1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

NRB Designs Trapcode

sadnaps Jun 22, 2018

1. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Umm, lemme go ask ron something real quick.

2. sage

sage JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The comment was a quip directed at the statement Sean made about him not liking "pissing contests", not an attack on the overall content of his message. Rather it was an attempt, albeit poor, to inject levity into the thread, and maybe diffuse the drama a little. Guess you didn't see it that way. There was a mountain of drama before either of our comments, don't think our two texts contributed much to it.

In the end, the knife designer is still answering a barage of hostile questions directed at him, heroically. Sorry for the failed attempt at humor.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My bad then :) I did entirely miss it.

I don't know how long you've been following the 'false boy', but he has not had the best path.

I do not wish to make this a shit storm. I merely want things clear for all parties. If the people buying his knives don't mind his methods then fuck it Yea?

sage likes this.
  4. sage

Thanks Des. I do think this guy sees the harm he has done to his reputation already, both by bashing a company that rules this market and creating a product that had some loose ends and was released prematurely. If he's bright, he will learn from this and create something we all can enjoy.

5. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

The shimming isn't functional, it is a fucking noise dampener. You act like this is the craziest and most insulting thing in a product ever.

The zen pins work without the paper. it just rattles in the hole. The noise issue is much less of an issue than BRS bushings, which are nowhere near as tight as I have seen Garrets.

Garret admits he had a small issue in the manufacture of his first knife run. One that doesn't affect the performance, appearance, or durability of his product. A mistake that won't be repeated.

BRS dropped premiums last July that had major aesthetic, performance, and consistency issues. They released them anyway without notifying their customers of these arguably bigger issues. They made no public apology and kept on keeping on.

You don't attack brs because you like the owners, and their business practices. You turn the blind eye to issues and justify them to yourself and others.

You attack Garret because you don't like him. So you find anything you can to attack and defame, blowing any teeny infraction out of proportion. A desperate attempt to justify yourself, to be on the moral high ground. You are acting like a snowflake, all of you, for that matter.

It was a small noise issue that required a dampener.

(also I don't buy Garret's products or services for other reasons, y'all are just acting dumb as fuck)

6. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Your apologizing for Garretts actions because they are not a functional issue yet you rip BRS for the same thing.

BRS designs purpose driven knives - it's right in their slogan ....Tap and bladerub are 100% made up non functional issues.

Surely you can see the hypocrisy here?

7. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is'nt a BRS thread and for some reason you keep referring to them. What gives!?

I suggest you start a new thread if that's what you want to talk about.

Post pictures of all these faulty BRS knives that you speak of. All I've heard you do is parrot the false boy... who has all but admitted to being a liar :devilroll:

8. Ryanol

I saw one replicant that had g10 whiskers from being overly aggressively buffed maybe? My guess is he is referring to blade play - which is fake news. Shit you might as well get a bearing knife which flips terribly.

I really do honestly think Garrett doesn't really mean to come off as much of an ass as he does I think he just can't help it and he's been surrounded by yes boys over at Reddit.

But I don't think he has a firm grasp of the realities of scaling either ... here's one for instance.

I believe earlier in this thread he stated that he personally hand tunes each knife which takes him roughly 30 minutes I believe he said... so if we posit that he could reach BRS level of production for instance and he has drops of 200 units per drop and has 4 drops a year and each knife requiring .5 hrs of Garretts time. That's 400 hrs of labor 10 weeks if he works business hours, just for him to get the tuning done.

He also likes to talk about the cost of replacement hardware being too high and how hes going to offer it for free, when I am not even sure he has accounted for his time. Maybe he has an endicia account and has a dedicated shipping station but I just don't see any way shape or form where you can correspond and package and ship anything in under 10-15 minutes when you add it all up.

It's these kind of things that I don't think Garrett fully comprehends when he badmouths other larger manufacturers. Maybe he does IDK. It sure looks like he doesn't from the outside.

9. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

So what you are saying is that we shouldn't rip makers for non function issues? HOLY FUCK. And no I am not apologizing for Garret. I was comparing the actions of a company you obviously respect, and one you don't. Pointing out how one company arguably handled it worse than another.

Tap and bladerub is a non function issue, so is a paper shim to dampen rattle noise.

10. sage

Not quite sure why you keep deflecting to another companies QC issues. What does bashing them have to do with the quality of the knife that Garret is making?

I have owned many BRS (AB and Replicants) version 1.0 and later. I personally have not seen anything bad about the aesthetics, performance or consistency of these knives. Don't you think, with as many people on this JDBA forum as there are owning BRS products, their would be an uproar if this perceived notion of yours were true?

I don't know those BRS guys at all, and don't really care if I ever meet them. Pretty sure most on this forum have never met them either. I just like their knives. Pretty sure that is the gereral consensus regarding BRS knives.

11. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

G10 burrs yes, but also several awfully inconsistent anodizations.

12. BennytheBlade

Leave brs and any other balimaker out of this
    And if i had to guess the brs guys are not a fan of mine.

13. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

My whole point was that you guys don't like who Garret is, or how he does it, so you make a mountain out of a molehill. Yet Wouldn't bat an eye when things happened with BRS. All of you are right, ultimately all of BRS's issues didn't matter. Their knives still performed great and are quality.

14. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

Its not about BRS its about you guys. And how I see you guys carry yourselves when it comes to makers and companies you don't like. You are grasping for anything to justify how you feel.

15. Ryanol

Exactly! he should have left out the shims and either had rattle or had new pins made. But he couldn't leave the rattle - because he built his reputation bad mouthing others for rattle or tap and he didn't have new pins made because that would have cost money and or pushed back his deadlines.

He painted himself into a corner and I am quite certain he'll find himself in many more corners.

desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  16. BennytheBlade

I think if you look around you will find that a lot of the brs guys are not huge fans of mine.

17. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

I appreciate this opinion more than "the knife is total shit"

And I think that the paper as a temporary replacement, and then sending new pins to each customer. Or if the customer wished him holding it until the new pins arrived, would have been a better alternative.

And I agree, he talks a ton of shit, and I see how he should get less slack than other more respectful makers.

18. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

Plus one friend point to you.

19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Who are the BRS guys and why don't they like you!? :ropeman:

*** Maybe you'd have more fans if you learnt how to use the reply button? :bwah:

20. BennytheBlade

"Never" he said to no one in particular.

TakeMyFingers, desmodus and blkolb like this.