1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

On this day, the daily facts thread

zorro Jul 15, 2014

1. zorro

zorro The pointy end goes into the other man Brigade Member

On this day............

In 064 - The Great Fire of Rome began.
    :firedevil :panic:

1536 - The authority of the pope was declared void in England.
    :banned3:

1743 - "The New York Weekly Journal" published the first half-page newspaper ad.
    :newspaper:

1935 - Ethiopian King Haile Selassie urged his countrymen to fight to the last man against the invading Italian army.
    :capslock::obey::obey::obey:

1936 - The first Oscar Meyer Wienermobile rolled out of General Body Company’s factory in Chicago, IL.
    :mechanic:

1942 - The German Me-262, the first jet-propelled aircraft to fly in combat, made its first flight.
    :snoopy_flies:

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

1799: The Rosetta Stone was found.

And they've been selling it on late night TV every since! :bwah:

Still timed out. Back with the greens later.

Yay!! Sent the greens! Have a GREAT weekend my brothers and sisters!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
    begreen61, Frickbot, GEEZER and 3 others like this.
  3. zorro

On this day............

In 1801 - A 1,235 pound cheese ball was pressed at the farm of Elisha Brown, Jr. The ball of cheese was later loaded on a horse-driven wagon and presented to U.S. President Thomas Jefferson at the White House.
    :yum:

1868 - Legislation that ordered U.S. tax stamps to be placed on all cigarette packs was passed.
    :signhere:

1881 - Sioux Indian leader Sitting Bull, a fugitive since the Battle of the Little Big Horn, surrendered to federal troops. (Montana)
    :how:

1908 - In the United States, the Sullivan Ordinance bars women from smoking in public facilities.
    :female: :eric:

1969 - Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr. became the first men to walk on the moon.
    :astronaut::astronaut:

1976 - America's Viking I robot spacecraft made a successful landing on Mars.
    :UFO:

2003 - In India, elephants used for commercial work began wearing reflectors to avoid being hit by cars during night work.
    :NSFW2:

begreen61, souljahgonecyko and GEEZER like this.
  4. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

969 - Duke Ellington and a portion of his band performed a 10-minute composition on ABC-TV titled, "Moon Maiden." The event took place just one day after Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon.

1976 - KISS released the album "The Originals."

1979 - Robert Palmer's "Bad Case Of Loving You" was released.

1980 - AC\DC released "Back In Black." It was their first album with Brian Johnson as lead singer.
    (Official AC/DC Merchandise)

1980 - Keith Godchaux (Grateful Dead) was injured in a car accident. He died two days later.

1987 - Guns 'n Roses released their debut album, "Appetite For Destruction."

1989 - Weird Al Yankovic's first movie, "UHF," opened.

1990 - Roger Waters staged a production of "The Wall" at Potsdamer Platz, Germany. Sinead O'Connor, Bryan Adams, Phil Collins and Cyndi Lauper among others took part in the benefit.

1990 - BBC's Radio One apologized to listeners after Madonna repeatedly cursed during a live concert broadcast.
    Madonna Merchandise

1996 - Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) was arrested for allegedly hitting a fan that was trying to take his picture in a hotel in North Carolina.

1997 - C. Delores Tucker filed suit against the estate of late rapper Tupac Shakur. The suit alleged intentional infliction of emotional distress, slander, and invasion of privacy due to derogatory lyrics about Tucker. The lyrics about Tucker, a lobbyist against gangsta rap lyrics, were on Shakur's last album, "All Eyez On Me."

1998 - The Beastie Boys began touring for "Hello Nasty," their fifth release.

1998 - Eagle-Eye Cherry released his debut "Desireless."

1999 - Charley Pride received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It was the 2,140th star to be dedicated.

2009 - The iTunes Music Store reached 8 billion songs sold.

2010 - In New York City, Foxy Brown was arrested for violating a protection order.

Home work done library closing
    Hope to shove some greens around

Rosie:devilwag:

