 - Paul Simon played a free concert at New York's Central Park in front of an estimated 750,000 people.

1997 - Tony Nicole Tony Records filed suit against Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of KISS for alleged intentional interference with KISS drummer Peter Criss' contract with the label. The suit maintained that Simmons and Stanley convinced Criss to break his contract with the label.

2006 - Deana Martin's album "Memories Are Made of This" was released on CD. The album featured her versions of many of her father's hits and other hits by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr..

Rosie:devilwag:

begreen61 likes this.
  10. crogers

On this day in 1977 popular music icon Elvis Presley dies in Memphis, Tennessee. He was 42. The death of the "King of Rock and Roll" brought legions of mourning fans to Graceland, his mansion in Memphis. Doctors said he died of a heart attack, likely brought on by his addiction to prescription barbiturates.

Well, they CLAIM he died. I don't believe it. I saw him in WalMart a couple weeks ago. :realfunny:

Greened out with my... wait a minute! :madaddy::madaddy:

Passed out some greens. Hope y'all have a great weekend! :thumbsup:

hienho, Dutchtracker and begreen61 like this.
  11. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Morning my friends ,on this day:devilwag:

hienho and GEEZER like this.
  12. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

August 16, 1977.
    Elvis Presley died...

begreen61, souljahgonecyko and zorro like this.
  13. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

In the place that one day I would like to go.

The toilet.​

14. zorro

On this day............

After 2 days of shitting in the woods, I really appreciate indoor plumbing. :)

Greened who I could. :devilwag:

15. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Wonder what a bear would say...? :unintroduced:

16. zorro

It's a picnic basket boo boo? :)

17. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

:fixed:

Kelper likes this.
  18. zorro

Thank you. :)

Kelper likes this.
  19. GAMBIT

GAMBIT The Protector of the Pro-Tech Brigade Member

August 18th: On this Day in rock:

1962, Ringo Starr made his debut with The Beatles at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo

1969, Mick Jagger was accidentally shot in the hand during filming of Ned Kelly in Australia. The film was dogged by problems: Jagger's girlfriend of the time, Marianne Faithfull, had gone to Australia to play the lead female role (Ned's sister, Maggie), but the Jagger-Faithfull relationship was breaking up, and she took an overdose of sleeping tablets soon after arrival in Sydney resulting in being hospitalised in a coma, and pulling out of the film.

1976, 'Variety' reported that Marvin Gaye faced two consecutive five day prison terms in Los Angeles county jail for contempt of court after failing to pay alimony and child support.

1977, The Police made their live debut as a three-piece band when they played at Rebecca's Birmingham, England. The Police became globally popular in the late 1970s and are generally regarded as one of the first New Wave groups to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock that was influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz.

1979, AC/DC, Nils Lofgren, The Stranglers and The Who all appeared at Wembley Stadium, London, England.

1992, Kurt Cobain became a father when his wife Courtney Love gave birth to a daughter.

1949, Born on this day, Nigel Griggs bass, Split Enz, (1980 UK No.12 single 'I Got You').

1950, Born on this day, Dennis Elliott, drums, Foreigner, (1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is').

1952, Born on this day, Patrick Swayze, actor, singer, (1988 US No.3 & UK No.17 single with Wendy Fraser, 'She's Like The Wind'). Swayze died from pancreatic cancer on September 14, 2009.

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  20. Kelper

:thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

Well I never zorro, I go off for a couple of days and your having problems with plumbing do you have nieghbours? friends? etc.

On with this day greened all I can as I go.

