1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Mockingbird Horror

corjzg Apr 30, 2013

1. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

People who've described this as a "beautiful songbird" obviously never had to live near one in the spring. Or two in my case. ENDLESS screeching, chirping, whistling, catcalling, whirring all fucking night & LOUD. The show starts at 11pm with unrequested encores expected til 3am. It's like the 10 noisiest birds/bugs all squawking back-to-back-to-back.
    :ross:

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Prolific song bird. You're blessed. :ropeman:

3. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Crossman 760 Powermaster.

GEEZER likes this.
  4. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

+ 1 to the pellet rifle, I would borrow you mine but my dad is using it to shot the mockingbird outside his house.

5. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

At work every year, one will nest in a particular tree. Everyone walking down the sidewalk will get dive-bombed. Its very amusing. :bwah:

6. fod

fod Hand of the Box Master Knife Maker or Craftsman

The horror,

the horror.

:bwah:

7. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

Give Hitchcock a call, I am sure he can hook you up! I think they are cool birds, although a bit raucous. Seems like they only sing at night and that might just get under my skin. Don't know what to tell ya on this one? keepem sharp and good luck

8. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

mock this

they are just copying sounds. We had one that would copy the mail mans back up alarm. We would hear the beep- beep and run down to get the mail but nothing. and when they divebomb you, they are just protecting the nest. down here in Fl. they are here all year.Shit you want annoying flying things try lovebugs......

9. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

One used to sit up on my chimney and chirp at night and then wake me up early in the morning with it's chattering. Then one night I didn't hear it but there was a 'fluttering' in my fireplace. When I opened the flue, out popped the mockingbird full of ashes. He looked a little dazed but when I opened the front door and 'herded' him towards it... off he went. I put a screen cap on the chimney after that and haven't heard any mockingbirds warbling down my chimney since.

10. aBadMojo

aBadMojo Level: True Devil

NO SHIT!!! and if you don't scrub them off in a timely manner, their acidic little guts will damage the paint.:pissedevil:

11. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

i too hate the little fuckers they run off real song birds fling there poo and cant even be bothered to rear there own chicks (they put there eggs other birds nests)

12. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

We have plenty of Mockingbirds here also. My wife ENJOYS the cackling...

The ones I despise are them dang Starlings. Get plenty of practice dispatching them with the Rws Diana. (Cheap ammo.)

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE likes this.
  13. scott308

scott308 Huge member

"Exterminate the brutes" 1.0

1.0 Mr. Kurtz - Heart of Darkness

14. aBadMojo

aBadMojo Level: True Devil

I'll be damn. I never knew that.:manganr: TG for the internet.:thumbsup:

15. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

It's still going strong 12 hrs later, though a little farther away. In fairness, they are unbelievable mimics with a surreal sound range. This one alternated between a starling (we have plenty of those but they're only noisy in the day), a seagull, a piping plover,, a cicada, a human-like whistle, a car alarm's first 2 chirps, and maybe 5 others I couldn't place. They're super-territorial, but I think they nest up high (in my area) so no dive bombs. When I lived on the beach, there was a small wildlife conservation area for Piping Plovers front & center. They literally flew in circles all day/night chirping, and God help you if you went within 80 yards of their "area"...dive bomb city. In the daytime there are so many chirping birds here it sounds like a rainforest anyway, but that mockingbird is the only one going at night. They only do it before mating in the spring, esp around the full moon, so it's a temporary burden.
    ...& I cant kill it, despite the shiny new .177, 1000 ft/sec pellet rifle my roommate just inherited. 1. It's crack is way too loud & they're illegal to discharge here. 2. I was contracted by a friend to assassinate a bluebird once (doing the same thing to him). After a one-shot direct hit, I had to execute him b/c he was still alive & suffering. I was 12 then & haven't killed anything since, the guilt haunted me for-FUCKING-ever. If I'm not going to eat it, I can't justify killing it.

Now kindly fwd me any & all mockingbird recipes :manganr:

16. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Contact Harper Lee!

17. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I'm not 100% positive but I think the mockingbird lays its eggs in its own nest. The only bird I remember laying its eggs in other bird's nests is the cowbird.
    Now that I 'lost' my hearing, I miss hearing the mockingbird's repertoireno matter if it sings at night or all day long. :cry:

18. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Bird seed, honey, & rat poison.....:ropeman:

J/k.....of course:ropeman:

19. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

I got no problems' w/ birds singing..

However...

My neighbors make similar noises',all night long..:cry:

20. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013