souljahgonecyko and GEEZER like this.
  5. Kelper

That kept me busy copy and pasting lol

StumbleUpon

July 22nd: On this Day
    1963, The Beatles kicked of a UK tour with Gerry and the Pacemakers and Tommy Quickly, at the Odeon Cinema, Weston-Super-Mare.
    1963, The Beatles' first US album, Introducing The Beatles was pressed by Vee-Jay Records, who thought they had obtained the legal rights from EMI affiliate, Trans-Global Records. When it was finally released in January, 1964, Capitol Records would hit Vee Jay with an injunction against manufacturing, distributing, advertising, or otherwise disposing of records by the Beatles. After a trial, Vee-Jay was allowed to release any Beatles records that they had masters of in any form until October 15th, 1964. After that time, they no longer had the right to issue any Beatles product.
    1965, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones and Bill Wyman from The Rolling Stones were each fined £5 at East Ham Magistrates Court, London, after being found guilty of 'insulting behaviour' at a Romford Road service station. The three had all urinated against a wall after the service station attendant had refused them the use of the facilities.
    [more]
    1967, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Big Brother & the Holding Co. appeared at the Convention Hall, San Diego, California.
    1967, Pink Floyd appeared at The Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, Scotland. The venue is home to one of Scotland's finest dance floors - famous for its bounce - which floats on fixed steel springs. During the 1960s The Beatles, (in 1963), The Small Faces and Cream all appeared at the Beach.
    1969, Aretha Franklin was arrested for causing a disturbance in a Detroit parking lot. After posting 50-dollars bail, she ran down a road sign while leaving the police station.
    1971, John and Yoko spent the second day filming the ‘Imagine’ promotional film at their home in Tittenhurst Park Ascot, England. Today's footage included the morning walk on the grounds though the mist and John Lennon singing ‘Imagine’ in the white room on his white piano. More on John Lennon
    1977, Stiff Records released 'My Aim Is True' the debut album from Elvis Costello in the UK. The musicians who were featured on the album were uncredited on the original release (due to contractual difficulties), although the backing band was made up of members of the band Clover. More on Stiff Records
    1979, Little Richard, now known as the Reverend Richard Pennman told his congregation about the evils of rock & roll music, declaring 'If God can save an old homosexual like me, he can save anybody.' More on Little Richard
    1989, Former actress Martika started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Toy Soldiers', a No.5 hit in the UK.
    1989, Courtney Love married her first husband James Moreland who was the singer with LA band Leaving Trains.
    1989, Simply Red scored their first UK No.1 album with their third release 'A New Flame'.
    [more]
    1989, Sonia was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You'll Never Stop Me Loving You'. The Stock, Aitken & Waterman produced song was the Liverpool singers only UK chart topper.
    1989, The soundtrack album 'Batman' by Prince started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.
    1996, Donovan was forced to postpone a comeback tour of the US because of a 30-year-old marijuana conviction in the UK. American authorities delayed granting him a waiver to enter the country.
    2000, Oasis appeared at London's Wembley Stadium, the gig was broadcast live around the world on TV. More on Oasis
    2003, Coldplay played the second of two nights at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney, Australia on their A Rush of Blood to the Head World Tour.
    2004, French singer and guitarist Sacha Distel died after a long battle with deteriorating health. He scored the 1970 UK No.10 single 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.' As a professional jazz guitarist he worked alongside Dizzy Gillespie and Tony Bennett.
    2004, American singer, songwriter and producer Arthur Crier died of heart failure. Member of The Chimes and had worked with Little Eva, Gene Pitney, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Ben E. King, Johnny Nash and The Coasters.
    2005, Founder member and singer with The Chi-lites, Eugene Record died of cancer. Had the 1972 US No.1 single 'Oh Girl' and 1972 UK No.3 single 'Have You Seen Her.' He also released three solo albums.
    2005, Research by a car insurance company showed that listening to the wrong sort of music when driving can lead to aggression and distraction. Dr Nicola Dibben a music psychologist said ‘singing while driving stimulates the mind.’ Songs recommended included Pulp’s ‘Disco 2000’ and ‘Hey Ya’ by Outcast, but the Dr said songs like The Prodigy’s 'Firestarter' should be avoided.
    2006, Johnny Cash was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘American V: A Hundred Highways.’ Released posthumously on July 4, the vocal parts were recorded before Cash's death, but the instruments were not recorded until 2005. More on Johnny Cash
    2007, Welsh singer Paul Potts started a three week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'One Chance.' Potts became the winner of the first series of ITV's Britain's Got Talent show.
    2007, Ja Rule and Lil Wayne were arrested after a concert in Manhattan on charges of carrying illegal firearms. The rappers were arrested separately, Rule was stopped for speeding when a weapon was discovered in his car and officers who arrested Wayne for smoking marijuana also found a pistol in his car.
    July 22nd: Born on this day
    1941, Born on this day, George Clinton, (1994 UK No.22 single 'Bop Gun'), Parliament, Funkadelic, (1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove').
    1941, Born on this day, Keith Sweat, US singer, (1988 UK No.26 single 'I Want Her').
    1943, Born on this day, Bobby Sherman, US singer, (1969 US No.3 single 'Little Woman' and six other US Top 30 hits).
    1944, Born on this day, Estelle Bennett, The Ronettes, (1963 US No.4 & UK No.4 single 'Be My Baby'). Died at her home in Englewood, N.J. on 11th Feb 2009, aged 67.
    1944, Born on this day, Rick Davis, vocalist and keyboardist with Supertramp, who had the 1979 UK No.7 and US No.6 single with 'The Logical Song' and the 1979 US No.1 and UK No.3 album Breakfast In America. Davies is the only member of Supertramp to have been with the group for their entire history, and has composed many of their most well-known songs, including 'Goodbye Stranger', and 'Bloody Well Right'.
    [more]
    1947, Born on this day, Don Henley, singer, songwriter, and drummer with The Eagles, who had the 1977 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Hotel California', plus 5 US No.1 albums. The Eagles 'Greatest Hits 1971-1975' is the second biggest selling album in the world with sales over 30m. Henley had the 1985 solo US No.5 & UK No.12 single 'The Boys of Summer'.
    [more]
    1956, Born on this day, Mick Pointer, drummer Marillion, (1985 UK No.2 single 'Kayleigh').
    1963, Born on this day, Emily Saliers, guitar, vocals, Indigo Girls, (1989 US No.22 album 'Indigo Girls').
    1964, Born on this day, William Calhoun, drums, Living Colour, (1991 UK No.12 single 'Love Rears Its Ugly Head').
    1967, Born on this day, Pat Badger, bass, Extreme, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'More Than Words').
    [more]
    1971, Born on this day, Chris Helme, vocals, The Seahorses, (1997 UK No.3 single 'Love Is The Law', UK No.2 album, 'Do It Yourself').
    1973, Born on this day, Daniel Jones, Savage Garden, (1998 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Truly Madly Deeply').
    1973, Born on this day, Rufus Wainwright, Canadian / American, singer-songwriter, son of Loudon Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle and the brother of Martha Wainwright. 2003 album ‘Want One’, 2005 UK No.21 album ‘Want Two’, 2007 UK No.2 album 'Release the Stars.'

