1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Not. A Railroad Spike.

Jim L. Sep 14, 2016

1. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Someone one posted something a while back about using "rail clips" to forge knives. I came across a few some time ago and decided to give it a whirl.

First thing was to straiten a 1 1/4 x1/2 in. omega shaped piece of steel into a workable bar (1 1/4 x 1/2 ×18 inch).

Then cut a 3 in. chunk from that and chuck it into the forge. After about 4 hours total forging I had a piece of steel 1 1/4 x 1/4 x 4 1/2.

After working a 12 hr. day, I was beat so I shut down for the night. Neighbors don't appreciate blacksmithing after 23:30 any way.

Next day after even more clean up from Hermine (2 1/2 oak trees down = metric buttload of charcoal later), I was back at it. End result after another 2 1/2 hrs. Was a knife shaped object in the form of a full tang drop point hunter with oal of 8 in. with a blade length of 5 in. Thickness about 5/16 in. tapering to 7/32 at the butt. "Ping" test came out with a nice bell-like peal.

All measurements are incrimants of "ish".

I'll post more as work progresses. I wish this phone would let me post pics. Thanks for looking,

Jim L.

2. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Me too! :bwah::devilcorn:

3. Bango Skank

Bango Skank Level: True Devil

I went on a hike the other day and at the top of the little mesa we walked to the was a transverse leaf spring off of some kind of Ford. The spring is stamped "Ford". They have not used that spring setup for quite some time. so I lugged it back to the forge and chopped it up. I am going to treat it like 5160. if anyone has any more info on these springs let me know. I plan to make two or three "combat" sized knives and a bunch of smaller utility knives. Maybe one short sword. the spring is about .25 inch thick if I remember right. they are going to be a rough and tumble bunch, I have no idea how long that spring has bee out there. There sure as hell wasn't any roads nearby.

It is a true story. I think God left it there for me to find. That was a good day.

Jim L. likes this.
  4. Jim L.

Wish we had pics to share.

Jim L.

5. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

pics or it didn't happen.

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

don't know why these put up so much of a fight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry about them being out of order.

7. Jim L.

Thanks for posting them, Des. All I can say is that every time I would try to post them I would get a response saying that the compression wasn't compatible.

Jim L.

8. desmodus

Yea, I had to scale them down quite a bit.

They were too damned big.