August 18th: On this Day
    1962, Ringo Starr made his debut with The Beatles at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo. More on Ringo Starr
    1964, Over 9,000 frenzied fans met The Beatles as they arrived in San Francisco, to begin an American tour. The Beatles were driven into a protective fence enclosure so that photographers could take pictures. As the 9,000 fans pressed against the fencing, it gave way, with The Beatles managing to get out split-seconds before it came crashing down.
    1966, Paul Jones left Manfred Mann just as ‘Pretty Flamingo’ was climbing the US charts. He was replaced by singer Mike D’Abo, who would take over lead vocals on the bands next hit, ‘The Mighty Quinn,’ a song written by Bob Dylan.
    1969, Mick Jagger was accidentally shot in the hand during filming of Ned Kelly in Australia. The film was dogged by problems: Jagger's girlfriend of the time, Marianne Faithfull, had gone to Australia to play the lead female role (Ned's sister, Maggie), but the Jagger-Faithfull relationship was breaking up, and she took an overdose of sleeping tablets soon after arrival in Sydney resulting in being hospitalised in a coma, and pulling out of the film.
    [more]
    1973, Diana Ross scored her second US No.1 single with 'Touch Me In The Morning'. The song marked a turning point in her career, coming immediately after her Academy Award nomination for Best Actress in her acting debut, Lady Sings the Blues.
    1976, 'Variety' reported that Marvin Gaye faced two consecutive five day prison terms in Los Angeles county jail for contempt of court after failing to pay alimony and child support. The Prince Of Motown
    1977, The Police made their live debut as a three-piece band when they played at Rebecca's Birmingham, England. The Police became globally popular in the late 1970s and are generally regarded as one of the first New Wave groups to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock that was influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz. More on The Police
    1977, Two Missouri girls were killed and a third was critically injured when a car being driven by an 18-year-old Memphis teen swerved into a crowd of over 2,000 mourners standing in front of Graceland's music gate at about 4am. The driver was charged with drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident and two counts of second degree murder.
    1979, Nick Lowe married Johnny Cash's stepdaughter Carlene Carter in Los Angeles. The couple are now divorced.
    1979, AC/DC, Nils Lofgren, The Stranglers and The Who all appeared at Wembley Stadium, London, England.
    [more]
    1979, Chic went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Good Times', the group's second US No.1, a No.5 hit in the UK.
    1982, The City of Liverpool named four Streets after the fab four: John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive.
    [more]
    1983, The Police plus Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and R.E.M. (their biggest gig to date) all appeared at Shea Stadium, New York City. More on The Police
    1984, George Michael was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his first solo single 'Careless Whisper.' It made George the first person to reach No.1 as a solo artist and a member of a band in the same year. It gave Epic records UK their first UK million seller and the song was No.1 in nearly 25 countries, selling over six million copies worldwide. More on George Michael
    1986, Bon Jovi released their third studio album, Slippery When Wet, which peaked at No.1 on the US charts, going on to sell over 28 million copies worldwide. The set featured two US chart toppers, 'You Give Love A Bad Name' and 'Livin’ On A Prayer'.
    [more]
    1991, Rick Griffin, died after being forced off the road by a van he was attempting to pass on his Harley Heritage Softail motorbike. One of his best known album covers was for the Grateful Dead's 'Aoxomoa' LP, and the legendary "Flying Eyeball" poster he designed for a series of concerts in San Francisco featuring the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Albert King and John Mayall. More on Jimi Hendrix
    1991, Sweet Jesus appeared at the Boardwalk, Manchester. Support act was The Rain (later to become Oasis), minus Noel Gallagher who had yet to join his brothers band.
    [more]
    1992, Kurt Cobain became a father when his wife Courtney Love gave birth to a daughter. More on Kurt Cobain
    2003, Tony Jackson bass player with The Searchers died of cirrhosis of the liver. The Searchers had the 1964 UK No.1 & US No.13 single 'Needles And Pins'.
    2005, Kanye West called for an end to homophobia in the hip-hop community during an MTV interview saying ‘hip-hop was always about speaking your mind and about breaking down barriers, but everyone in hip-hop discriminates against gay people. Not just hip-hop, but America just discriminates, I wanna just, to come on TV and just tell my rappers, just tell my friends, 'Yo, stop it'."
    [more]
    2006, Justin Hawkins the lead singer of The Darkness checked himself into the Priory rehabilitation clinic suffering from exhaustion after three years of non-stop work.
    [more]
    2006, US film-maker Adam Muskiewicz set up elviswanted.com as part of a documentary exploring the myth that the singer was still alive and offered a $3m (£1.59m) reward for anybody who found Elvis Presley alive. The film was due for release in August 2007, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of Presley's death.
    [more]
    2006, Babyshambles front man Pete Doherty appeared at Thames Magistrates court in London to face seven charges of drug possession.
    [more]
    2008, Soul singer Pervis Jackson died of cancer. Was a member of The Spinners (Also known as The Motown Spinners and The Detroit Spinners). Had the 1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You'.
    2010, French beauty brand Etat Libre D'Orange announced that they have teamed up with The Sex Pistols to bottle the scent of the Punk era by launching the band's first fragrance. Company executives said "to wear this scent, you must resist tradition, fight conformity, and disregard aromatic conventions." More on the Sex Pistols
    August 18th: Born on this day
    1930, Born on this day, Johnny Preston, US singer, (1960 US & UK No.1 single 'Running Bear'. Preston died on March 4, 2011.
    1942, Born on this day, Sarah Dash, Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').
    1944, Born on this day, Carl Wayne, singer, The Move, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry way'). Wayne died of cancer on 31st Aug 2004.
    [more]
    1945, Born on this day, Nona Hendryx, Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').
    1945, Born on this day, Barbara Harris, singer, The Toys, 1965 US No. 2 & UK No.5 single 'A Lover's Concerto').
    1949, Born on this day, Nigel Griggs bass, Split Enz, (1980 UK No.12 single 'I Got You').
    1950, Born on this day, Dennis Elliott, drums, Foreigner, (1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is').
    1951, Born on this day, John Rees, Men At Work, (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Down Under').
    1952, Born on this day, Patrick Swayze, actor, singer, (1988 US No.3 & UK No.17 single with Wendy Fraser, 'She's Like The Wind'). Swayze died from pancreatic cancer on September 14, 2009.
    1956, Born on this day Tony Garnier American bassist, best known as an accompanist to Bob Dylan, with whom he has played since 1989. He is Dylan's longest-running sideman and was also a long-time sideman for David Johansen in his Buster Poindexter persona, and was also briefly a member of the Saturday Night Live house band.
    1957, Born on this day, Ron Strykert, Men At Work, (1983 UK and US No.1 single 'Down Under').
    1967, Born on this day, Dan Peters, drums, Mudhoney, (1991 UK No.60 single 'Let It Slide').
    1967, Born on this day, Tracy Tracy, The Primitives, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Crash').
    1969, Born on this day, Erik Schrody, Irish-American rapper and singer-songwriter, House Of Pain, (1993 UK No.3 single 'Jump Around'). Member of Everlast, (1999 UK No. 34 single 'What It's Like').
    1971, Born on this day, Richard James, Aphex Twin (1993 UK No.32 single 'On').
    1977, Born on this day, Canadian multi-instrumentalist and singer, Régine Chassagne, founding member of Arcade Fire. (She is married to co-founder Win Butler).
    1983, Born on this day, Mika, (Mica Penniman), UK singer, (2007 UK No.1 single 'Grace Kelly' and 2007 UK No.1 album 'Life in Cartoon Motion').

Rosie:devilwag: