1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

OG S.Q.A.T. (Stupid Question Amnesty Thread)

FL[!]P Sep 30, 2011

1. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I think his red rep helped with the low sale value. Also the modding work. While knife modding can be cool and tasteful it doesnt always bring up knife value.

I personally think the hidden tang design is a classey and streamlined look. Since they aren't made that way anymore it would keep their value up. The 3.0's hardware doesn't neccessarily mean it will be a better flipper. A tuned 2.0 also has very little play.

2. crick0234

crick0234 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

i can't recall the blade or handle play on the 1.0's but i do recall its cuz they were using t6 screws vs the 2.0's t8 or 3.0's t10.

regardless, i just noticed my beater pAB3.0 tip's gone, along with markings on the spacers :/

werent the spacers updated in the 3.0's to prevent that?

3. b_luntz

b_luntz Huge member

But his was crowned and peeled by Matt Cook, that has to bring value up, no?! Well I'm glad you think the ab wasn't overpriced! Those tang cups just looked so neat the first time I saw them!

4. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

peeled, crowned, by who whatever... it looked generally in very flipped/used condition. don't be hurt or lose sleep over it

5. b_luntz

b_luntz Huge member

I'm totally not!

I am how ever getting nervous.. Said he shipped it yesterday but haven't been able to get ahold of him st all today to get a tracking number. Were both supposed to ship Saturday but he said he missed the post office. My knife arrived at his place Monday, the same day he sent mine. I'm sure all is fine, just wish he'd have sent tracking. Will keep updated

6. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I can't believe we're talking about the tang cups increasing value on the knife! The larger hardware on the 3.0 is more robust and that alone is mechanically worth more.

There were never any reports of blade collisions on the 1.0 and 2.0. I'm not sure how the 3.0 had collisions since the blade and spacer design remain unchanged but the spacers look slightly larger in my 3.0.

I believe you're thinking of the Rep that had a slightly reprofiled spacer.

7. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Hey, man. That's just like... your opinion or something.

I like the partially milled tang cups better personally. I've never had an issue with the hardware on my 1.0 besides the bronze bushings but those were replaced and no problems since. 2.0 is probably the best all around Alpha Beast in my opinion.

The 3.0 I used to have collided with the spacers. The Alt Beast did have reprofiled spacers to fix the collision issue.
    http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...east-3-0-Blade-Tip-Hitting-Spacers?highlight=

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  8. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have blade marks on both my rep and AB spacers

The screw heads on my 2.0 would pop off constantly from flipping and dropping. I actually think the screw heads were warping from being dropped repeatedly there for increasing the handle play, then eventually they would just pop off leaving the screw stuck in the pivot with no screw head.

My 3.0 has been perfect. With minimal "break in" play due to the larger hardware :madaddy: and I love it :manganr:

And I don't care how the tang cups look.

9. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don't know why but I've never once had a screw head pop off from flipping. I have replaced mine with different T8 screws though.

10. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

There's really only so much a 2-56 screw can take. With a large torx driver, it's fairly easy to twist off the head.

Despite that, the steel bushings were way better than the PB ones. I had my 1.0 sent in at some point to be upgraded to a 2.0 and it's totally night and day despite looking almost same.

11. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah, those steel bushing are a great upgrade. BIG difference in durability overall.

12. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

So I was reading the FAQ for Blade because I plan on going down next year. It said the building blade was housed in strictly prohibited CCW and even knives being brought in. Is this really enforced? I don't plan on concealed carry but I didnt know they wouldn't let me carry my pocket knife into.... Blade show:unintroduced:

13. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

I can't imagine any person there not having at least one knife on them. I usually have multiple and I see people walking around with multiple. Thousands of people walking around with multiple knives on them at all times.

14. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I figured it was just a "rule" :jdwink2:
    One more stupid question :unintroduced:
    For those of you whom have purchased at blade, do you recommend putting knives in checked luggage or mailing them home?

15. Sir Billiam

Sir Billiam JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

All my knives came into Atlanta in checked luggage and left Atlanta in checked luggage. I purchased insurance on my bag (for like 10$?)... just in case anything happened.

16. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I'll keep note of that when I visit, checked luggage it is:thumbsup:

17. aperdue

aperdue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So does anyone know how to tell when the Barebones will be hitting the shelves? Will BRS send out an email to give people a heads up? Will BHQ? I have a Basilisk on its way and would like to get something from BRS too.

18. ytsu12

ytsu12 Little member

Getting a new balisong

I am trying to decide between a Marfione Tachyon 3, or a BRS Alpha Beast Premium. Any suggestions or other knives in that price range that I should check out?

(I am a new flipper and have not used either or any similar balisongs (but I am looking for one that flips well, and that is smooth) my only bali atm is a BM 62, and a FlyFather)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  19. Jvamis

Jvamis International Devil Welcome Squad Leader JDBA Official Member

20. Kluber

Kluber Little member

For questions like these we have this thread *click*

The beast is a solid choice, replicant (althou havent handled it myself has to be buildt with the same quality as beast)

Or you can try to hunt down one from jerry hom. You wont be dissapointed.