Rosie:devilwag:

souljahgonecyko and Frickbot like this.
  6. zorro

You after my job Rosie? :bwah:

Kelper likes this.
  7. zorro

On this day............

In 1587 - A second English colony was established on Roanoke Island off North Carolina. The colony vanished under mysterious circumstances.
    :ropeman:

1796 - Cleveland was founded by General Moses Cleaveland.
    :weownthat:

1798 - The USS Constitution was underway and out to sea for the first time since being launched on October 21, 1797.
    :sailor:

1812 - English troops under the Duke of Wellington defeated the French at the Battle of Salamanca in Spain.
    :nutkick:

1933 - Wiley Post ended his around-the-world flight. He had traveled 15,596 miles in 7 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes.
    :worldwide: :aviator:

2000 - Astronomers at the University of Arizona announced that they had found a 17th moon orbiting Jupiter.
    :spacedevil:

2009 - The longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, lasting up to 6 minutes and 38.8 seconds, occurred over parts of Asia and the Pacific Ocean.
    :ohmajesus: :Praying:

2011 - Space Shuttle Atlantis landed successfully at Kennedy Space Center after completing STS-135. It was the final flight of NASA's space shuttle program.
    :UFO: :astronaut: :Applause:

Kelper, begreen61 and Frickbot like this.
  8. Kelper

zorro darling I would not take your job. Just helping the sleepy old man have a break.You are a real poster as I do not have time to put in all the animated stuff. :realposter:

So Today in History
    July 23
    1627 Sir George Calvert arrives in Newfoundland to develop his land grant.
    1637 King Charles of England hands over the American colony of Massachusetts to Sir Fernando Gorges, one of the founders of the Council of New England.
    1664 Wealthy, non-church members in Massachusetts are given the right to vote.
    1793 The French garrison at Mainz, Germany, falls to the Prussians.
    1803 Irish patriots throughout the country rebel against Union with Great Britain.
    1829 William A. Burt patents his "typographer," an early typewriter.
    1849 German rebels in Baden capitulate to the Prussians.
    1863 Bill Andeson and his Confederate Bushwackers gut the railway station at Renick, Missouri.
    1865 William Booth founds the Salvation Army.
    1868 The 14th Amendment is ratified, granting citizenship to African Americans.
    1885 Ulysses S. Grant dies of throat cancer at the age of 63.
    1894 Japanese troops take over the Korean imperial palace.
    1903 The Ford Motor Company sells its first automobile, the Model A.
    1944 Soviet troops take Lublin, Poland as the German army retreats.
    1962 The Geneva Conference on Laos forbids the United States to invade eastern Laos.
    1995 Two astronomers, Alan Hale in New Mexico and Thomas Bopp in Arizona, almost simultaneouly discover a comet.

Born on July 23
    1834 James Gibbons, American religious leader and founder of Catholic University.
    1886 Arthur Whitten Brown, British aviator.
    1888 Raymond Chandler, detective writer, creator of Philip Marlow.
    1891 Haile Selassi, Emperor of Ethiopia.
    1906 Marston Bates, American zoologist, author (The Nature of Natural History).
    1939 Nicholas Gage, journalist and author (Eleni).
    1940 John Nichols, novelist and essayist (The Milagro Beanfield War).
    1944 Lisa Alther, novelist (Kinflicks).

On this day in 2014 I have been offered three jobs.
    1 is a chance to go back to working the mowing with a bigger team.
    2 is a real offer subject to confirmation this week. Is to work in a thrift store which I know I can do, but would want to buy too many goodies for the fleamarket.
    3rd is to work in a dry cleaners of which I have had no experience.

So on this day tomorrow, I may be able to let you know just which I am going to do. All are year round work!!!!

As for the lovely green, I maybe able to figure out who did this, if I do will let you know.

Rosie :devilwag:

zorro and begreen61 like this.
  9. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

On this day I greened every one I could.

Kelper, Bruce2, zorro and 2 others like this.
  10. souljahgonecyko

souljahgonecyko Huge member

On This day in 2014, I could only green begreen61 in this thread.

And Kelper, I greened you "Greens to you Kelper!! -souljahgonecyko" the last time. I'll try to recharge! :manganr:

Kelper, hienho, begreen61 and 2 others like this.
  11. TPetsch

TPetsch Ice Cold Handshake

Interesting tidbit that I recall happened on this date in 45'

1945 - A B-25 bomber crashes into the Empire State Building killing 14 people.

12. crogers

1847: Mormons settle Salt Lake Valley

Well, so much for history. It was either that of Nixon vs. Khrushchev in the "kitchen debate" from 1959!

Passed out what I could to whomever I could.

Have a great day!!

Kelper, begreen61 and TPetsch like this.
  13. zorro

Thanks Rosie. :manganr:

On this day, in 1987 - Hulda Crooks, at 91 years of age, climbed Mt. Fuji. Hulda became the oldest person to climb Japan’s highest peak.

:clap:

begreen61, Gecko and Bruce2 like this.
  14. Kelper

your welcome zorro

Tonight I have nothing to share with you. Tomorrow I get to start my new job.

Walked forever in miles to get my car but they said it could not be fixed. So could not work today. However, I was very lucky to have a buddy of mine shout where are you going? I thought oh no not another one. I said no need for a ride I dont know you. he shouts its Mike I helped you move few months ago. There he was. Rescued, ended up with so worn out from the heat. I was glad of a ride.

Tomorrow I mow.

Hope this Nissan Stanza holds up or this old girl is going to smack someones head. Hope the Salvation Army keeps me in as promised. Kind of learnt not to take something for granted anymore.

Rosie :devilwag: See you all sometime next week as I have no idea of hours etc.

15. crogers

1978: World's first "test tube baby" born!

And sex will NEVER be the same!

Couldn't give out ANY green on this thread, so I gave it away elsewhere!

:tgif: Errybody!!

souljahgonecyko, Kelper and zorro like this.
  16. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

"Listen what the man said"

Seam i give I green you all so much ,It feels like weeks before I can hit you up again .So like Chris Im going to throw some greens to a few newbies and anyone else that crosses my posts.God I can Remember 30/40 people whoreing green a few years back.

Anyways He who read my bullshit , make the luck follow you all day and have a great day . ::devilwag:

17. zorro

On this day............

In 1775 - A postal system was established by the 2nd Continental Congress of the United States. The first Postmaster General was Benjamin Franklin.
    :realitycheck:

1881 - Thomas Edison and Patrick Kenny execute a patent application for a facsimile telegraph (U.S. Pat. 479,184).
    :help:

1907 - The Chester was launched. It was the first turbine-propelled ship.
    :pirateship:

1971 - Apollo 15 was launched from Cape Kennedy, FL.
    :UFO:

1998 - AT&T and British Telecommunications PLC announced they were forming a joint venture to combine international operations and develop a new Internet system.
    :popups:

Kelper likes this.
  18. Kelper

On this day poor old Rosie, finds it hard to keep awake th ese days.

Reason. that thing called work, and I love it.

Done fleamarket weekend both days. Love the new job, it is great just being out and doing something/

Also learnt do no trust me with a cellphone on face book. sorry zorro got in a jam and accidently deleted a message.

Rosie :devilwag:

Ronin0821 likes this.
  19. zorro

You are forgiven. :manganr:

Glad things are finally working out for you my dear. :tiny:

Kelper and Ronin0821 like this.
  20. GAMBIT

GAMBIT The Protector of the Pro-Tech Brigade Member

On this day in 1953 Geddy Lee of RUSH was born.:manganr: